IGNORED

2016 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

dunfy3
Note: This thread is 2726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think 99% of the crowd is conducting themselves well but yes, there's probably 1% that are acting like idiots out there. It's a shame but it's somewhat a reality of the RC these days. IMO the players should ignore/laugh it off, not stoop to their level.

Either way, if it's someone like Poulter or Reed I wouldn't mind, because it at least seems genuine and in character for them. With Rory it just feels contrived to me.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Have you not heard stupid things like, cheering on balls going in the hazards, or even the most recent thing where someone yelled when Pieters was setting up to putt? I've noticed multiple instances of these types of things yesterday. There's no place for that sort of behavior in my opinion.

**Edit** I will concede that it seems to be a bit better today than it was yesterday, but it's still quite early. Hopefully stays better and keeps improving. 

I don't think anyone should do anything pre-shot but post shot all is fair game imo.  It's a international competition, these guys need thicker skin.  I'm sure it's all a bit amplified by the piece Willets brother wrote as well.  

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The crowd is loud/obnoxious at every Ryder Cup. When players play well, they were "inspired" by the crowd. When they play poorly, the crowd "got in their head". It's a completely constructed narrative, IMO.

Can't believe the break that Pieters just got with that line to the green from there.

5 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I don't think anyone should do anything pre-shot but post shot all is fair game imo.  It's a international competition, these guys need thicker skin.

Yup. I think they do have a "thick skin". I really don't think this stuff affects the players as much as we think.

• Upvote 1

- John

15 minutes ago, skydog said:

I think 99% of the crowd is conducting themselves well but yes, there's probably 1% that are acting like idiots out there. It's a shame but it's somewhat a reality of the RC these days. IMO the players should ignore/laugh it off, not stoop to their level.

Either way, if it's someone like Poulter or Reed I wouldn't mind, because it at least seems genuine and in character for them. With Rory it just feels contrived to me.

You really are deluded.

Americans have the momentum again,Stenson's gone stale.

What a battle this morning.

The crowd are going mental.

Edited by Scotsclaff

The National Anthem thing is super weird and awkward.

I would have laughed if one of the Europeans took a knee (it would have probably also broken the internet).

• Upvote 1

- John

I don't get the negative comments on Rory. He's playing well and doing his part to pump up his team. Same thing you see from Reed on the US side. Lots of emotion - I don't have any problem with it from the players on either team.  And as long as the fans let the players hit their shots, then they can cheer, jeer or whatever they want. It's actually a big part of what makes this so much more fun to watch than a regular event and most majors. 

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

1 minute ago, Jmdmbike said:

And as long as the fans let the players hit their shots, then they can cheer, jeer or whatever they want. It's actually a big part of what makes this so much more fun to watch than a regular event and most majors. 

Exactly. It's bad etiquette in a normal tournament to cheer for bad shots, because you're not "supposed to" root against any players. In the Ryder Cup, it's designed for the home crowd to root for a specific team, so I think it's fair game.

Any shenanigans during/before players' shots are still bogus, of course.

• Upvote 1

- John

This so fun to watch I wish it was every year.  I wasn't able to watch much of the last Cup so I kind of forgot how awesome it is.

2 hours ago, skydog said:

Mickelson and Fowler (team GPS) have no business playing foursomes. DL3 has got to stop listening to everything Phil says. Neither one of these guys should be playing in the afternoon.

On another note, I love this Snedeker/Koepka team.

I think Koepka has the game to pair with anyone. Excellent ballstriker (esp. off tee) and good putter.

I could see ways for Phil/Rickie to work, but have to concede that he's just too wayward for the format and all that time in the rough seems to wear his partner down a bit. They would have been better used in fourball. I would have preferred Moore for foursomes too. It will be interesting to see if there's any explanation of the pairings after the fact. 

17 minutes ago, Jakester23 said:

Rory looks pretty locked in.  Whoever he draws tomorrow is going to have their hands full.

He's definitely put himself back into the Big 3 / 4 discussion, which I figured he would after he got over his ankle layoff.

----------

Is it me or does Brooks Koepka look totally annoyed with doing interviews?

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Just now, Hazsa said:

Bit of a brain fart decision there Justin.

Yeah that was a poor decision.  Make the other team beat you don't beat yourself when your up.

I guess when you're 3-up with four to play, you can afford trying to hit a circus shot to close out the match.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

23 minutes ago, natureboy said:

I would have preferred Moore for foursomes too. It will be interesting to see if there's any explanation of the pairings after the fact. 

I would almost like to see something like a Moore/DJ pairing this afternoon. I'm not a big fan of Kuchar as a RC player so I hope DL3 mixes up his DJ/Kuchar pairing.

1 minute ago, skydog said:

I would almost like to see something like a Moore/DJ pairing this afternoon. I'm not a big fan of Kuchar as a RC player so I hope DL3 mixes up his DJ/Kuchar pairing.

Even better than Moore / DJ:

hfyr6r.JPG

Why not high on Kuch for Ryder. Lack of distance?

Kevin

Note: This thread is 2726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!