IGNORED

2016 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

dunfy3
Note: This thread is 2753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 minutes ago, eich41 said:

So then complain about those incidents, but all you've whined about is someone cheering a ball in the water?  Again, please try to illustrate how you distinguish between cheering for a ball in the water which causes someone to lose a hole, or cheering a missed putt which causes someone to lose a hole?

As I pointed out above, there were some things that crossed the line of acceptable behavior, but cheering a ball in the water is a big reach...

Because I'd like to think you're cheering your team winning a hole, not the fact the putt was missed.

You think it's fair game in the RC, that's fine, I disagree and hope France 2018 is supported by the home crowd much as it was in Scotland, Wales and Ireland. That's all I'll say on this because I really should be talking about the golf, which was really spectacular at times. 

Just watching some highlights, that Mickelson/ Garcia match has to be one of the finest in RC history. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Hazsa said:

Just watching some highlights, that Mickelson/ Garcia match has to be one of the finest in RC history. 

That I would agree with.  The only thing that topped it was the Reed/McIlroy match on the front 9.  

Danny Willett Tweet

Very strange week here at the Ryder cup.. Tried my best but played poorly.. Unfortunately some american fans showed that was..

I condemn any fans that shouted, moved or did anything intentional pre-shot to affect the European team and any profanity or slurs tossed at them any time.  I fully support the cheering of bad shots, balls going in the water and missed putts as well as chanting "USA".  

Seems Danny Willett should have left well enough alone as most would forget the stupid comments his brother made and cheer him on in the next season but this comment demonstrates Danny is doubling down on his brothers comments.  At least he can play on the Euro Tour, he may win a few more there anyway.  

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

^Wow, what a disingenuous prick. He attempts to denounce the comments to save face prior to the tournament, then goes on to play like crap (like he's been doing ever since the Masters) and blame it on the fans.

I wish every international player that feels this way would stop accepting the better paychecks and lifestyle that come with playing on the US tour. Better yet, I truly hope that American fans stop supporting with their $$ anyone that feels this way.

You want to see US golf fans- go to Augusta National. You want to see US sports fans- go to the Ryder Cup. Anything done or said at Hazeltine this weekend pales in comparison to what goes on at any Euro soccer match if we're going to compare Apples to Apples.

• Upvote 2

I find it hard to believe that someone shouting a "profanity" at you would from the crowd would even enter your mind while in the middle of a competition.  I would think you'd be tuning it all out, and even if you heard it, why would you care what someone who doesn't know you says to you?  Obviously the person is just trying to get under your skin.  But I guess I've never been in their shoes, I know that the fans are much closer to the players than in other sports, particularly between holes.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

18 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Danny Willett Tweet

I condemn any fans that shouted, moved or did anything intentional pre-shot to affect the European team and any profanity or slurs tossed at them any time.  I fully support the cheering of bad shots, balls going in the water and missed putts as well as chanting "USA".  

Seems Danny Willett should have left well enough alone as most would forget the stupid comments his brother made and cheer him on in the next season but this comment demonstrates Danny is doubling down on his brothers comments.  At least he can play on the Euro Tour, he may win a few more there anyway.  

Apple doesn't fall far from the tree...especially when it is just one branch...

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

14 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Reed always wears a choker necklace. Some sort of rope and bead thing if I remember correctly.

That's a choker?  I thought it was a regular sized necklace and that Patty is just....well, you know....

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

Poulter has fueled himself off the American fans chants and boos for many years, Rory did it as well, though in a bit more obnoxious way than Poulter did.  Watching the Sergio / Phil match yesterday, the fans were very gracious towards Sergio, they cheered louder for Phil, cheered slightly when Sergio missed but also cheered him when he made a good shot. 

Rory and Willett got the worst from the American fans, Rory because of his actions on the course and Willett because of his brothers words.  Rory rose to the occasion and played well.  I would have lost a lot of money on the Reed match as I didn't think Reed could beat him.  Willett crumbled and rather than just write it off as a bad weekend he felt the need to cheap shot the American fans and support his brother, as far as I'm concerned Europe can keep him.  

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

5 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Poulter has fueled himself off the American fans chants and boos for many years, Rory did it as well, though in a bit more obnoxious way than Poulter did.  Watching the Sergio / Phil match yesterday, the fans were very gracious towards Sergio, they cheered louder for Phil, cheered slightly when Sergio missed but also cheered him when he made a good shot. 

Rory and Willett got the worst from the American fans, Rory because of his actions on the course and Willett because of his brothers words.  Rory rose to the occasion and played well.  I would have lost a lot of money on the Reed match as I didn't think Reed could beat him.  Willett crumbled and rather than just write it off as a bad weekend he felt the need to cheap shot the American fans and support his brother, as far as I'm concerned Europe can keep him.  

