IGNORED

The Drive for 5...

Faksakes
Note: This thread is 3015 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well if we go by the start of the year I might be in. I was 24.7 at the start. I might be playing again in two weeks which will give me about 3 rounds going into the club championship. I had hoped I'd be competitive this year, but I'll be lucky to be playing at all. We'll see how it goes.

I'm sitting at 21.7 right now. I'm expecting my rounds to be ugly, so my drive for 5 might be to keep it from going up 5.

How to play a 410 yd par 5 accounting for distance loss: 5 iron + 6 iron + PW puts me right on the green. 2 putts for a par.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yup, it looks that way.  I have one too albeit a little.   I am also working on my chicken wing.  If I can get those tightened, I will be more consistent with ball striking.

In today's round (92 at CR 71.2/128), the recent drills worked as I had no penalty strokes (OBs, ball in hazard, lost ball).   I started and finished the round with 1 ball, and hit 12 of 14 fairways.  The only blemish was I had only 1 GIR.  I need to keep up with the drills and the GIRs will come.

Yeah it's a hard thing to stop. I feel all restricted in my swing when I keep the elbow down for some reason.

Played round 1 in my tourney today and shot 93. I had an 11 on a par 4. 7 off the tee anyone? What a nightmare and on the third hole. Also had two birdies and some solid holes but overall not good. I'd say I'm half way there with my swing. Some shots I look like a tour pro and then..well you know lol. My putting was garbage as well, had  lots of long puts and was leaving myself 4+ feet most of the day. My 93 tied for 10th right now but the leader shot 80 in my flight (two better than his index as it was par 71). I'm thinking since I have nothing to lose just go out and really go for it and see if I can move up.

Yeah it's a hard thing to stop. I feel all restricted in my swing when I keep the elbow down for some reason.

Played round 1 in my tourney today and shot 93. I had an 11 on a par 4. 7 off the tee anyone? What a nightmare and on the third hole. Also had two birdies and some solid holes but overall not good. I'd say I'm half way there with my swing. Some shots I look like a tour pro and then..well you know lol. My putting was garbage as well, had  lots of long puts and was leaving myself 4+ feet most of the day. My 93 tied for 10th right now but the leader shot 80 in my flight (two better than his index as it was par 71). I'm thinking since I have nothing to lose just go out and really go for it and see if I can move up.

Actually just looked again and the leader shot 85 in my flight and I'm tied for 9th not 10th. Most in front of me were 87/88....

Actually just looked again and the leader shot 85 in my flight and I'm tied for 9th not 10th. Most in front of me were 87/88....

You are not too far off from moving up.  My suggestion is that you keep to what you practiced and feel comfortable with - speaking from my experience.

I had a 93 round today.   I almost reached a par 5 hole in two, after hitting a 230 yard approach shot with 3W.  In the next par 5 hole, I hit the same 3W two OBs in a row, one to left and another to right (LOL indeed).   The other OB was with 3h on a par 4 hole.  It's the sudden errant shots that continues to hold me back.  If it weren't for the 3 OBs, I'd comfortably broke 90 today.   I need to continue to work on my swing drills.

My goal for next GHIN was 17.5 but that isn't looking good.  My 93 today kicked out 78 (from shorter tee) from the GHIN system.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I'm pretty much looking at this thread for the long term. I doubt I can drop my average score by 5 strokes any time soon. I've worked hard to get the distance with a repeatable swing, and need lots of work on path and contact. It's a lot of hard work.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I like the idea of this thread. It sets a goal and gives purpose to play. First, let me preface that I'm back on the links after long down time and will start posting scores to see what changes may occur. I am expecting a 25-30% change by end of season, with exception. 1. I play the tips with fellow members and lower handicappers with usually higher slope ratings. 2. I play the men's tees with many in league, others, etc (I don't post scores on match play, stroke play only, no gimmie's) 3. I play senior tees with one league, and our neighborhood course with fellow friends on occasion. Of age. I like to play other courses especially new ones. I like to take risky shots. All this matters. It should be fun.

Well I shot 85 so a big improvement and moved up to 5th place so I'm pretty happy. Just mostly stayed out of trouble. I missed 5 three foot putts too. This should drop my index when I enter it.

Currently trending at 19.6 now. Getting close to my goal for this year so anything over that is going to be a bonus.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Started at 17 HI at the start of this thread and taking a backward step to 17.5 HI on today's GHIN update.   Nope, I am not playing worse.  It's just that I have been playing in very narrow scoring range which  dropped a few exceptional rounds from the GHIN system.  I have been going back and forth from 16 - 17 HI in the last few months.  It's frustrating to stall on progress but that's reality.  Here's my realistic goal for the next 4 GHIN reports.

