IGNORED

My Swing (Sandhills Golfer)

Sandhills Golfer

(edited)
On 8/25/2015 at 4:32 PM, Sandhills Golfe said:

I took this to the practice field - turning my shoulder and hips together. It's a weird feeling for someone who hasn't turned much before in the last 30 years. I did try moving my hips once years ago to accomplish the same thing. But, I gave up on it quickly as it felt strange.

With my no hip turn swing, in my mind I thought the resistance was a good thing and thought I was coiling. But, now in hind site, I see thanks, to you guys I was not moving my hips. A free and proper turn is better.

Moving both my shoulder and hips together feels better and my range session was promising. I added swing from the ground up on the forward swing and struck the ball nicely. One thing I learned from my lessons. When I did hit it pure, it had a higher ball flight - just like today. Erik, Scott and Phil, thank you! SG

I have improved from a year ago. But, I recently realized I do get stuck in the backswing when my hands reach just before the "9 o'clock" position or half way back. The only way I can complete my swing is to lift my arms. I still believe I have flexibilty problems. But, maybe there is something that I am not doing to help me pivot to the top? I have tried things like rotate my left arm (rightie) But, that didn't help. Thx

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

if your right arm collapses properly it should allow your left arm to go further without having to physically "lift" your arms,....but im not sure on the merit of doing that unless you think your losing out on distance? I swing to maybe 8/9 o'clock and still get it out there some with the driver usually 260/270

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

• 8 months later...
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

I'm playing pretty well. But, feel I can still improve on my ball striking consistency. Can anyone make any suggestions to keep the right elbow from flying. My bad back has been acting up. I don't think that is helping me, Cheers SG

Post a video of your swing that's somewhat recent.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

iacas, Thanks for taking a look. 

Sure, if you can embed the videos. If you're uploading them now, you have to wait until they've finished first.

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/embed-videos

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

Sure, if you can embed the videos. If you're uploading them now, you have to wait until they've finished first.

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

• Administrator

Well, normally please submit full speed swings (in slow motion video if you want), not effectively practice swings… but that said, I'd work quite a bit on learning to turn properly with a centered pivot.

You aren't turning nearly as much as you could.

01.jpg02.jpg

(edited)
1 hour ago, iacas said:

Well, normally please submit full speed swings (in slow motion video if you want), not effectively practice swings… but that said, I'd work quite a bit on learning to turn properly with a centered pivot.

You aren't turning nearly as much as you could.

01.jpg02.jpg

Thanks, iacas. I am using a light weight practice ball. Either way, the swing would look the same. I am trying to turn, using my chest on the way back. Do you have any drills or suggestions to make a full turn? I noticed the flipping too. Thanks, for adding the lines. Hopefully, that gets cleared up with a better turn. Thanks, again SG

• Administrator

Thanks, iacas. I am using a light weight practice ball. Either way, the swing would look the same.

Honestly, I doubt it. You swung very very slowly, and that affects sequencing, and all sorts of things.

Do you have any drills or suggestions to make a full turn? I noticed the flipping too. Hopefully, that gets cleared up with a better turn. Thanks, again SG

Those should get you started.

20 hours ago, iacas said:

Honestly, I doubt it. You swung very very slowly, and that affects sequencing, and all sorts of things.

Those should get you started.

I tried this today with no success. I realize these things can take months and I would do better with a lesson. But, my biggest issue is the centered swing is a killer on my bad lower back. 

• Administrator
Just now, Sandhills Golfe said:

I tried this today with no success. I realize these things can take months and I would do better with a lesson. But, my biggest issue is the centered swing is a killer on my bad lower back. 

Post a video of you doing it. Just from your house or something.

The point is that your hips actually turn more, too… often the feeling is reduced strain on the lower back.

32 minutes ago, iacas said:

Post a video of you doing it. Just from your house or something.

The point is that your hips actually turn more, too… often the feeling is reduced strain on the lower back.

Will do. Getting the hips turning has always been a challenge.

• 8 months later...
(edited)

I am having a problem, Lifting on the backswing and specifically the right toe come up. I have a bad back. But, I know many will say, you can still make a good turn.  Any suggestions on how to keep the right toe down with a proper pivot? Thx, SG

• Administrator

Please embed videos.

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/embed-videos/

You're not turning your hips because your knees aren't doing anything to help you:

01.jpg02.jpg