Sign in to follow this  
Gilberg

range balls vs real balls experiment results

Note: This thread is 1400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

118 posts / 9821 viewsLast Reply

Funny, my 5 only goes about 120 smoots.

I did notice that some range balls only go about 100-110 smoots.  But the ones with the high end range ball, like Pro V1 Practice balls, they seem to go about 120 smoots.  There were some where the driving range is a pond, it only seems to go about 150 smoots even with the driver.

224 yards versus 196 yards?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

... So, if it were possible to get a few members to repeat the experiment and record the range ball types etc, then record every distance we might get an interesting statistic and at different swing speeds because that seems to affect the results as well. ...

L,

You have a 12 HDCP, and I have a 23. Get someone about 18 HDCP, plus a 5 HDCP and someone with a +1 HDCP, we could cover most of the HDCP zones. We can do Range balls vs. game day balls, and several different clubs in the mix.

Maybe Erik can sponsor a "Golf Mythbusters" week in Erie, PA.

oops, i just now realized i should have phoneticized it.....Does the speedo in your CAH read out...

Yeah. I drive wicked fast on the way to the course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I measure distances in furlongs.

that seems rather amatuerish - I gauge my shots on the range in hang time vs. distance.

Something like this -

Driver - 3 Mississippi's

3 wood - 2 Mississippi's and a Mississ

3 hybrid - 3 Oklahoma's

4 iron - 3 Virginia's

5 iron - 3 Arkansas

6 iron - 3 Florida's

and then I have to practice my Tiger topped 3 wood and that is 1/2 of an Oh Shit

Excellent system.  I suppose that Tiger's shot would be measured in smaller increments like Rhode Islands.

Whenever I have a vexing question, I always ask my old pen pal too.

[QUOTE name="DaveP043" url="/t/82859/range-balls-vs-real-balls-experiment-results#post_1161191"]   oops, i just now realized i should have phoneticized it.....Does the speedo in your CAH read out... [/QUOTE] Yeah. I drive wicked fast on the way to the course. [QUOTE name="Wally Fairway" url="/t/82859/range-balls-vs-real-balls-experiment-results/18#post_1161288"]   [QUOTE name="boogielicious" url="/t/82859/range-balls-vs-real-balls-experiment-results#post_1161182"]   I measure distances in furlongs. [/QUOTE] that seems rather amatuerish - I gauge my shots on the range in hang time vs. distance. Something like this - Driver - 3 Mississippi's 3 wood - 2 Mississippi's and a Mississ 3 hybrid - 3 Oklahoma's 4 iron - 3 Virginia's 5 iron - 3 Arkansas 6 iron - 3 Florida's and then I have to practice my Tiger topped 3 wood and that is 1/2 of an Oh Shit [/QUOTE] Excellent system.  I suppose that Tiger's shot would be measured in smaller increments like Rhode Islands.

It takes a tad longer for me to say Rhode Island, than Mississippi. 10 times in a row 6 seconds for Mississippi and 7 for Rhode Island. . . :-D

Whenever I have a vexing question, I always ask my old pen pal too.

And I wouldn't dare take lessons from someone who couldn't guess my weight

Agreed. How the heck is he going to help me with my weight shift if he doesn't even know how much I weigh to begin with.

Me too.  Plus, my pen pal wouldn't even know whether my glute is activated or not at the time of my swing.

This should be the kinky thread on this message board. Everything else is extraneous. BTW I measure my distances in parsecs

This should be the kinky thread on this message board. Everything else is extraneous. BTW I measure my distances in parsecs

That'd be attoparsecs or rather yoctoparsecs. :-D

That'd be attoparsecs or rather yoctoparsecs. :-D

Lol lol!! Lihu....You lovable nerd

:dance: Would be hard to break a 100 with a 400ft 5i! No GIR on par 3's over 140 yards, par 4's over 340 yards and par 5's over 460 yards, would be pretty difficult golf.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveP043

oops, i just now realized i should have phoneticized it.....Does the speedo in your CAH read out...

