IGNORED

Do you enter a score every single time you play?

SoundandFury
Note: This thread is 3185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you enter your score for handicap every time you play?

• Yes
    • No

I'm looking at the USGA handicap manual.

For temporary greens:

5-1a/3. Returning Scores for Handicap Purposes While Playing on Temporary Greens or Tees

Q: May a club accept scores for handicap purposes if temporary greens or tees are being used?

A: Yes. If the Rules of Golf can be followed during the reconstruction period, scores should be posted. The club must contact its authorized golf association for advice regarding its specific situation. If a temporary green (not an alternate permanent green) is played, the recommendation of the authorized golf association may be for the club to advise players to post par plus any handicap strokes the player is entitled to receive on that hole.

In the UK, they don't accept scores for two or more temporary greens on the course. I looked at theirs.

What do you do when your course has 5 temporary greens and they put the greens in an area where you're a driver and chip shot and the temp green is puttable? The course has not been re-rated. Your score is going to be lower than it normally would be. I don't think the round should count as more than a practice round, but we're supposed to enter the score anyway. I guess they are telling us to take an auto three putt.

Thanks for that.  So, we post if the rules of golf can be followed (Seems to me the rules of golf could always be followed on a temporary green).  However, I have no way of knowing if the club contacted its authorized golf association for advice, I'll just assume they did.

I'll just follow the rules of golf and post... like I've done in the past.

These rules are not subjective or up to the judgement/rationalization of the player.  For HI to have meaning we all need to stick to the rules.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Almost every round of golf I play is in the morning, with a foursome, on a full golf course. There is never a time where I drop and hit multiple balls from a location or "practice" on the course. I always keep score and always try to score the best that I can. Therefore, I post every round. I'm not in a position to practice on the course. I practice at the range and play golf on the course.

Almost every round of golf I play is in the morning, with a foursome, on a full golf course. There is never a time where I drop and hit multiple balls from a location or "practice" on the course. I always keep score and always try to score the best that I can. Therefore, I post every round.

I'm not in a position to practice on the course. I practice at the range and play golf on the course.

I'm not sure how often you play, but it seems like no practice rounds is a bit extreme?

As even @mvmac stated earlier, he does practice a few holes at a time where he takes shots from various locations. I think many of us could benefit practicing from non-ideal lies on the course for practice?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm not sure how often you play, but it seems like no practice rounds is a bit extreme? As even @mvmac stated earlier, he does practice a few holes at a time where he takes shots from various locations. I think many of us could benefit practicing from non-ideal lies on the course for practice?

I usually play once a week. Monday mornings. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to practice on the course. It would be a huge benefit to be able to practice approach shots from different lies and distances. But I don't get out enough to be able to use a round as a practice round. Also, it wouldn't be long before a course Marshall came by and told me to knock it off and move along. Like I said, I almost always play mornings, in a full foursome, on a full golf course.

• Administrator
I'm not sure how often you play, but it seems like no practice rounds is a bit extreme?

As even @mvmac stated earlier, he does practice a few holes at a time where he takes shots from various locations. I think many of us could benefit practicing from non-ideal lies on the course for practice?

Why?

Mike's a member so he can play a few holes and not pay anything. Most people pay for each round, or at least a cart fee. So they play golf, not a "practice round."

I rarely play "practice rounds."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

As even @mvmac

stated earlier, he does practice a few holes at a time where he takes shots from various locations. I think many of us could benefit practicing from non-ideal lies on the course for practice?

I usually play once a week. Monday mornings.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to practice on the course. It would be a huge benefit to be able to practice approach shots from different lies and distances.

But I don't get out enough to be able to use a round as a practice round. Also, it wouldn't be long before a course Marshall came by and told me to knock it off and move along.

Like I said, I almost always play mornings, in a full foursome, on a full golf course.

Yeah, I can see why you need to post every round.

There's no way I would practice on a full golf course either. . .

Quote:

Why?

Mike's a member so he can play a few holes and not pay anything. Most people pay for each round, or at least a cart fee. So they play golf, not a "practice round."

Yes, I can see why most people don't. I'm also a "member" so I can also play as many rounds as I wish on the weekdays. Weekends are a different issue. Packed. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Why?

Yes, I can see why most people don't. I'm also a "member" so I can also play as many rounds as I wish on the weekdays. Weekends are a different issue. Packed. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I have practice rounds fairly often. The course I work at lets me go out for free but I usually end up skipping around to different holes to stay out of the member's way. Course was pretty empty today and I would've posted a real round but forgot my putter back at home.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I'd say most golfers rarely play practice rounds, if ever.

As even @mvmac stated earlier, he does practice a few holes at a time where he takes shots from various locations. I think many of us could benefit practicing from non-ideal lies on the course for practice?

