IGNORED

The Drive for 5...

Faksakes
Note: This thread is 2995 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ever since the last swing lesson (on proper hip turn), I had nothing but bad rounds.   This weekend was no different with 98, 100 rounds.   The good news is my GIR is the highest in the last two years playing the current course.   When I get the hip turn right, I am hitting straight.   The bad news is, I get it wrong more often than get it right.   This has increased number of OBs per round.   HI is up to 18.0 and climbing.   The next GHIN report is going to be ugly unless I have exceptional rounds in the next weekend.  More hip turn drills before the next round.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
10 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

Ever since the last swing lesson (on proper hip turn), I had nothing but bad rounds.   This weekend was no different with 98, 100 rounds.   The good news is my GIR is the highest in the last two years playing the current course.   When I get the hip turn right, I am hitting straight.   The bad news is, I get it wrong more often than get it right.   This has increased number of OBs per round.   HI is up to 18.0 and climbing.   The next GHIN report is going to be ugly unless I have exceptional rounds in the next weekend.  More hip turn drills before the next round.

If you're working with us (or even if you're not - the advice is the same): the practice tee is for practice, the golf course is for playing golf.

Yes, take a feel out there if you can, but otherwise, just try to play golf. Don't forget what you're doing on the range, but don't try to exaggerate it or worry too much about it either. The 30-35 full swings you'll make on the golf course are not going to set you back much even if you don't do your "piece" at all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

If you're working with us (or even if you're not - the advice is the same): the practice tee is for practice, the golf course is for playing golf.

Yes, take a feel out there if you can, but otherwise, just try to play golf. Don't forget what you're doing on the range, but don't try to exaggerate it or worry too much about it either. The 30-35 full swings you'll make on the golf course are not going to set you back much even if you don't do your "piece" at all.

Thanks, I will have to do that.   In all these rounds, I was too conscious of getting the swing form right even as I was swing through it.   The new swing feels awkward and that leads too many swing thoughts.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Nevermind 5 strokes ... I just want 2 stokes off my hcp.     All I want is to see single digit hcp on my GHIN card someday.    That is my only goal in golf.    Closer I get, farther off it seems to be.    Amazing how hard it is to get those last couple points off your hcp when you're approaching your practical limit...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Thought the season was over but managed to play 9 this morning. Shot a solid 46 (1 3 putt, NO LOST BALLS!) to drop to 23.8!

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

I had a decent round (94) for the 1st time after the last swing lesson.  The last five rounds leading to today's round was crap, HI soaring to 18+.    I sure hope this is a step back before two steps forward.   

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I wish I had seen this thread earlier this year.  My GHIN season is officially over so, for me, this thread will have to be a drive for 5 in 2016.  However, in 2015 I was officially able to lower my HC by 5.7 strokes.

565a5363df431_HCending2015season.thumb.j

1.State your Handicap/index and your goal.

As the image above shows, my current HC is 25.2.  However, when I start again next season, my first 5 rounds will find 3 of my scores for GHIN will disappear so it could go up if I have a slow start to the season.

I use Evolvr and plan on getting new irons for next season so we'll see how I start the season off.  That said, I would like my HC to be 19.9 by seasons end.  We'll see how it goes.  

• Upvote 1

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

On 11/28/2015, 4:54:26, rkim291968 said:

I had a decent round (94) for the 1st time after the last swing lesson.  The last five rounds leading to today's round was crap, HI soaring to 18+.    I sure hope this is a step back before two steps forward.   

96 today.  That's two ok rounds in a row after a string of bad rounds.   This could be the beginning of new and better swing taking shape.   In two days, I have another swing lesson.  Hopefully, it leads to a quick step back and two steps forward.   The next GHIN is likely be 18.8, a full 1.3 increase through the swing tweak.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

2 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

96 today.  That's two ok rounds in a row after a string of bad rounds.   This could be the beginning of new and better swing taking shape.   In two days, I have another swing lesson.  Hopefully, it leads to a quick step back and two steps forward.   The next GHIN is likely be 18.8, a full 1.3 increase through the swing tweak.

