IGNORED

range balls vs real balls experiment results

Gilberg
Note: This thread is 3048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, I hit balls at the driving range today, and noticed that the balls were carrying really short. The balls themselves were soaking wet. The temperature was a little less than 58F and the air was cold and damp, but the balls were going about 25 yards less than I expected on my drives.

The variation in air temperature which is about:

226 -------105

224 ------- 95

222 ------- 85

220 ------- 75

216 ------- 65

214 ------- 55

205 ------- 45

196 ------- 35

For the temperature in question is is only 221-215 or 6 yards.

I took out my Disto 810, and measured the bounce height off a smooth and clean spot in the pavement. 10 of the range balls bounced from 34 to 38 inches on 3 trials each. Yes, I looked like a total nerd on the range. In any case, I took the ProV1x from my bag and did the same thing and all three balls bounced to 40 inches within an 1 inch or so. The COR is sqrt(h/H) where h is the bounce back height and H is the drop height. I calculated the range balls to have a COR of 0.775 while my proV1 were right about 0.8165 which accounts for about 5.4% distance variation. On my drives this translates to about 12-13 yards.

So, temperature and COR loss account for only 18-19 yards of lost distance not 25 yards or so.

Could the damp conditions could account for the remaining yards lost? Or maybe it was the fact that the balls were soaking wet as if they sat in a vat of water overnight which also influenced flight? Or both?

Not sure what the remaining 6-7 yards could be from?

You answered the question yourself in the bolded bit above. Less friction with all clubs equals less spin and less carry - even with driver. This is why Bubba was whining in the rain at the PGA last year. He hits with so much spin to shape it big off the tee that when he loses a little friction he loses a ton of control.

Per pic below and this link: http://probablegolfinstruction.com/golf-ball-temperature.htm

Kevin

So, I went to the range this evening, I had some time off because I need to work tonight.

My distances came back. I was getting 25 yards farther carries even against a light breeze.

Temperature: 72F to 76F

Drier Air: about 35% humidity rather than "really damp"

Dry, warmer and newer balls at a different range.

I didn't check the COR of the balls as I figured they were "normal" again.

Almost 3 full buckets. Tired but satisfied that I did not suddenly lose the ability to hit. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So, I went to the range this evening, I had some time off because I need to work tonight.

My distances came back. I was getting 25 yards farther carries even against a light breeze.

Almost 3 full buckets. Tired but satisfied that I did not suddenly lose the ability to hit. . .

Back to about 1-2 clubs short again, but not as short as yesterday. The conditions were:

Temperature: 55F to 61F (start to finish)

Drier Air, but still a little "damp".

Original range again, and I even hit a couple Pro-V1x from my bag. 2 clubs longer both times with a 6i as compared to 20 range balls.

This exercise is making me appreciate premium balls more, temperature/dampness seems to affect range balls a lot more than premium balls. One good reason we pay $4-$5 for brand new premium balls, and for me $1 used. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Back to about 1-2 clubs short again, but not as short as yesterday. The conditions were:

Original range again, and I even hit a couple Pro-V1x from my bag. 2 clubs longer both times with a 6i as compared to 20 range balls.

This exercise is making me appreciate premium balls more, temperature/dampness seems to affect range balls a lot more than premium balls. One good reason we pay $4-$5 for brand new premium balls, and for me, $1 used. . .

Not limited to the premium balls.   I usually add 5 - 10 yards to my range ball distance no matter which ball I play in field.  And it works.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/82859/range-balls-vs-real-balls-experiment-results/72#post_1201021"]   [QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/82859/range-balls-vs-real-balls-experiment-results/72#post_1200827"]   So, I went to the range this evening, I had some time off because I need to work tonight. My distances came back. I was getting 25 yards farther carries even against a light breeze. Temperature: 72F to 76F Drier Air: about 35% humidity rather than "really damp" Dry, warmer and newer balls at a different range. I didn't check the COR of the balls as I figured they were "normal" again. Almost 3 full buckets. Tired but satisfied that I did not suddenly lose the ability to hit. . . [/QUOTE] Back to about 1-2 clubs short again, but not as short as yesterday. The conditions were: Temperature: 55F to 61F (start to finish) Drier Air, but still a little "damp". Original range again, and I even hit a couple Pro-V1x from my bag. 2 clubs longer both times with a 6i as compared to 20 range balls. This exercise is making me appreciate premium balls more, temperature/dampness seems to affect range balls a lot more than premium balls. One good reason we pay $4-$5 for brand new premium balls, and for me, $1 used. . . [/QUOTE] Not limited to the premium balls.   I usually add 5 - 10 yards to my range ball distance no matter which ball I play in field.  And it works.

Not surprised, but what I am adding is that temperature seems to affect range balls much more. There are conditions where range balls have identical performance to premium or other balls.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Not surprised, but what I am adding is that temperature seems to affect range balls much more.

Why, and how?

IDK how, but it seems to at least legitimize all the research and development done to design premium balls?

They are not "premium" just for show, I suppose. :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Also, as a side note, humid air is LESS dense than dry air. Hot n humid would be the best carry conditions.

True. But temperature is the dominant factor. In Lihu's example of 58* 5% humidity yields a 3.5% distance drop. If you up the humidity to 95% with same temp it's a 2.6% distance drop.

This exercise is making me appreciate premium balls more, temperature/dampness seems to affect range balls a lot more than premium balls. One good reason we pay $4-$5 for brand new premium balls, and for me $1 used. . .

The commonality between this session and the other and differing from the normal seems to be the combination of air temperature and dampness.The 'normal' session was dry.