Or from ideal lies, depends on what my goal is. To be clear I said " I might also hit a drive and then hit my second shots from a different spot from where I drove it." For example if I'm playing in a tournament on a course where I know I'm going to hit a good amount of 6/7irons into greens I'll practice hitting those clubs from good lies. If I drive it to a yardage where I'm not hitting a 6/7 iron, in a bunker or in crappy lie in rough, I move it, no point in hitting those shots when that's not the point of me being out there.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

Almost every round of golf I play is in the morning, with a foursome, on a full golf course. There is never a time where I drop and hit multiple balls from a location or "practice" on the course. I always keep score and always try to score the best that I can. Therefore, I post every round.

I'm not in a position to practice on the course. I practice at the range and play golf on the course.

I don't really see the value in much on course practice unless you can have a lot of spare time.  Even then, the few times I did go into a round thinking practice, I usually ended up playing a normal round.  I just hated that I felt I was wasting the little bit of opportunity I had for golf in doing something that wasn't golf.  When I was still working I mostly only had one round per week at most unless it was a two day tournament, so I wanted to play golf with my friends, not practice alone.  Even though I theoretically have the time now, I'll still play 9 holes of actual golf rather than practice.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I'd say most golfers rarely play practice rounds, if ever.

For me, I'd say it ends up being a once a year thing on something I can only see on the course. Tonight I technically played a practice round since I moved up one set of tees. I have 1-2 tournaments that I might play from them. But I just played a normal round. No extra shots. Thank goodness no extra shots, I hit some stinkers!

—Adam

• Administrator

I don't really see the value in much on course practice unless you can have a lot of spare time.  Even then, the few times I did go into a round thinking practice, I usually ended up playing a normal round.  I just hated that I felt I was wasting the little bit of opportunity I had for golf in doing something that wasn't golf.  When I was still working I mostly only had one round per week at most unless it was a two day tournament, so I wanted to play golf with my friends, not practice alone.  Even though I theoretically have the time now, I'll still play 9 holes of actual golf rather than practice.

Rick, correct me if I'm wrong, but you've never seen the value in practice, period, really.

If I got to play twice a week, but my Saturday round "mattered" even a little, I might see tremendous value in "practicing" during my Thursday rounds. It all depends on what you want to get out of golf. If you want to get better and shoot lower scores, you might adopt a different plan of attack than someone who "just wants to play golf and have a good time" or whatever and who isn't super concerned with improvement.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Rick, correct me if I'm wrong, but you've never seen the value in practice, period, really.

If I got to play twice a week, but my Saturday round "mattered" even a little, I might see tremendous value in "practicing" during my Thursday rounds. It all depends on what you want to get out of golf. If you want to get better and shoot lower scores, you might adopt a different plan of attack than someone who "just wants to play golf and have a good time" or whatever and who isn't super concerned with improvement.

Not totally true.  I used to practice my short game assiduously, because both of the munis I played most often had really useful short game practice areas, with greens and bunkers and mounds with funky lies.  I would spend 45 minutes to an hour before each tournament - stopping at the course nearest my house for practice before driving to my home course for the tournament.  Occasionally when I felt something wasn't working right I'd go there for a half hour after work.  I just never did it on the  course.

It's the range that I get bored with. :loco:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Everyone is always working to improve something. Why does that qualify to not post a round? If you said this to a handicap committee, they would laugh you out of the room.

Replying to your post from yesterday to mine. That is straight up offensive as you have no idea what is a practice round to me. Try asking first next time you make a comment like that.

How about rounds that don't remotely qualify as played under rules? My practice 'rounds' (I have made serious changes to my swing in the last few months and have had a few rounds) involve playing with an instructor, multiple shots from a spot, not keeping scores and multiple balls. Any of that qualify??

Vishal S.

Yeah, I disagree with this.  My original examples were of times when you're literally not trying AND not keeping score.  If you generally shoot low 80s and then have a terrible day and shoot 110, you post that 110.  I have scores as low as 77, 78, and as high as 102 in the past 4 months.  The system might not count that score, but I don't think it's up to you.

Good to know I don't have the widest spread amongst my last 20. Thought I might. ;-)

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Good to know I don't have the widest spread amongst my last 20. Thought I might. ;-)

Lol. I try not to think about that particular round...however I'm actually playing that course tomorrow (for the first time since) with a client and I'm determined to have my revenge.

I disagree. I play a bit of "client golf" for work and as a general rule, I do not post those rounds. During these rounds, most of my focus in on personal and business discussions. I still try my hardest to hit good shots, but my focus is not really on my score. If a client wants to swat a 4 footer for bogey back tome and say "that's good," I'm certainly not going to correct him.

+1.

I don't take any of my rounds with a client seriously.  So I don't post those as there are many "gimmes" when playing with a client.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Lol. I try not to think about that particular round...however I'm actually playing that course tomorrow (for the first time since) with a client and I'm determined to have my revenge.

I had a 102 in my last 20 at one of the toughest courses here. I played it again last week, determined to get my revenge. I posted an 85 and that included an 8 on the par 5 ninth. Pretty happy with the result.

Note: This thread is 3185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!