IGNORED

Do you enter a score every single time you play?

SoundandFury
Note: This thread is 3204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you enter your score for handicap every time you play?

• Yes
    • No

When you do hit multiple balls, even if only for a few holes, do you not post the score then?

I'm highly confused reading through this thread.  People keep talking about "practice" rounds which I assume means they are playing multiple balls or taking extra swings, which would disqualify such round for hc purposes.  So why are other's saying that those rounds should be posted?

Technically, as long as you play what 13 or 14 *can't remember for sure* holes by the rules you would use par+handicap for the holes you didn't play by the rules for posting the round in the handicap system. Or if you play the front 9 outside of the rules but the back nine by the rules you could probably post that back 9 score. I could be wrong though.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Technically, as long as you play what 13 or 14 *can't remember for sure* holes by the rules you would use par+handicap for the holes you didn't play by the rules for posting the round in the handicap system. Or if you play the front 9 outside of the rules but the back nine by the rules you could probably post that back 9 score. I could be wrong though.

gotcha, that makes sense.

I am surprised that the majority of golfers that have replied to this poll do not play practice rounds where the score is meaningless.  It may be that using the word "round" implies following the USGA rules of golf to some, or many of you have some great practice facilities that simulate the different shots on your course.  Perhaps the answers would be different if we were asked if we practice on our golf course or do you enter every single non-practice score.

Quote:

Originally Posted by godswing

When you do hit multiple balls, even if only for a few holes, do you not post the score then?

I'm highly confused reading through this thread.  People keep talking about "practice" rounds which I assume means they are playing multiple balls or taking extra swings, which would disqualify such round for hc purposes.  So why are other's saying that those rounds should be posted?

13 is the number.

9 hole scores need to be combined, with another 9 hole score as I recall.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

13 is the number.

I use the myscorecard website and it allows me to put in 9 hole rounds, then it automatically combines them into 18 hole rounds for me.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I'm looking at the USGA handicap manual.

For temporary greens:

5-1a/3. Returning Scores for Handicap Purposes While Playing on Temporary Greens or Tees

Q: May a club accept scores for handicap purposes if temporary greens or tees are being used?

A: Yes. If the Rules of Golf can be followed during the reconstruction period, scores should be posted. The club must contact its authorized golf association for advice regarding its specific situation. If a temporary green (not an alternate permanent green) is played, the recommendation of the authorized golf association may be for the club to advise players to post par plus any handicap strokes the player is entitled to receive on that hole.

In the UK, they don't accept scores for two or more temporary greens on the course. I looked at theirs.

What do you do when your course has 5 temporary greens and they put the greens in an area where you're a driver and chip shot and the temp green is puttable? The course has not been re-rated. Your score is going to be lower than it normally would be. I don't think the round should count as more than a practice round, but we're supposed to enter the score anyway. I guess they are telling us to take an auto three putt.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Back in the day when I kept a real HC, I entered them all. I'm retired now and my group pretty much plays at a fast pace so we have gimmes and pick up if out of a hole. It would be hard to keep a true HC the way we play. What I show on my bio is just an estimate.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvmac

No, that's cheating. A vanity handicapper would be someone that only posts their good scores.

Yeah usually my practice on the course involves hitting multiple balls on the course. Either testing equipment or "testing" my swing. Like I said earlier, for me that practice on the course rarely goes 9 holes.

Not sure if this is treated differently than simply missing the holes or not, I guess you could take handicap plus par instead of ESC?

I figured ESC because playing multiple balls is like declaring an unplayable with stroke and distance on each extra ball played, which will very quickly get you to ESC.

I am surprised that the majority of golfers that have replied to this poll do not play practice rounds where the score is meaningless.  It may be that using the word "round" implies following the USGA rules of golf to some, or many of you have some great practice facilities that simulate the different shots on your course.  Perhaps the answers would be different if we were asked if we practice on our golf course or do you enter every single non-practice score.

Shhh, just don't say anything about playing practice rounds on the forum. :whistle:

Just kidding, I'm planning on posting every round played from now on.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

You can't post a score for 4-6 holes. I might also hit a drive and then hit my second shots from a different spot from where I drove it. The point is to practice hitting certain shots on the course.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

13 is the number.

I use the myscorecard website and it allows me to put in 9 hole rounds, then it automatically combines them into 18 hole rounds for me.

So, do many of the posting computers for different clubs. Golflogix does that as well.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Went to the range this morning just to practice and ended up getting roped into playing 9 holes.  Had taken my dad's old '70s persimmon just for kicks and left my D3 in the car.  Ended up shooting 37, and after this thread, ran as fast as I could to enter my score.  Now my handicap is treading lower, right in time for a tournament this weekend.

I hate you all :doh:

Something that I don't recall seeing in this thread is that I believe that if you are hitting extra balls the round should not be posted because it is not a true representation of your score.   If you are hitting several shots to work on something in your game, you gain an advantage because you have extra swings and should, in theory, be better prepared for the shots that do count towards your score later in the round.   And I don't think that's right to post a score with that many extra swings.

The irony is, that if those extra swings help you, you are posting a score that it lower than what you would have anyway.  And that hurts you for handicap purposes, not helps.

—Adam

Went to the range this morning just to practice and ended up getting roped into playing 9 holes.  Had taken my dad's old '70s persimmon just for kicks and left my D3 in the car.  Ended up shooting 37, and after this thread, ran as fast as I could to enter my score.  Now my handicap is treading lower, right in time for a tournament this weekend.

I hate you all

This forum combines my love of helping people with my love of hurting people.

—Adam

Sounds like persimmon agrees with you. :beer:

Just take those clubs for the tournaments and forget the D3. :smartass:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Sounds like persimmon agrees with you.

Just take those clubs for the tournaments and forget the D3.

Dude, I'm actually shocked how good that club is when hit well.  Expected it to be significantly shorter and impossible to hit.  It's shorter, but only by 10-15 yards; launches with a much more piercing flight and rolls for miles.  Plus, it sounds/feels awesome at impact.  Sucks on even slight mishits though.

You can't post a score for 4-6 holes. I might also hit a drive and then hit my second shots from a different spot from where I drove it. The point is to practice hitting certain shots on the course.

Ah, I thought you meant you would practice on a few holes during a full round.

I hate you all

Haha oops

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I hate you all

Hey, I still have my old Cleveland Classic, it might be a RC75.  Maybe I should dig through the closet to find it.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 3204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!