IGNORED

The Drive for 5...

Faksakes
Note: This thread is 2996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My goal this year is under 18. While that is only 1.6 away, sometimes it seem like miles.

First tournamnet of the year next week in Redding CT.

• Upvote 1

Went from 28.3 to 27.4 in 1 day!

Just posted the best round of my life by a LONGSHOT. A 91 (49-42) at Van Cortland Park in the Bronx, NY (Par 70-5600-66.7, 117) This short but tight course is the oldest public course in the USA.

BREAKDOWN

4 Pars (3 were on 16,17,18!)

7 Bogies

7 Double Bogies

0 Triple or worse (this is the biggest reason I shot so well today by far)

I didn't feel like I did anything special, I just avoided trouble and stuck to using almost my 54 degree wedge exclusively around the greens. I lost 1 ball OOB but then parred the hole on my second ball for a 6.

3/13 fairways-Really not a great day off the tee but only one OOB. Most of these misses were in the first cut

4 GIR-Parred 2 of these, 3 putted the others. Fairway game was decent but honestly I felt like I could have swung better.

35 putts-Putting could have been better. This is good for me but mainly thanks to my 54 degree wedge. From 50 yds and in I killed it with this wedge today and I'm glad that I found some consistency in the short game.

I Can't wait to play again next Tuesday. I have an opportunity to really shave some strokes. My next few rounds that will drop off my HI are all part of the bottom half so I can't drop, can only go up for the next few rounds.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Went from 28.3 to 27.4 in 1 day!

Just posted the best round of my life by a LONGSHOT. A 91 (49-42) at Van Cortland Park in the Bronx, NY (Par 70-5600-66.7, 117) This short but tight course is the oldest public course in the USA.

BREAKDOWN

4 Pars (3 were on 16,17,18!)

7 Bogies

7 Double Bogies

0 Triple or worse (this is the biggest reason I shot so well today by far)

I didn't feel like I did anything special, I just avoided trouble and stuck to using almost my 54 degree wedge exclusively around the greens. I lost 1 ball OOB but then parred the hole on my second ball for a 6.

3/13 fairways-Really not a great day off the tee but only one OOB. Most of these misses were in the first cut

4 GIR-Parred 2 of these, 3 putted the others. Fairway game was decent but honestly I felt like I could have swung better.

35 putts-Putting could have been better. This is good for me but mainly thanks to my 54 degree wedge. From 50 yds and in I killed it with this wedge today and I'm glad that I found some consistency in the short game.

I Can't wait to play again next Tuesday. I have an opportunity to really shave some strokes. My next few rounds that will drop off my HI are all part of the bottom half so I can't drop, can only go up for the next few rounds.

Congrats man, great work there on the 91

This weekend's rounds were terrible to my standard.   HI is rapidly going upward.   I am officially in a mini slump.

• Friday - 97 (and lost a club tournament match play)
  • Sat morning - 107 (1st round over 100 after 14 straight rounds of 90s, nothing worked including putting - 37 putts!)
  • Sat late afternoon - 96 (yup, 107 was a fluke)
  • Sun - 97 (+8 on the last 3 holes, 4 rounds in 3 hot summer days took its toll down the stretch)

My next GHIN report is going to be baaaaaaaaaad.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As a reminder so no one has to search for it.  I'm aiming for a 15 HI by the end of the year.  Played Tecolote Canyon Golf Course this morning before work.  An 18 hole executive that is narrow with lots of trouble if you don't keep it pretty straight.

Tecolote is a par 58, rating slope 55.2/99.  I was 10 over with a 68 (including 2 penalty strokes), HI differential of 14.6, my lowest diff. ever. :-D (It didn't l feel like I was playing that well.)

• Upvote 1

As a reminder so no one has to search for it.  I'm aiming for a 15 HI by the end of the year.  Played Tecolote Canyon Golf Course this morning before work.  An 18 hole executive that is narrow with lots of trouble if you don't keep it pretty straight.

Tecolote is a par 58, rating slope 55.2/99.  I was 10 over with a 68 (including 2 penalty strokes), HI differential of 14.6, my lowest diff. ever.   (It didn't l feel like I was playing that well.)

