IGNORED

What is really wrong with Tiger Woods?

Colton17
Note: This thread is 3216 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

#220 in OWGR this week. Shocking.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you do not place, you are replaced.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Quote:

Originally Posted by David L Yskes

he doesnt play enough.....

this.

Plus he's swinging too hard.    I would like to see him develop a more control game rather than trying to regain his youthful power game now that he's aging.    A drive 285 on the fairway is better than 310 in somebody's backyard ...

Furthermore, I think it would show maturity and gain him a lot of fans that realize he's playing smarter and using the body he has left to his advantage by adapting to a more realistic playing style.

^^^ To the post above with regard to world ranking ... is there a danger he will lose his tour card if he continues at this rate ?

He will certainly have exemptions ... but I would like to know if losing his card is in the cards for who many consider the GOAT  ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Here's a list of golfers you've never heard of who are ahead of him in the OWGR: Kazuhiro Yamashita-Japan Adam Bland-Australia Ryan Fox-New Zealand Taichi Teshima-Japan Angelo Que-Philippines Danie Van Tonder-South Africa Jacques Blaauw-South Africa Chapchal Nirat-Thailand Katsumasa Miyamoto-Japan Cosmo Kramer-USA Jaco Ahlers-South Africa Dean Burmester-South Africa Seung Hyuk Kim-South Korea Jeunghan Wang-South Korea Inhoi Hur-South Korea Dead Marvin-Pulp Fiction Yoshinori Fujimoto-Japan Benjamin Hebert-France Andrew Dodt-Australia Toshunori Muto-Japan Tomohiro Kondo-Japan Gary Stal-France

Riley

• Administrator
Here's a list of golfers you've never heard of who are ahead of him in the OWGR:

Kazuhiro Yamashita-Japan

Adam Bland-Australia

Ryan Fox-New Zealand

Taichi Teshima-Japan

Angelo Que-Philippines

Danie Van Tonder-South Africa

Jacques Blaauw-South Africa

Chapchal Nirat-Thailand

Katsumasa Miyamoto-Japan

Cosmo Kramer-USA

Jaco Ahlers-South Africa

Dean Burmester-South Africa

Seung Hyuk Kim-South Korea

Jeunghan Wang-South Korea

Inhoi Hur-South Korea

Dead Marvin-Pulp Fiction

Yoshinori Fujimoto-Japan

Benjamin Hebert-France

Andrew Dodt-Australia

Toshunori Muto-Japan

Tomohiro Kondo-Japan

Gary Stal-France

The foreign tours (Euro, Asian, etc.) overstate the points they give in the OWGR. There's a fairly strong bias against PGA Tour players in the OWGR. Though a person or two here will contend that point, it's bordering on a fact that this is the case. So… yeah, there are a lot of non-PGA Tour players higher in the OWGR than they should be.

That's not to say that… Tiger probably shouldn't even be #220 at this point, so who is ahead of him is almost moot. Move those people back 30 or 40 spots and they should probably STILL be ranked ahead of Tiger. Tiger still gets some of the points from his 2013 season at this point, no?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Here's a list of golfers you've never heard of who are ahead of him in the OWGR: Kazuhiro Yamashita-Japan Adam Bland-Australia Ryan Fox-New Zealand Taichi Teshima-Japan Angelo Que-Philippines Danie Van Tonder-South Africa Jacques Blaauw-South Africa Chapchal Nirat-Thailand Katsumasa Miyamoto-Japan Cosmo Kramer-USA Jaco Ahlers-South Africa Dean Burmester-South Africa Seung Hyuk Kim-South Korea Jeunghan Wang-South Korea Inhoi Hur-South Korea Dead Marvin-Pulp Fiction Yoshinori Fujimoto-Japan Benjamin Hebert-France Andrew Dodt-Australia Toshunori Muto-Japan Tomohiro Kondo-Japan Gary Stal-France

OK, you slipped Cosmo in to see if we're paying attention, no?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

several world top players have been down.

First to come in mind is andre agassy.

I wonder thought if woods has been affected by his discovery that public opinion dictates how he should conduct his personal life style.

Furthemore the people behind this public opinion would love to do what woods has, but still blame him for doing it.

• Upvote 1

1) Only one actual observation about his golf swing in the U.S. Open: Way too steep with his woods. Jason Day commented on how well he hit his irons in the practice rounds and how bad he was off the tee. Great irons and poor woods is a sign of coming in way too steep.

2) I think and its simply my opinion that he is torn between two fundamental ideas on how the golf club is to be be swung, i.e. he questioned the physics along the lines. When he was with Butch and Hank he had a good swing. Pair that with an unbelievable short game and great golf course management and you got yourself a champion. His never ending quest to make the swing robotic has led him to where he is today. There are too many variables in the game and the physical limitations of the human body to think you can hit every fairway and every green on the PGA tour. He can do that during practice rounds but thats not the tour.

3) He dosent look like he wants to play. This is the hardest thing for me to watch. I hope his ego and lack of humility will finally lead him to win again. While I don't think he has the Majors in him needed to break Jacks record, I would like to see him have most all time wins. Personally I'm pulling for him. I used to hate to watch him win but there is no doubt Golf needs him as a player.

4) Personally I would like to see him slow his swing down. His swing speed seems very uncomfortable for him and produces erratic results at best.