Current HI 17.5

7/15 HI target = 17.5 (maintain while I work out some kinks in my swing, anti-chicken wing & anti-flipping drills)

7/31 HI target = 17.0 (reap the benefit of improved ball striking accuracy)

8/15 HI target = 16.5

8/30 HI target = 16.0 (initial 2015 golf goal at start of 2015)

The final HI target = 12.

7/15 HI is going to be 18+.   I went into a mini slump.    7/31 HI target is 18.0 now.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

So my index dropped to 14.3 (goal is 9) from 15.2 after that tournament. Taking today off, going out tomorrow though and then playing in a scramble on Wednesday.

Just got my video lesson back from my instructor and I'm still sucking the club way too far inside. This has been my biggest tendency over the years as I self taught myself to hook the ball years ago and it's really stuck. He gave me some great instruction to overcome this so looking forward to getting to the range. Won't be today I don't think, but hopefully tomorrow if not. I have to keep the club face in front of my hands going back. Good news is he's really pleased with my downswing and I was in a scramble yesterday and was killing my driver although my iron accuracy was not great. Hopefully this helps with that.

Have a great day all

Just got my video lesson back from my instructor and I'm still sucking the club way too far inside.

I have the opposite tendency and extending my left arm straight to target line (part of my anti-chicken wing drill) is helping me hit straighter.    The only time I "suck" the club far inside is if I am trying to hit a severe hook to get around an obstacle (tree, sever dogleg, etc).   It does work more often than not without much practice.

Taking 1/2 day off to play a round this afternoon.   Today's goal is to apply what I have been practicing of late - no chicken wing or flipping.   I took video of my swing last night and I hardly see a chicken wing but saw that flipping has made its comeback.   Can't win them all ... :-(

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I posted this at the HI thread, probably belongs here... :-) Looking at this, I actually had a higher HI than I remember back in Jan.  I hope I can keep this trend going, it ain't going to be easy.

I posted this at the HI thread, probably belongs here...   Looking at this, I actually had a higher HI than I remember back in Jan.  I hope I can keep this trend going, it ain't going to be easy.

Actually, you posted at the right thread.   You are being kicked out of this thread -  you are no longer qualified to post in this thread. :beer:

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I posted this at the HI thread, probably belongs here...   Looking at this, I actually had a higher HI than I remember back in Jan.  I hope I can keep this trend going, it ain't going to be easy.

Very nice going. I so wish our handicaps kept pace with our improvement like yours do. Our system is barking mad and can't keep pace with regular improvement let alone a rapid climb like yours.

Pete Iveson

Great improvement there. How did you achieve it?

I think that is addressed to me.

How?  I think the biggest factors in order of importance

1 - Took lessons through Evolvr

2 - Went from playing golf less than once a month to more than once a week (often 9 hole rounds though)

3 - Practice my swing one way or another every day, and identifying specifically what to practice with the help of my Evolvr lessons.  I keep having to remind myself that just hitting golf balls does not help me improve, working on a specific priority while hitting golf balls is what helps me improve.

I think going from 27 to an 18 will probably prove to be quicker than going from an 18 to a 14.  Given my age and lack of distance, a 14 may be as good as I can expect to get.

• Upvote 1

I just came across this thread in the last day or two so I am little behind(not that I haven't been trying to lower my HI)

1.State your Handicap/index and your goal.

My current HI is 30.5.  So I guess my goal would be 25.5.

About 4 years ago I was down to a 28.xx but that quickly went away...  I started this season at 30.8 and was down to 30.1, 2 revisions ago.

- Are you taking lessons, if not how are you going about improving?

• I have had two lessons since March of this year.  First to get my swing back on track after winter and the second to work on my driver.

- How much do you practice/play and what is your strategy to improve?

• I practice about 2 hours a week(this needs to increase!)
  • I try to play at least 9 holes a week.  If I am home on the weekends I try to get 18 in. I have 14 rounds in for the year, starting in April.  So I am averaging close to a round a week.
  • To improve I obviously have practice a lot more and play more when feasible.
  • My ball striking is always in need of improvement, I am very inconsistent. And at the moment my driver is very bad.  I am hitting it short and slicing it as well.

- Post your past few rounds so we can see where you're at, your strengths and weakness' etc. etc.

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

Note: This thread is 3015 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!