IGNORED

2016 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

dunfy3
Note: This thread is 2753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

12 minutes ago, Hazsa said:

This. Dropping Rafa and Wood on saturday and overusing Westwood and Kaymer were big mistakes for me. However from a Team Europe position I'm inclined to look at the 'what if' moments. What if Mcilroy/ Sullivan had kept it together against what we all thought (and I still think) was a beatable Foursome partnership in Fowler and Mickelson? What if Westwood had made those short putts on 17 and 18? What if Rory had made his short putts on Sunday? 

But this would be overlooking the reality that Team USA also missed a few opportunities, but overall played some pretty spectacular golf and made an insane amount of clutch putts that put so much pressure on the few European veterans. Overall their team was so much stronger in depth. Hopefully players like Casey, Donald and McDowell will find form and qualify for 2018. 

As for Willet, he's looking more and more like one of those obscure 1 Major wonders isn't he? Showed nothing all week for a Masters Champ.

Good point about the McIlroy/Sullivan match.. If Andy wouldn't have put it in the water on 17, we maybe wouldn't have seen the super partnership of McIlroy/Pieters.. Pieters was just awesome.

It was time for USA to win and IMO these changes wouldn't have changed that, maybe made it a bit closer.. Good for the Ryder Cup as well that USA got the win :) Already looking forward to Paris in 2 years

And yes Willett hasn't showed a lot since winning the Masters, he did finish second in Italy though. So it remains to be seen what his future is but he already has a couple of great seasons on the European Tour, so I think he won't totally fall in to that category, we'll see.. 

Edited by FinTurma

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well done to the American players,they deserved it.

The American fans are a disgrace,I await the brawling because that will come next.

See you in Paris.

2 hours ago, FinTurma said:

Congrats from a Team Europe supporter to Team USA for a great win! USA simply played better and made some better tactical choices.

I think Clarke made a few mistakes, trusting Westy and Kaymer, even though they were playing poorly. He should've played Bello, Wood, Sullivan and maybe even Fitzy more. Anyway the Ryder Cup was great again!

Have to say that Danny Willett is not growing on me. Just saw him tweeting that his brother was in fact right, what an unfortunate thing to tweet from Danny. He is definitely going down in my book, he just couldn't rise above it and let it go. His brother's article started all this nonsense. OK, fan behaviour was out of line at times, but you have to counter by playing good, not whining. 

Once again well played team USA!!

His brother told the truth but let's not offend the retards that threw insults at the European players,FFS.

Some guys on here tried to turn the tables and blame Mcilroy for over reacting,they're just as bad as the retards on the course.

We need more write ups from PJ Willett.

6 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

And Kaymer.  And Sergio.  And I think Fitzpatrick, and maybe one or two others.

Now I wonder if the SOLE reason they wear hats is for sponsor advertising.

I sincerely think that Rory's headache on Saturday may have been due to him not wearing a hat the whole day. The sun can do a number on you. He played fantastic.

21 minutes ago, Scotsclaff said:

The American fans are a disgrace,I await the brawling because that will come next.

See you in Paris.

His brother told the truth but let's not offend the retards that threw insults at the European players,FFS.

Some guys on here tried to turn the tables and blame Mcilroy for over reacting,they're just as bad as the retards on the course.

You act as if there a zero rude fans in Europe. This is not the case. I don't like the rude fans here either. But let's not pretend there aren't any across the pond.

• Upvote 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

31 minutes ago, Scotsclaff said:

See you in Paris.

I think some of the behaviour was pretty shocking, and I will argue that it went far and beyond what I've witnessed in Europe. I can't comprehend thousands of fans cheering a golf ball going into the water over here. Maybe that'll change in France, I hope not.

As much as I loved watching Rory sticking it to the pricks in the crowd, I'm not sure it was the smartest move. He may have been able to cope or even thrive in that atmosphere, but others were probably overwhelmed. 

44 minutes ago, Hazsa said:

I think some of the behaviour was pretty shocking, and I will argue that it went far and beyond what I've witnessed in Europe. I can't comprehend thousands of fans cheering a golf ball going into the water over here. Maybe that'll change in France, I hope not.

I don't see anything wrong with that. That's a big shot that helps their team win.  Are you afraid it will hurt the players feelings? Or do you just think golf is just for gentlemen who politely clap and on their best behavior at all times? 