I can think of one motivating factor for Woods that Duval himself mentioned. Woods wants his kids to see just how good he can be. Maybe that's something Woods isn't mentioning. It's one thing to have actually witnessed his career circa 2000 - 2002, where he was a foot taller than everyone else, which was quite something and another to be told about it.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

If you do not place, you are replaced.

I'm dumbfounded why he's not playing more. For a guy who's so desperate to get his game back, I'm just confused. He's a smart guy and should know that working on your home course is no where near the same experience as getting tournament reps. Plus I would think he wants to play with the World Golf and Fed Ex events. I know he's playing a few times in the coming months, but it's still not the busiest schedule....no where what Jordan Spieth plays.

I honestly think the swing excuse is dumb and this "trusting the process" and "getting caught between patters" is a load of BS. It doesn't take you 10 months to fix your swing. I shoot in the low-to-mid 70s...I made some huge adjustments to my swing a couple months ago, a lot more drastic than Tiger....and while I was shooting in the low 80s there for a few days I was able to get used to it and get back in the low 70s again. I think it's a mental thing, some of which has to do with his back and trusting his game out there. I think his confidence on the course is a mess, which worries me a little because that's what ruined guys like David Duval and Ian Baker-Finch. I just hope he can figure it out.

I think it's going to take a few good rounds in a row to get him headed back in the right direction, but you can't do that unless you're playing on a week-to-week basis. He needs to play. Whoever's advising him on his scheduled needs to have their head examined. They did an interview with Retief Goosen earlier this year who had back surgery and they asked him about his play getting better and he said simply it was about playing more tournaments than what he typically plays because that's the only way to get comfortable out there.

I honestly think the swing excuse is dumb and this "trusting the process" and "getting caught between patters" is a load of BS. It doesn't take you 10 months to fix your swing

It took Tiger over a year to change his swing from Butch to Hank and that was with out major sports injuries.

Also, you can be caught between patters. As someone who has changed his swing, I know it can happen. Some instances the better swing is there, and others you revert back. It can be a challenge. I'm not the one on the PGA Tour trying to compete with the best golfers in the world on the toughest of golf courses.

I shoot in the low-to-mid 70s...I made some huge adjustments to my swing a couple months ago, a lot more drastic than Tiger....

Really, prove it?

Also, it is much harder to shoot below 70 on the courses Tiger plays on than shooting in the low 70's on the courses you play on. To even compare what Tiger needs to do to achieve the level play he wants to be at to what you had to do to achieve the level of play you are at is absurd. The comparison would be like overhauling a Toyota Camry, getting it ready for every day driving compared to overhauling a NASCAR race car for the Daytona 500.

While I do think a lot of his issues are mental. The fact is he can't transition to the course the swing he wants. Some have said his swing on the range looks really good. Some might be the swing isn't 100% there yet.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Playing more, to get better, physically may not be an option for him. His body, due to past injuries, might not be able to take on an increased playing schedule.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

It took Tiger over a year to change his swing from Butch to Hank and that was with out major sports injuries.

Also, you can be caught between patters. As someone who has changed his swing, I know it can happen. Some instances the better swing is there, and others you revert back. It can be a challenge. I'm not the one on the PGA Tour trying to compete with the best golfers in the world on the toughest of golf courses.

I can understand being caught between patterns at first, but after 6 months? I just find it hard to believe that he's been practicing as much as he has and he still is struggling with this "new swing". I hate to sound like Brandel Chamblee, but it's just fishy. Also, while he was changing his swing from Harmon, it didn't effect him much on the course. He was still shooting good scores.

Really, prove it?

Also, it is much harder to shoot below 70 on the courses Tiger plays on than shooting in the low 70's on the courses you play on. To even compare what Tiger needs to do to achieve the level play he wants to be at to what you had to do to achieve the level of play you are at is absurd. The comparison would be like overhauling a Toyota Camry, getting it ready for every day driving compared to overhauling a NASCAR race car for the Daytona 500.

While I do think a lot of his issues are mental. The fact is he can't transition to the course the swing he wants. Some have said his swing on the range looks really good. Some might be the swing isn't 100% there yet.

Come watch me at the US Open next year and I'll prove it :) haha. J/k (well, hopefully not). But I play on Innisbrook regularly which is a couple miles from where I live, which is where they play the Valspar, so I wouldn't say they're that much different. Innisbrook is set up a bit different, though, than the week of the tournament.

But when you're hitting it well on the range and not on the course, it's simply a fact that it's not so much the swing, which is not my point...it's more a mental struggle. However, that's why I say he needs to get out there and play more regularly on the PGA Tour. Get some playing experience out there and work on bringing that game from the range to the course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisP

I shoot in the low-to-mid 70s...I made some huge adjustments to my swing a couple months ago, a lot more drastic than Tiger....

Really, prove it?

Aw common ... a Camry ?!?     Thats harsh ... a guy that shoots low to mid 70's has to be at least a V8 Mustang compared to a Nascar stock car ... I'd be the Camry

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I keep seeing this thing about how long it took him to go from dad to Butch or Butch to Hank. Just ain't so. He didn't miss cuts during those transitions and the farthest he moved from #1 was still in the top 10, not #220. I appreciate those who continue to wish for Tiger's return and use little tidbits like these to reassure themselves but at some point, you gotta get real. Tiger has never been anywhere near the state he's currently in and there is no evidence across the past year that he'll ever get it back.

Note: This thread is 3216 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!