I don't know that they were "very gracious" to Sergio, it was mentioned a few times that he was being heckled. Specifically I remember the announcer saying he had to stop and restart his putting routine on one hole because of it. I think, for the most part, Phil and Sergio's match didn't have as many of the raucous fans as they were following Rory and Patrick. Also, Sergio didn't feed into it as much by gesturing/screaming/staring etc at the crowd. The dynamic between Rory, Patrick, and the fans following them fed the fire. At least for the front nine. I was not surprised in the least that they cooled off on the back nine. I thought to myself, after Rory made that super long putt and Reed matched with his longish putt, that their energy levels would have to drop soon because it's very hard to stay that amped up through a whole match. Especially given that they had played in every session.

Now, the whole Willett situation is different. He absolutely had a target on him because of what his brother said. Which isn't fair. Unfortunately, there were plenty of fans that lived up to what his brother said so I can understand how he could be a bit bitter at them after he did his best to distance himself from what was said.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

6 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I don't know that they were "very gracious" to Sergio, it was mentioned a few times that he was being heckled. Specifically I remember the announcer saying he had to stop and restart his putting routine on one hole because of it. I think, for the most part, Phil and Sergio's match didn't have as many of the raucous fans as they were following Rory and Patrick. Also, Sergio didn't feed into it as much by gesturing/screaming/staring etc at the crowd. The dynamic between Rory, Patrick, and the fans following them fed the fire. At least for the front nine. I was not surprised in the least that they cooled off on the back nine. I thought to myself, after Rory made that super long putt and Reed matched with his longish putt, that their energy levels would have to drop soon because it's very hard to stay that amped up through a whole match. Especially given that they had played in every session.

Now, the whole Willett situation is different. He absolutely had a target on him because of what his brother said. Which isn't fair. Unfortunately, there were plenty of fans that lived up to what his brother said so I can understand how he could be a bit bitter at them after he did his best to distance himself from what was said.

I was referring to the Sergio / Phil match and whenever they cut to them, the fans were pretty gracious and seemed to appreciate the performance of both golfers but obviously favored Phil being he was playing for the home team.

Sorry but I'm not feeling bad for Willett, his brother is an idiot and put Danny in the cross hairs with his poor attempt at "satire".  While Willett backed away from his brothers piece, he had to know there would be some residual effect from the fans.  

He can be bitter but the tweet he sent out demonstrated his words prior to Friday were just damage control for within his team and he likely shares his brothers sentiments.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

13 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

He let his frustration got the better of him. It happens. 

Jordan - He's grown up a ton in the last 2 years.  His frustrations were kept in check a LOT longer than last time.  Cripes - he's still just a youngster.

Yesterday's matches were incredible, such good golf the entire time.  I was up late on the DVR, trying not see notifications so I'd not see the results.

• Upvote 2

Bill - 

1 hour ago, Hazsa said:

Mickelson/ Garcia match has to be one of the finest in RC history.

While watching them play at our club, I commented to a friend " The Greatest Match ever in RC" as Phil and Serge halved yet another hole on 17. Seconds later, my friend said "they just made the same comment on TV" which I didn't quite catch at the time.

But, it was the best match I have ever watch and most likely may be remembered by many.

• Upvote 2

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

8 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Jordan - He's grown up a ton in the last 2 years.  His frustrations were kept in check a LOT longer than last time.  Cripes - he's still just a youngster.

Especially given the pressure of this event. I've played group events before and the thought of letting your team down is much greater than letting just yourself down. Throw in the fact that you are representing your country in an event that your side has been losing for quite some time. 

- Shane

4 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

While watching them play at our club, I commented to a friend " The Greatest Match ever in RC" as Phil and Serge halved yet another hole on 17. Seconds later, my friend said "they just made the same comment on TV" which I didn't quite catch at the time.

But, it was the best match I have ever watch and most likely may be remembered by many.

The big tie at 18 for the two veterans was the best ending ever for that match.  I'd give the lean to Reed/McIlroy for the best batch of the day, especially that front nine, just freaking WOW.  And Pieters - what a freak of nature - GREAT week for that kid.

I wish the other team would stay out after the closing ceremonies and party publicly with the winning team.  I said it two years ago and still feel that way.  It is, in the end, a giant exhibition event.  Instead of marching off stage - march over to the other half and start opening bottles.

• Upvote 2

Bill - 

14 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

The big tie at 18 for the two veterans was the best ending ever for that match. 

I was rooting for Sergio to sink the putt. I think sprained my shoulder fist pumping during that round...

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

2 hours ago, skydog said:

You want to see US golf fans- go to Augusta National. You want to see US sports fans- go to the Ryder Cup. Anything done or said at Hazeltine this weekend pales in comparison to what goes on at any Euro soccer match if we're going to compare Apples to Apples.

This is a very valid comment and I would expect to see some European football behavior in 2018, regardless of what Rory says.  While I don't condone the actions of the fans, especially the profanity, golfers in general do need to develop a little thicker skin.  At least no one did anything to damage the golfer's equipment, unlike the tacks on the road during the Tour De France.

John

7 hours ago, 70sSanO said:

This is a very valid comment and I would expect to see some European football behavior in 2018, regardless of what Rory says. 

A lot happens in two years, Europeans are passionate about their football but are pretty laid back when it comes to golf.  I'm sure some will seek retribution for the treatment our fans gave the Euro team but I am also looking forward to watching Reed play the heel there.  

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!