So far, the worst thing I've seen is the guy telling rory to eat one, and even that's a pretty tame insult.   I'm not saying it's acceptable, but it surprises me that Rory would stop and challenge the man to a fight. 

There's a lot of people saying that lines were crossed and the fans were bad,  but id be interested to know what exactly they are complaining about. I'm not saying it's didn't happen, just that I'd like to know the facts rather than the conclusions, so I could draw my own.  

• Upvote 1

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

7 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

And Kaymer.  And Sergio.  And I think Fitzpatrick, and maybe one or two others.

Now I wonder if the SOLE reason they wear hats is for sponsor advertising.

I would hate to wear hat every time I play...but I would hate wearing pants just as much. It would be a toss up.

1 hour ago, Scotsclaff said:

See you in Paris.

The brawling like at European football games? Point is there are jerk asses everywhere. The  offensive post from that putz P.J. Willet is fighting words in quite a few redneck's corners. If you let one idiot taunt and ridicule, expect other idiots to take offense. I just ignore the jealousy of my good teeth, cheerio.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

1 hour ago, Scotsclaff said:

See you in Paris.

I sure hope not. PJ should just concentrate on his day job and let his brother take care of golf related issues.

3 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I would hate to wear hat every time I play...but I would hate wearing pants just as much. It would be a toss up.

The brawling like at European football games? Point is there are jerk asses everywhere. The  offensive post from that putz P.J. Willet is fighting words in quite a few redneck's corners. If you let one idiot taunt and ridicule, expect other idiots to take offense. I just ignore the jealousy of my good teeth, cheerio.

Worst part about wearing a hat all the time is that horrible tan line you see from the players when they take it off. I had the same thing when worked construction and had to wear a hardhat and safety glasses, I hated it. I do still wear a hat more often than not while golfing but not nearly often as I used to.

I have a feeling that others were correct about that P.J. Willett article being some of the fuel for the bad behavior of the fans, but one of the commentators also had a interesting insight as well. He noted that not everyone in attendance were "golf fans" some were simply "sports fans" and that the less than sportsman type things from spectators which are more acceptable/common in say, football, baseball, or hockey were heard as a result.

11 minutes ago, dsc123 said:

I don't see anything wrong with that. That's a big shot that helps their team win.  Are you afraid it will hurt the players feelings? Or do you just think golf is just for gentlemen who politely clap and on their best behavior at all times? 

So far, the worst thing I've seen is the guy telling rory to eat one, and even that's a pretty tame insult.   I'm not saying it's acceptable, but it surprises me that Rory would stop and challenge the man to a fight. 

There's a lot of people saying that lines were crossed and the fans were bad,  but id be interested to know what exactly they are complaining about. I'm not saying it's didn't happen, just that I'd like to know the facts rather than the conclusions, so I could draw my own.  

I'm not saying that there were a lot of egregious things done/said, but I really do dislike fans cheering for shots into the water, yelling "get wet" after a tee shot, etc. Then again, it annoys me when fans yell "mashed potatoes" or "bababoey"  too. I can understand not everyone thinks or feels the same way as me. I was happy to hear that they were actively removing people from the course who were out of line. The best way to curb the bad behavior is letting it be known there are consequences and actually enforcing them.

• Upvote 3

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I think that's the most golf I've ever watched in a three day stretch.

Just some fantastic play from both teams. I never seen so many birdies get topped for a half, Wow!

I like hearing that the PGA was tossing (so called) fans out. I think as the event gets bigger and bigger, fan interference is only going to get worse.

Nice to see some good sportsmanship from all the players on both sides in such a tense setting.

1 hour ago, dsc123 said:

Nope. I'm all for vociferously supporting your team. It's something I love about the RC compared to other golf tournaments. Celebrating an opposition ball into the water/ bunker/ rough, shouting 'get in the water', shouting out as a player lines up a putt, or hurling abuse (however tame you think it is), is antagonistic, and something I'm surprised so many are happy to ignore or even condone.

Team USA didn't need that to win, they were superior on the course.

Willet not mincing words, NSFW reaction to his performance in presser.

Ryder Cup Redux, video compilation of shots captured by Protracer. Not sure if the exposure is turned up, but if it really was as foggy as indicated by the camera, pretty impressive Protracer was able to read the trajectory.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

37 minutes ago, eich41 said:

I'm not really sure what your big hangup with this is.  The Ryder Cup is a team event (and an exhibition with no money on the line mind you).  Do you not cheer when your favorite football/soccer team's opponent misses a penalty kick? More importantly, how do you distinguish between it being okay to cheer when Rory misses a putt, causing the Americans to win the hole, vs. the ball going into the water and effectively losing the hole?  