Nice job!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Shot 94 (92 adjusted) yesterday and my hc dropped to 15.2. Was just at the range and was hitting it great I'd say 90% of the time and the bad ones were not really that bad. My practice is still basically playing a round in my head so I change clubs every swing as well as target. The swing changes I've been going through I can see are starting to take. Pretty consistent on the range but not all the way there on the course.

I have a big (for me) two day tournament this weekend. It's part of the Golf Channel Am Tour and I've only played one other event before and that was 3 years ago. My flight is 12-15.9 index and my flight has by far the biggest number of golfers. It'll be a big challenge and a lot of fun though I'm sure. It's played at two inland links courses which is a style I really like. Have played one of the courses but it was years ago.

Anyone have any tips to prepare?

Working on anti-chicken wing drill, and the cork screw motion drill.   These are extension to my anti-flipping drill.  These drills are helping me increase my distance but the ball striking accuracy is holding me back.   Hopefully, these drills will help me break my HI to downside.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Working on the shorter swing, and trying hard to eliminate the OTT move. Takes a lot of time and balls.

Range work has gotten me stronger. 3 hours of hitting balls every day is a pretty decent workout. Unlimited range balls helps. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Range work has gotten me stronger. 3 hours of hitting balls every day is a pretty decent workout. Unlimited range balls helps. . .

:bugout: ... wow!    How do you squeeze your life into golf time? :-D

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

... wow!    How do you squeeze your life into golf time?

I wake up at 4:30am and stretch a little then start mirror swings. Kind of groggy, but still effective. I usually go to work at 8:30am to 9:30am, the course is about 5 minutes from my office and 14 minutes from my house door to door. This gives me about 3-4 hours a day to work on my golf/exercise for health. Full swing is a full body workout, so it's great exercise. Although, lately I've been using a golf cart to cruise the course instead of walking and carrying. So, it takes me about 1.5 hours to play roughly 18 holes if I don't get stuck behind anyone. If I were in my serious putting mode I might take another half an hour longer for the round? I play by the rules and everything, I just don't bother to read/setup that carefully. So, that leaves me 2 hours to hit balls on the range.

When I get home I do family stuff, which sometimes includes golf. . . :whistle:

So, I'm not exaggerating at all when I state that I spend about 3 hours a day practicing and/or playing. As long as I am interested in golf, I'll work this hard at it like all my other past activities. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I'll join in the fun. My lifetime handicap peaked this year at 25.5. In the 90s I was 11.7 and I've gotten progressively worse since then. I had a back injury in 2014 the same day I made my first and only ace at Kingsmill resort in Virginia. I couldn't believe the golf gods could be so cruel as to allow me a hole-in-one I thought I'd never get and then crippling back pain that I coulnd't play through the next day. My goal is to cut my Hdcp by 7 strokes. I realized that my back problem was aggravated by my screwed up swing. Restricted hip turn and restricted shoulder turn was putting stress on my spine. So of course I am working on making full turn again and trying to eliminate tension in my swing. Also, as many of you have mentinoned, I'm trying to swing more inside by keeping my right arm in the proper position going back and elbow close to my side. I'm also trying to work the ball both directions instead of trying to hit a straight ball. The fade and the slice are easy for me, and I'm hitting a lot more draws at will. I find that thinking about and visualizing the shot I want to hit keeps me from thinking about mechanics during my swing. Stats: Fairways hit: 41% GIR: 13% Putts: 33 Penalty strokes: 1.6 Driver average: 225 Handicap start: 25.5 Handicap today: 24.0
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Big Wave

Golf is the only sport in which a thorough knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship - Patrick Campbell.

Starting hcp: 18

Goal: 13

Last change: 17.1 -> 17.4

I played four rounds this weekend and one on the tuesday after, all of then on courses I'd never played before or only played once, and it showed. Below are my scores:

* 96 gross, 80 net Short course but very penalizing for bad tee shots, so the problems I'm having with my driver cost me. Also the greens were wet and slow at the start of our round and cut, dry and fast at the end, this also resultet in a few extra strokes.

