IGNORED

2016 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

dunfy3
Note: This thread is 2748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, Gunther said:

No offense taken by me, it's funny shit.  I'm not sure brother Danny is crazy about him writing it, however.  Does put a bit of extra pressure on him cuz some won't take this in the same spirit I do.

It is funny ... but annoying at the same time, because I assume those same dummies he's ranting about are going to be even more obnoxious with the 'bababooies' and 'mashed potatoes' now.  Ugh.  Most of us here hate that just as much as he does.

• Upvote 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

It is funny ... but annoying at the same time, because I assume those same dummies he's ranting about are going to be even more obnoxious with the 'bababooies' and 'mashed potatoes' now.  Ugh.  Most of us here hate that just as much as he does.

Ah, yeah, hadn't considered that angle. Reasonable folk in MN, no?  Fingers crossed.

• Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Did not realize US uniforms were camo, not really too keen on the war metaphor, it's just golf dudes.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

28 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Did not realize US uniforms were camo, not really too keen on the war metaphor, it's just golf dudes.

I like em, although the term "war" doesn't immediately come to my mind when I see em.

Interesting anecdote I heard yesterday:  Ryan Moore has been fitted for Ryder Cup gear for the past 3 or 4 Cups.  This was the 1st year he wasn't, and voila, he makes the team.  That's pretty cool. 

• Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

This article is eerily similar to one of @Ernest Jones regular posts on this site.  ;-)

Only to the most casual of observers. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

8 minutes ago, Gunther said:

I like em, although the term "war" doesn't immediately come to my mind when I see em.

Being that it's Minnesota, and I've always thought (for some reason) that Ryan Moore looks like our old buddy @cipher, the first thing that comes to my mind is hunting.:beer:

Regardless, I don't really care for the look.  It's not awful by any stretch - cough, Sunday 1999, cough *** - but I don't love them.

*** Let's call those the "Grandma's Hallway" polos.  (I just made that up.) :banana:

9 hours ago, onkey said:

We obviously saw this differently.  I think Chamblee came off looking like the fool.  Chamblee was laying all the blame on Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson, Duval was saying that it came down to the play of all--including himself.  Duvall was also explaining that matches can come down to something as unexpected as holing out from 30 yards from heavy rough. 

I think they both had points. Ryder Cup /match play is somewhat random. http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-mystery-of-what-makes-a-ryder-cup-winner-1474574164

That said, Tiger and other top U.S. players don't have the records that you'd expect relative to their rankings, even if they got saddled with some bad partners. Some Euro team members like Poulter and Westwood seem to do much better over 10+ matches than their baseline play would lead you to expect.

Euros of late seem to 'get up' for the event better (or save themselves during the season better because it's more important to them), probably are just more comfortable in match play generally because they do it more, and probably had smoother (& more stats-informed) captaining / team management.

Kevin

So DL3 spends weeks banging on about the team ethic/ personality/chemistry etc, surely talking about Bubba, then picks him as a vice captain? Bizarre.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I think I may have thrown you off with this part:

Yeah, he didn't say that.  But that is what I think of when Chamblee says that it's about leadership.  What does that even mean?  To me, it means providing motivation and intensity and heart ... all of the stuff that might help a high school football team, but stuff that professional golfers don't need.  They need to hit good shots and make putts ... which is precisely what Duval said.

If your best guys lose matches more often than they win them, that has no affect? What do you think has more affect on their team's morale? Seve, Sergio, and Poulter winning matches or TW and PM losing them? Are the Americans pumped up after TW loses? 

And again, I don't recall Duval saying that the players need to hit good shots in response. He said they have lost by freakish luck shots and captain issues, for example. BC agreed that could be reason for one offs, but not over 20 years. They have not performed up to their ability, for whatever reason. 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the weekend. It's fishing weather here, but it looks like I will be in front of the TV all weekend. 

1 minute ago, Hazsa said:

So DL3 spends weeks banging on about the team ethic/ personality/chemistry etc, surely talking about Bubba, then picks him as a vice captain? Bizarre.

I wondered about that myself.

- Shane

6 minutes ago, Hazsa said:

Maybe not so odd if it was more of a statement of the right attitude all should have coming into the event. Lower the egos, don't be a lightning rod, be team-oriented and be respectful / get along with everyone or you won't really be welcome this year or future years. Bubba offering to be a cart-boy shows he's willing to pitch in even if he's not in the thick of the action.

Kevin

13 minutes ago, Chris E said:

And again, I don't recall Duval saying that the players need to hit good shots in response.

It's all in the first minute of the posted video.  Chamblee says "leadership" wins matches, and Duvall says "it boils down to making putts and executing good golf shots."  Heck, it's the title of the video on the article.

4 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

It's all in the first minute of the posted video.  Chamblee says "leadership" wins matches, and Duvall says "it boils down to making putts and executing good golf shots."  Heck, it's the title of the video on the article.

OK, that explains it. I have not seen it posted or rewatched the video, and I tuned in after they had already started going at it.

Regardless, I agree with BC. It has an affect, see my previous post. Also, what does Duval say about why the best American players, the best players in the world on paper, rank, and results make less putts and good golf shots than their competition in the Ryder cup? Over 20 years? 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

5 hours ago, Gunther said:

z No offense taken by me, it's funny shit.  I'm not sure brother Danny is crazy about him writing it, however.  Does put a bit of extra pressure on him cuz some won't take this in the same spirit I do.

Guess I got this one.  DWil has been beside himself over it, not happy w his brother at all.  Really too bad for a kinda dumb, albeit funny, jamoke to have an effect on an event such as the Ryder Cup.  Social media sux.

• Upvote 1

Willet's bro and Phil Mickelson would be wise IMO to reign in their need to be the centers of attention and let the focus be on good golf.

Most of us get enthused to see an exciting golf event between two highly talented teams of golfers. A good rivalry can be conducted with respect and class. At times some U.S. player rhetoric was disrespectful ('not fit to caddy for us') of the opposing team. Not a great moment for the U.S. team image, IMO. Willet's brother's comments are right in line with that kind of jingoism that I agree with Jack Nicklaus does not belong in the Ryder Cup. Competitive fire, okay. Enthusiastic, partisan crowds, sure. Soccer mob mentality, no way.

Kevin

11 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I like it. Especially compared to nearly all past US Ryder Cup kits.

Actually before I dish out too much praise, do they have a huge Stars and Stripes flag emblazoned on the back?

Note: This thread is 2748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!