There are definitely some things that were over the line (profanities, yelling during routine, etc.) but cheering a ball in the water?  A biiiiiiiiiigggg reach.  Furthermore, this event has become so big and popular, coupled with the fact that the format leads to an easy choice of a team/person to root for, and you get a lot of non-golf fans in attendance.  I would bet that a lot of the over the line comments weren't coming from avid golf fans/golfers but rather the random sports fan that decided to go to the Ryder Cup.  Let's be honest, most of what was said would be kindergarten level stuff for any other sport. 

They're going to have to do something preemptive for Bethpage if this trend continues.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

20 minutes ago, Hazsa said:

Nope. I'm all for vociferously supporting your team. It's something I love about the RC compared to other golf tournaments. Celebrating an opposition ball into the water/ bunker/ rough, shouting 'get in the water', shouting out as a player lines up a putt, or hurling abuse (however tame you think it is), is antagonistic, and something I'm surprised so many are happy to ignore or even condone.

Team USA didn't need that to win, they were superior on the course.

So then complain about those incidents, but all you've whined about is someone cheering a ball in the water?  Again, please try to illustrate how you distinguish between cheering for a ball in the water which causes someone to lose a hole, or cheering a missed putt which causes someone to lose a hole?

As I pointed out above, there were some things that crossed the line of acceptable behavior, but cheering a ball in the water is a big reach...

• Upvote 1

The Euro press hour after the ceremony was funny, light hearted and gracious. Seems like they have/will move on quickly. Now IMHO, they have been dominant so long and losing one doesn't sting as bad maybe. They haven't experienced the gut wrenching despair of the US team after the 2014 loss.   

OTOH, if US had lost this one, I think PM would have taken to fishing in the Great Lakes for the remainder of his days. Glad we won for dignity's sake, what with the task force and all.

Much is being made about the fan/player exchanges. Now profanities, name-calling (turd??...really??..lol!) and disturbances during the swing not excusable but all other expression including loud cheering should be eval'd  with the proper looking glass. Ryder cup has evolved into the highest level of sport war and even the players with their screaming and fist pumps elevate their emotional exhibition to a level foreign to any other golf event. Fan participation in this event is a real 13th man whether we like it or not.

BTW, hats off the Clarke for defending the majority crowd.. like 99%. He eagerly pointed out how most of the crowds were fair and self policed and gave up anyone of their own who crossed the line.

I am with the Euros on this one... sure there were a few turds in the crowd but c'mon, it IS the freaking RC isn't it??!!

On to Paris in two years.. I hear the French make some good wine.

P.S. Good morning P Willett!!..:-)

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

one of the commentators also had a interesting insight as well. He noted that not everyone in attendance were "golf fans" some were simply "sports fans" and that the less than sportsman type things from spectators which are more acceptable/common in say, football, baseball, or hockey were heard as a result.

1 hour ago, RH31 said:

I think as the event gets bigger and bigger, fan interference is only going to get worse.

This is probably spot on.  The behavior is common in other sports and this even has gotten so big that it draws interest from non-traditional places.  Even my wife was loving it. 

And frankly, the emotions, the crowd and all that only make it more appealing to the "sports fans".

48 minutes ago, Hazsa said:

Yeah, to me its like cheering when the other baseball team makes an error that keeps the inning alive or when the other football team drops a pass on 3rd down.  I don't see why the Ryder Cup would be different.  Its certainly unusual for golf though.  And even though I don't have a problem with it, it surprised me a bit the first time I heard the cheers when a ball went in the water.  It made me think about whether it was right.  I just came down on the other side from you.  :beer:

What a fantastic weekend of golf.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Database Head said:

I can't believe nobody commented on the poor attitude of Jordan Spieth.  He threw his club on the par 3, acting like a total brat.  Then later on his approach he punched his hand and looked a little out of control.  

He didn't represent himself or the US today very well....

Nobody commented because it's not Tiger Woods doing it.

3 hours ago, Scotsclaff said:

The Euro team commented on this with a thousand times more grace than you've displayed here.

3 hours ago, Scotsclaff said:

Shit like that is more disgraceful than what the U.S. fans did.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!