IGNORED

Do you enter a score every single time you play?

SoundandFury
Note: This thread is 3204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you enter your score for handicap every time you play?

• Yes
    • No

If I'm on the course practicing and I end up playing 18 holes I don't post it. I'm not really trying hard as I would in a regular round so I would consider that a "sandbagged" round. If I did practice/play every so often and shot a score that is too high for handicap purposes, the 85 I could shoot might be kicking out a 75 as one of my last twenty. That would be unfair manipulation of my handicap, IMO.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I'm on the course practicing and I end up playing 18 holes I don't post it. I'm not really trying hard as I would in a regular round so I would consider that a "sandbagged" round.

If I did practice/play every so often and shot a score that is too high for handicap purposes, the 85 I could shoot might be kicking out a 75 as

one of my last twenty. That would be unfair manipulation of my handicap, IMO.

That's also how golfers who really play off of the mid-teens, end up with single digit handicaps.  Vanity handicaps....

God how I love those guys when it comes to tournament time or even small money games!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I don't think honesty and vanity are the same. A vanity capper would be a guy who makes a 6 on a hole but takes 5, over and over. Or he might be a guy who shoots 80 but turns in a 76. That's how I define a vanity handicapper.

That's also how golfers who really play off of the mid-teens, end up with single digit handicaps.  Vanity handicaps....

God how I love those guys when it comes to tournament time or even small money games!

Yeah, there's no reason to not post a score because it's "too high"... I mean, if that was your score then obviously it's not "too high"...

Quote:

Originally Posted by David in FL

I don't think honesty and vanity are the same.

A vanity capper would be a guy who makes a 6 on a hole but takes 5, over and over. Or he might be a guy who shoots 80 but turns in a 76.

That's how I define a vanity handicapper.

No, that's a liar/cheat, a vanity capper will only put in their better scores into the system. I can see how the two could be confused because both ways show a lower handicap than is actual.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I don't agree with this, I use some rounds as practice. I hit multiple tee shots, approach shots, practice putting and chipping. When I play these rounds I don't even keep score. However, if I do keep score I post it.

And how often do you just play practice rounds ?  So which "practice" round do you decide to post? Only the ones you did well? Just how do you decide if your keeping score on these "practice" rounds? On the first tee?

And how often do you just play practice rounds ?  So which "practice" round do you decide to post? Only the ones you did well? Just how do you decide if your keeping score on these "practice" rounds? On the first tee?

My practice rounds I don't even keep score... Simple enough for you? I believe I've mentioned that in other posts if you read them all. It doesn't matter if I have good holes or not because I'm not playing by the rules of golf during these rounds.

*edit sorry I didn't answer one of the questions, yes I know before I even start that I'm not keeping score most times, or I'll get stuck behind a slow people and I'll start playing multiple shots from the same spot. I don't just decide a round is practice because I'm playing poorly... at a 22.5 I find it extremely funny that anyone would even think that is a vanity cap.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Yeah, there's no reason to not post a score because it's "too high"... I mean, if that was your score then obviously it's not "too high"...

No, that's a liar/cheat, a vanity capper will only put in their better scores into the system. I can see how the two could be confused because both ways show a lower handicap than is actual.

Yep, well said.

The most common way to artificially lower a hcp is to simply not post higher scores.  Generally, those that do so are somehow able to justify it in their own mind.  I wasn't really trying, the greens were aerated, I was just "practicing", and my all time favorite, "if I posted that round, I'd be a sandbagger, because I'm really a lot better than that".

As has been said, that's why the low 10 of the last 20 are used in calculating the index....

My practice rounds I don't even keep score...

I'd say that's the right answer.  I'd also say that, while everyone is different, I probably haven't played more than a very small handful of genuine "practice rounds" in my entire life.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

If I'm on the course practicing and I end up playing 18 holes I don't post it. I'm not really trying hard as I would in a regular round so I would consider that a "sandbagged" round.

If I did practice/play every so often and shot a score that is too high for handicap purposes, the 85 I could shoot might be kicking out a 75 as

So if your out practicing playing 18 holes how do you practice "not really trying hard". Seem like you would want to try to be good when you practice.  Also do you look at your last (20th round) before playing and see if a low score is going to fall off? If you've got a big swing in scores it will move your trend but it is what it is.

Yeah, I disagree with this.  My original examples were of times when you're literally not trying AND not keeping score.  If you generally shoot low 80s and then have a terrible day and shoot 110, you post that 110.  I have scores as low as 77, 78, and as high as 102 in the past 4 months.  The system might not count that score, but I don't think it's up to you.

I play several practice rounds, especially early in the season or when I am working on a specific problem such as sidehill lies, and in no way do these comply with USGA rules so they do not get entered so I chose "no".  The practice on these rounds is better for my game than any amount of time at the range or practice area.  However, I do enter the rest of my rounds which are played according to the rules and valid for my handicap.