Nice, sir.

Do you have a myswing thread that you can take a video of your swing nd post in? 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

On 6/24/2015, 5:47:45, bmartin461 said:

I'm in for 25%.  That would bring me down to a 12, which is where I feel is a realistic HC to maintain given my current work/life/golf balance I'm under.

Well, I've dropped, but not far, 7.2% from a 16.2 to a 15.1.  However it does feel like my game is much better, I am much more confident when I play and I'm enjoying it more.   I think being a 15 is directly related to how much time I have for the game at this time.   I wish I could practice and play more, but alas, life always seems to get in the way.   My goal is still to reach a 12, I'm aiming for June 2016 to make this happen.

-Brad

• 2 weeks later...

My game was showing signs of improving after the last lesson 4 weeks ago.  This week, I took another lesson on Tuesday.   3 days of practice after the lesson and my ball striking accuracy has gone down again while trying to digest the new lesson.  Bummer.  The handicap has gone up during the span.  :-(

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

The swing tweak struggle continued today.  For the 1st 9 holes, the new swing held together well, yielding 47.   Then, I completely lost the new swing feel and ended the back 9 with 52.  Every swing felt awkward, without confidence.   It will take another month before the new swing become more repeatable.  At least, that's the hope.   After the round, I did more indoor swing drills,and mirror work. No problem hitting straight. 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

On 09/09/2015 at 4:27 PM, ChrisPietersen said:

I've had another nice drop in my unofficial handicap. Down from 39.6 (originally) to a 32.2 now. And the best of it all... Summer has yet to start here. Can't wait for my Desember/January holiday to crank it up a notch! Bogey golf, here I come!

Since my last update I have dropped my hcp further down to 27.6 now! So that is a 4.2 drop since September and a 12.0 drop since the start of 2015! So I'm very pleased with my game at the moment.

• Upvote 1

Driver: Cobra Amp Cell-S - 10.5°
Woods: Cobra F-Speed 3 Wood - 15.5°
Hybrids: Cobra Amp Cell 2/3 Hybrid - 16°-19°
Irons: Mizuno MX-15 - 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled - 52°/8°, Titleist Vokey SM4 - 54°/8°, Titleist Vokey Oil Can - 58°/8°
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1

Proud member of the "Breaking Bad Club"!

On 12/14/2015 at 0:14 AM, ChrisPietersen said:

Since my last update I have dropped my hcp further down to 27.6 now! So that is a 4.2 drop since September and a 12.0 drop since the start of 2015! So I'm very pleased with my game at the moment.

Good going, dude.

My last two swing tweaks are slowly but surely coming together.   My scores are back to where they were before the last two swing lessons.  My HI will only get better from now, I hope.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got back out on the course after almost 3 months away.  The holidays (and busy time of year for work) kind of took over after the AGT National Championship in October.

Anyway... I went out to play a course we'll be playing in about a month for the first tournament of the AGT season.  I grabbed 3 guys from the tour and we headed out for a round despite a bleak forecast.  Luckily, the weather held off and we got the round in, albeit in some fairly chilly weather towards the end.

I shot a 98 with 3 really bad holes.  It would have been a 93 by AGT scoring standards and it was an ESC score of 92 because of those bad holes.  

On the good side... I hit some really solid drives despite the cold, including a 251 yarder on the last hole that split the fairway.  I also managed to find 7 of 14 fairways, which is above average for me... and 6 of 18 greens in regulation, which is well above average for me.  

On the not-so-good side... I finished with 6 penalties.  3 of them were off the tee with my driver... 2 were off the 16th tee on a par 3 into a hazard... and the other was a bladed wedge from 95 yards that went about 130 yards.

My handicap rose from a 16.7 to a 17.4 after today's revision. 

I've got some work to do, but I don't imagine that I'll be playing much worse than what I finished last season at when the season kicks off on 2/6.  

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Note: This thread is 2995 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!