The damp cool air promotes surface condensation or 'dew'. In my experience with these types of mornings or evenings, the balls, and even the driver head itself becomes a condensation surface especially if the driver was left in a cold place for many hours. Range balls on cool mornings after cold nights are more likely to be dew collectors if the air is damp (as well as being 'stiffer'). If you are hitting your driver with low spin already, the extra moisture may be robbing it of it's 'wings'.

Experiment: next time you notice cool & damp and less carry distance, be meticulous about drying off each ball before you tee it and then the face of the driver before you hit. Be careful not to ground the club at address to also avoid the damp grass. You might also just bash a couple of drives to start without monitoring the distance just to up the club head temp a bit, but the towel will be more effective.

You are also probably right about the range balls being a factor relative to premium balls in the same temp. They are made for durability so they have a much harder cover. This probably has a much narrower temp window for playability than a decent game ball with a reasonably soft cover. I would split the difference and give half the effect to moisture between the ball / driver face and the harder range ball cover not 'behaving' in lower temps. If you are playing early in the morning, the 'range rock' effect is most pronounced because they have been exposed to the overnight temps and they tend to warm up and cool off pretty slowly.

Kevin

Good ideas. I'll try those suggestions. In the meantime, I've gone in the evenings when it's warmer and drier but at a different range. The balls go about what I expect. So, I'll experiment with what you suggest at the first range.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Someone gave me some old balls that were at least 20 years old from the looks of them. Of course, You know me, I hit them into the range without asking the owner if that was ok to do. But that's another thread and time. :-) Anyway, I have to say I was surprised by the distances I was getting with them. Not much shorter from the regular range balls I hit there. But then again the range balls there are beat up too.
  1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

Most range balls are rock distance balls unless the range buys short distance balls because of limited space...a lot depends on how long these ranges keep these balls in play...I've bben the ranges that the balls hardly had any dimples left in them....My balls travel further on the golf course..

Experiment: next time you notice cool & damp and less carry distance, be meticulous about drying off each ball before you tee it and then the face of the driver before you hit. Be careful not to ground the club at address to also avoid the damp grass. You might also just bash a couple of drives to start without monitoring the distance just to up the club head temp a bit, but the towel will be more effective.

Hit 100 driver this morning with range balls.

The balls were soaked and wet. The paint on the surface felt "wet" and it was damp but warm (68F).

I drove short by about 20 yards of where I expected. The balls landed by the "215" flag with my 136 gram DG X100 Talylormade Burner 9 degree driver. Normally they go over that hill and I can hit the "235" flag with the same driver.

I dried off 25 of the balls and they seemed to consistently hit the flag area or even go a little past it as compared to the 75 balls that I hit "wet".

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

If your hitting it 133.3 with your 5 iron or 400 feet you might as well play with any ball because your game needs to level up a bit before you worry about distances. Find a new range ball in the batch that hasn't been beat up and get a calalway hx pro or a titlest pro v1 and find a flat garage type cement surface. Drop the balls at the same time notice how they rebound in height. They will actually be pretty similar range balls just spin a lot less vs a good ball and a beat up range ball will rebound less meaning less carry because it's dead.

If your hitting it 133.3 with your 5 iron or 400 feet you might as well play with any ball because your game needs to level up a bit before you worry about distances. Find a new range ball in the batch that hasn't been beat up and get a calalway hx pro or a titlest pro v1 and find a flat garage type cement surface. Drop the balls at the same time notice how they rebound in height. They will actually be pretty similar range balls just spin a lot less vs a good ball and a beat up range ball will rebound less meaning less carry because it's dead.

@Gilberg was just in a drunken and rambling mode when he wrote that post. He tees off par 4s with his 5i or 4i or whatever. He seems to be a pretty decently long hitting golfer. :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Hit 100 driver this morning with range balls.

The balls were soaked and wet. The paint on the surface felt "wet" and it was damp but warm (68F).

I drove short by about 20 yards of where I expected. The balls landed by the "215" flag with my 136 gram DG X100 Talylormade Burner 9 degree driver. Normally they go over that hill and I can hit the "235" flag with the same driver.

I dried off 25 of the balls and they seemed to consistently hit the flag area or even go a little past it as compared to the 75 balls that I hit "wet".

So are you buying into the wet / condensation idea? Good idea to carry heated balls before a cool morning round?

Kevin

Good idea to carry heated balls before a cool morning round?

I think it's technically illegal to intentionally heat your golf balls in competition, but I know there are no rules against placing it in your pocket between holes or switching out each hole to a ball that has sat in a warm pocket for a while.

I found the ruling, from decision 14-3/13.5 "Golf Ball Artificially Warmed"

Q.Is the use of a golf ball that was purposely warmed during a stipulated round with a golf ball warmer, hand warmer or any such device a breach of Rule 14-3?

A.Yes. Use of a ball that has been purposely warmed during a stipulated round with an artificial device constitutes a breach of Rule 14-3. However, it would not be a breach of Rule 14-3 to use a ball that was artificially warmed prior to the stipulated round.

So you're allowed to warm your balls before the round, then presumably stick them in an insulated cooler to keep them warm, or you can do what I do and heat them up using my breath/pocket between holes when I play in cold tournaments. It likely has no measurable effect for me to do this, but it makes me feel like I'm doing everything I can at least.

@Gilberg was just in a drunken and rambling mode when he wrote that post. He tees off par 4s with his 5i or 4i or whatever. He seems to be a pretty decently long hitting golfer.

He states getting 400 feet yes feet with his 5 iron that equates to 133.3 yards

@Gilberg was just in a drunken and rambling mode when he wrote that post. He tees off par 4s with his 5i or 4i or whatever. He seems to be a pretty decently long hitting golfer.

Oh ok he stated 400 feet that's 133 yards it was his question.

Note: This thread is 3048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!