I post everything that is played according to the rules of golf (to the best of my knowledge).  I have at least one practice round per week as I seem to end up by myself Friday afternoons with an essentially empty course - I play 3 balls and don't keep score.

Brad

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundandFury

Specifically those who keep an official handicap, do you enter a score every time you play, regardless of circumstances?

I don't enter scores under these circumstances:

1) In the fall when we play the "leaf rule" in late October and November which goes against USGA rules - I count it as a practice round

2) In the fall, again late October and November when the courses here in Western Pennsylvania aerate the courses.

3) In winter months, November - February, when we play "Winter Rules" which allow you to use preferred lies - Again I count these rounds as practice

4) My wife likes to play 9 holes and eat dinner Sunday afternoons with her sister and brother-in-law. Since we only play 9 holes, I elect to treat it as a practice round, and experiment with different clubs that I have at home which I would not use if I had to post a score.

1)  Never played "leaf rule", but my old home course is pretty good about blowing the leaves off the fairway.  Of course that means even more trouble in the rough, but that's golf.

2)  When the course has just been aerated we play "Preferred Lies" in the fairway - that is really the only time we play that local rule, and generally only for  a few days after they punch the fairways.  Scores are still posted.

3)  After November 14 our handicap season is inactive, so posting is irrelevant unless I travel somewhere south.  Even though we can't post, we still never play those so-called "winter rules".

4)  Nothing wrong with that.  I still post 9 hole rounds if played by the rules on a rated course (one local 9 hole course here is not rated, so I can't post scores from it).

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ludden

My practice rounds I don't even keep score... Simple enough for you? I believe I've mentioned that in other posts if you read them all. It doesn't matter if I have good holes or not because I'm not playing by the rules of golf during these rounds.

*edit sorry I didn't answer one of the questions, yes I know before I even start that I'm not keeping score most times, or I'll get stuck behind a slow people and I'll start playing multiple shots from the same spot. I don't just decide a round is practice because I'm playing poorly... at a 22.5 I find it extremely funny that anyone would even think that is a vanity cap.

I never play that type of practice round, because it would kill me if I went onto play a great round that ended up meaningless, or if I made a hole-in-one or other miracle shot that was irrelevant because of the nature of the round.  For me, even a practice round is still played under the rules.  I just may take more time with some shots, or work on trying a shot or two that I've been practicing off course, but need some real time attempts to see if the practice has "taken".  Such practice doesn't change my end result enough to skew my handicap to any significant degree.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I never play that type of practice round, because it would kill me if I went onto play a great round that ended up meaningless, or if I made a hole-in-one or other miracle shot that was irrelevant because of the nature of the round.  For me, even a practice round is still played under the rules.  I just may take more time with some shots, or work on trying a shot or two that I've been practicing off course, but need some real time attempts to see if the practice has "taken".  Such practice doesn't change my end result enough to skew my handicap to any significant degree.

I can understand that, but I learn a lot more by playing this way. I'm almost always all by myself so even if I did have a HIO it wouldn't count. I don't get to the range much and even when I do the grass area isn't that great so I get much better practice by trying new shots or working on short game stuff at the course. Plus I can get much more accurate yardages for shots on the course than the range.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH31

Wait. . .how does kicking out a 75 and replacing it with an 85 make you into a single digit player?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Wait. . .how does kicking out a 75 and replacing it with an 85 make you into a single digit player?

Read more closely.

@RH31 is justifying why he WOULDN'T post the 85 that would kick out the 75.

• Upvote 1

A vanity capper would be a guy who makes a 6 on a hole but takes 5, over and over. Or he might be a guy who shoots 80 but turns in a 76.

That's how I define a vanity handicapper.

No, that's cheating. A vanity handicapper would be someone that only posts their good scores.

I post everything that is played according to the rules of golf (to the best of my knowledge).  I have at least one practice round per week as I seem to end up by myself Friday afternoons with an essentially empty course - I play 3 balls and don't keep score.

Yeah usually my practice on the course involves hitting multiple balls on the course. Either testing equipment or "testing" my swing. Like I said earlier, for me that practice on the course rarely goes 9 holes.

• Upvote 3

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

No, that's cheating. A vanity handicapper would be someone that only posts their good scores.

Yeah usually my practice on the course involves hitting multiple balls on the course. Either testing equipment or "testing" my swing. Like I said earlier, for me that practice on the course rarely goes 9 holes.

When you do hit multiple balls, even if only for a few holes, do you not post the score then?

I'm highly confused reading through this thread.  People keep talking about "practice" rounds which I assume means they are playing multiple balls or taking extra swings, which would disqualify such round for hc purposes.  So why are other's saying that those rounds should be posted?

Note: This thread is 3204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!