Yeah. I drive wicked fast on the way to the course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally Fairway

Quote:

I measure distances in furlongs.

that seems rather amatuerish - I gauge my shots on the range in hang time vs. distance.

Something like this -

Driver - 3 Mississippi's

3 wood - 2 Mississippi's and a Mississ

3 hybrid - 3 Oklahoma's

4 iron - 3 Virginia's

5 iron - 3 Arkansas

6 iron - 3 Florida's

and then I have to practice my Tiger topped 3 wood and that is 1/2 of an Oh Shit

Excellent system.  I suppose that Tiger's shot would be measured in smaller increments like Rhode Islands.

It takes a tad longer for me to say Rhode Island, than Mississippi. 10 times in a row 6 seconds for Mississippi and 7 for Rhode Island. . .

True, but if you went with the State nickname, "Rhody", then it would work out. :-P

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/82859/range-balls-vs-real-balls-experiment-results/36#post_1161500"]   [QUOTE name="boogielicious" url="/t/82859/range-balls-vs-real-balls-experiment-results/36#post_1161486"]   [QUOTE name="DaveP043" url="/t/82859/range-balls-vs-real-balls-experiment-results#post_1161191"]   oops, i just now realized i should have phoneticized it.....Does the speedo in your CAH read out...[/QUOTE] Yeah. I drive wicked fast on the way to the course. [QUOTE name="Wally Fairway" url="/t/82859/range-balls-vs-real-balls-experiment-results/18#post_1161288"]   [QUOTE name="boogielicious" url="/t/82859/range-balls-vs-real-balls-experiment-results#post_1161182"]   I measure distances in furlongs.[/QUOTE] that seems rather amatuerish - I gauge my shots on the range in hang time vs. distance. Something like this - Driver - 3 Mississippi's 3 wood - 2 Mississippi's and a Mississ 3 hybrid - 3 Oklahoma's 4 iron - 3 Virginia's 5 iron - 3 Arkansas 6 iron - 3 Florida's and then I have to practice my Tiger topped 3 wood and that is 1/2 of an Oh Shit[/QUOTE] Excellent system.  I suppose that Tiger's shot would be measured in smaller increments like Rhode Islands.[/QUOTE] It takes a tad longer for me to say Rhode Island, than Mississippi. 10 times in a row 6 seconds for Mississippi and 7 for Rhode Island. . . :-D [/QUOTE] True, but if you went with the State nickname, "Rhody", then it would work out. :-P

Wow, still kind of a "tongue twister", but took off 2 seconds. :-P BTW, What's the difference between a person who lives there and the name of the state? Are they both called the same thing?

Wow, still kind of a "tongue twister", but took off 2 seconds. :-P BTW, What's the difference between a person who lives there and the name of the state? Are they both called the same thing?

same name as a adult beverage to go

I know Gilberg's predicament quite well. At the range, using the yellow balls with black stripes, my 5 iron goes 400 feet too. On the course, jeez, I only get half that if I'm lucky. My neighbor says it's because the range never gets any rain, so most of that distance in roll out. On the course, they don't roll  good in the tall grass.

I think you folks are being kind of tough on Gilberg.  He is asking an honest question about how range balls perform relative to non-range ball with regard to distance.   The answer is, in general and on average, range balls are shorter given the same launch parameters.  If you hit a real ball with your 5 iron it might go 410 feet.  Also I wonder where Gilberg got his handicap index.   I have never seen a USGA handicap index with a hundredth digit.  I would think this just a typing error except if your teaching Pro thinks you're close to professional status then your index couldn't be 20.2.  I guess the other thing about the post that bothered me was if you have an index close to 2 and hit a 5 iron around 133 yards, you must have a short game to behold and Phil will probably be calling for advice. :whistle:

Note: This thread is 1400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!