IGNORED

2016 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

dunfy3
Note: This thread is 2748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

I know Americans don't like Poulter but I didn't know other Euro players didn't like him.  

I don't know, either. At the end of the day, these guys only neatly divide into Americans and Europeans for a few days every couple of years, the rest of the time they are just fellow competitors on the PGA Tour. The infamous "I wouldn't help Bubba in a parking lot fist fight" poll probably included the same response from his European peers as the one expressed by his own countrymen. Poulter seems to have managed to earn the tag of "jerk," no doubt that isn't conditional upon the nationality of the person holding that opinion of him.

I guess my point was this: the Americans seem to be placing a fair bit of weight on collegiality; Phil earned an automatic place, so there's nothing to be done about him, but the captain's picks (especially the exclusion of Bubba) seem to tie into this team-based, congenial, "no assholes allowed" approach. I think it's interesting that some "challenging" personalities have good (or even great) Ryder cup records: Faldo, Monty, Poulter, Payne Stewart...(even Bubba's current record isn't too shabby, actually). Faldo wins a special mention for bringing his asshole status to his captaincy, too, and managing to piss off a new generation of Euro players.

Edited by ScouseJohnny
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ScouseJohnny said:

I don't know, either. At the end of the day, these guys only neatly divide into Americans and Europeans for a few days every couple of years, the rest of the time they are just fellow competitors on the PGA Tour. The infamous "I wouldn't help Bubba in a parking lot fist fight" poll probably included the same response from his European peers as the one expressed by his own countrymen. Poulter seems to have managed to earn the tag of "jerk," no doubt that isn't conditional upon the nationality of the person holding that opinion of him.

I guess my point was this: the Americans seem to be placing a fair bit of weight on collegiality; Phil earned an automatic place, so there's nothing to be done about him, but the captain's picks (especially the exclusion of Bubba) seem to tie into this team-based, congenial, "no assholes allowed" approach. I think it's interesting that some "challenging" personalities have good (or even great) Ryder cup records: Faldo, Monty, Poulter, Payne Stewart...(even Bubba's current record isn't too shabby, actually). Faldo wins a special mention for bringing his asshole status to his captaincy, too, and managing to piss off a new generation of Euro players.

I heard DL3 on PGA Tour radio today talking about how important the team concept was and how he wanted complete buy in on the captains picks by the rest of the team.  I guess if he runs everything as a committee he doesn't have to worry about Phil going rogue during a press conference like he did to Watson.  

I don't have a problem with getting buy-in from the team but he was nominated captain for a reason so at some point he needs to put his ass on the line and make some tough decisions if in his heart he believes they are in the best interest of the team.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
8 hours ago, newtogolf said:

I could be wrong but I believe Kuchar was picked for his performance in the Olympics.  I am not a Holmes fan, I don't see him as a good team player and I agree he's a bad partner for alternate shot unless you want to cover up for someone that lacks distance but has a great short game.  I'd have preferred Bubba but it seems Bubba is not very popular with the guys already on the team, so maybe he needs to work on that.  

Of course, Holmes did okay in his previous Ryder Cup.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 9/12/2016 at 2:51 PM, newtogolf said:

I could be wrong but I believe Kuchar was picked for his performance in the Olympics.  I am not a Holmes fan, I don't see him as a good team player and I agree he's a bad partner for alternate shot unless you want to cover up for someone that lacks distance but has a great short game.  I'd have preferred Bubba but it seems Bubba is not very popular with the guys already on the team, so maybe he needs to work on that.  

I agree J.B. is fine as a pick for fourball - 4th highest birdie rate on the team. His strokes gained numbers don't speak as strongly to success in singles, but maybe his aggressive approach will help him more there than in stroke play?

22 hours ago, newtogolf said:

I heard DL3 on PGA Tour radio today talking about how important the team concept was and how he wanted complete buy in on the captains picks by the rest of the team.  I guess if he runs everything as a committee he doesn't have to worry about Phil going rogue during a press conference like he did to Watson.  

I don't have a problem with getting buy-in from the team but he was nominated captain for a reason so at some point he needs to put his ass on the line and make some tough decisions if in his heart he believes they are in the best interest of the team.  

He's stated that he's seeking input, but also said that he would be making the final call. He's taken ownership for the decisions.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Holmes and Zack Johnson in better ball...very solid. Holmes makes 7 or 8 birdies, has handful of blow ups, Johnson 13 of 14 fairways.

Holmes doesn't play any alternate shot.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

3 hours ago, Lefty-Golfer said:

Holmes and Zack Johnson in better ball...very solid. Holmes makes 7 or 8 birdies, has handful of blow ups, Johnson 13 of 14 fairways.

Holmes doesn't play any alternate shot.

Agree about Holmes in alternate shot. Doesn't have the fairway %, is only average at GIR out of the rough and he's poor on proximity and putting.

I think Zach is a little short - especially for this course - for fourball. I think you need both guys to score and between them (one or the other or summed) to have a relatively safe shot at par. Zach is weakest on the team so far in SG and birdie rate. I would hide him in the foursomes partnered with a longer-hitting player like Walker so they average out a bit, hoping for a half.

Kevin

5 hours ago, Big C said:

It won't be unexpected if it happens, but Shane Ryan made a pretty convincing case that Bubba won't be the last pick. 

Bubba is out

Interesting.

Even if Bubba wins at East Lake I don't think he'll be chosen.

Thing is I don't think he'll care,he's his own man.Self taught,self driven and he'd never turn to pandering.

2 hours ago, Scotsclaff said:

Interesting.

Even if Bubba wins at East Lake I don't think he'll be chosen.

Thing is I don't think he'll care,he's his own man.Self taught,self driven and he'd never turn to pandering.

Eh, I dunno.  I've never cared much for him but that article sorta had me sympathizing with him.  I know he's probably brought some of this on himself in terms of interactions he's had with these guys but it has to hurt knowing that virtually all of your co-workers don't like you.  Maybe it'll be yet another learning experience in the evolution of Bubba.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

That was a great read, I agree Bubba is out. Time to turn the page.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Even though the best european player is not playing his best (Rory), I think Europe has a better overall team. Rose, Stenson, Sergio... but the USA team looks also really good... Hard to bet anyway.

We will see an awesome tournament that´s for sure.:banana:

• Upvote 1

:nike:

Based on Davis Love's press conference after picking the 3, I wonder why he didn't just go ahead and pick the 4th right then and there.

it didn't sound to me like there was anything special in the waiting that was really gonna move the needle for anyone.

The only advantage I can see is if someone got injured their being picked could be moved down, in which case there's probably already a caveat allowing for substitutions in such an extreme circumstance.

The delayed 4th pick this year just seems like hype rather than help.

Edited by wannabe

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

5 minutes ago, wannabe said:

Based on Davis Love's press conference after picking the 3, I wonder why he didn't just go ahead and pick the 4th right then and there.

it didn't sound to me like there was anything special in the waiting that was really gonna move the needle for anyone.

The only advantage I can see is if someone got injured their being picked could be moved down, in which case there's probably already a caveat allowing for substitutions in such an extreme circumstance.

You're exactly right. Its a bone for the press and networks. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, wannabe said:

It is possible that he's down to a few names (Thomas and Berger seem to be the clubhouse favorites) and is wanting to see how they play in the tour championship before he makes his final decision. 

3 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Not so fast. Bubba going to practice at Hazeltine.

I still don't think he will be picked. He might be trying to show dedication, but unless he changes his personality...

- Shane

Note: This thread is 2748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!