* 90 gross, 72 net (par 70), again short links course with very tall grass, driver was working better thn previous round

* 96 gross, 80 net Another short links course where it was hard to even find the ball off the fairway, let alone hit it, also my short game started to fall apart

*  98 gross, 78 net Park style course, so more suited to my sliced drives, but here my general ball striking was bad, and my short game a shambles

* 93 gross, 75 net Very nice park style course, was driving a lot better than recently (over 50% fairways). Would have been a good score if it wasn't for the 40 putts...

In the last round I believe I figured out the biggest mistake I've been making with the driver. Hard to explain in a second language, but basically my backswing was too hurried and that caused me to swing too much with my arms and not rotating the shoulders enought.

On monday I went to my local pro shop to get a new wedge. The pro asked me to do a few swings so he could give me some club recommendations. I ended up buying a whole new iron set (Ping G30) to replace my old second hand Wilson Staff set. The new clubs will arrive in a couple of weeks, looking forward to see how much they can help (I tried a 7 iron and hit it at least 10 to 15 yards longer than my old one).

My main focus is still to realiably hit the fairway or first cut  around 60-70%. I'll probably also pratice a bit more on the putting green.

• Upvote 1

Starting hcp: 18

Goal: 13

Last change: 17.1 -> 17.4

I played four rounds this weekend and one on the tuesday after, all of then on courses I'd never played before or only played once, and it showed. Below are my scores:

* 96 gross, 80 net Short course but very penalizing for bad tee shots, so the problems I'm having with my driver cost me. Also the greens were wet and slow at the start of our round and cut, dry and fast at the end, this also resultet in a few extra strokes.

* 90 gross, 72 net (par 70), again short links course with very tall grass, driver was working better thn previous round

* 96 gross, 80 net Another short links course where it was hard to even find the ball off the fairway, let alone hit it, also my short game started to fall apart

*  98 gross, 78 net Park style course, so more suited to my sliced drives, but here my general ball striking was bad, and my short game a shambles

* 93 gross, 75 net Very nice park style course, was driving a lot better than recently (over 50% fairways). Would have been a good score if it wasn't for the 40 putts...

In the last round I believe I figured out the biggest mistake I've been making with the driver. Hard to explain in a second language, but basically my backswing was too hurried and that caused me to swing too much with my arms and not rotating the shoulders enought.

On monday I went to my local pro shop to get a new wedge. The pro asked me to do a few swings so he could give me some club recommendations. I ended up buying a whole new iron set (Ping G30) to replace my old second hand Wilson Staff set. The new clubs will arrive in a couple of weeks, looking forward to see how much they can help (I tried a 7 iron and hit it at least 10 to 15 yards longer than my old one).

My main focus is still to realiably hit the fairway or first cut  around 60-70%. I'll probably also pratice a bit more on the putting green.

Wow you have a massive difference between your adjusted and actual scores. Having some huge blow up holes each round? I can relate...

I was at the practice course yesterday really working on getting my right hand bent in the back swing with a straight left wrist. It's starting to come but I really have to focus on my grip change or I make it really hard on myself. I had two-three knuckles showing on left hand at address and am working on just one showing. Grip changes always feel so strange. After the practice me and a buddy went to a little 9 hole course and I shot even par. There are two "par 4's" that are not really though but still I was really happy and a nice confidence boost going into my tournament.

I've also started choking down on my driver about an inch and it seems to have really helped my accuracy.

Dropped to 26.0 today! Started this challenge a few weeks ago at 28.6 and I'm making some big strides. Shot a 91 at Pelham Bay Par 71 6200-69.6-117 from the middle tees.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Dropped to 26.0 today! Started this challenge a few weeks ago at 28.6 and I'm making some big strides. Shot a 91 at Pelham Bay Par 71 6200-69.6-117 from the middle tees.

Congrats! Great work

My latest swing. Right elbow too far away from my body ...

Yup, it looks that way.  I have one too albeit a little.   I am also working on my chicken wing.  If I can get those tightened, I will be more consistent with ball striking.

In today's round (92 at CR 71.2/128), the recent drills worked as I had no penalty strokes (OBs, ball in hazard, lost ball).   I started and finished the round with 1 ball, and hit 12 of 14 fairways.  The only blemish was I had only 1 GIR.  I need to keep up with the drills and the GIRs will come.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 2996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!