IGNORED

What is really wrong with Tiger Woods?

Colton17
Note: This thread is 3213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I can understand being caught between patterns at first, but after 6 months?

It hasn't been six months. They spent entirely too much time working on the short game. I say "entirely too much time" because it's kind of ridiculous that Tiger seems to think the short game "patterns" or "releases" are the same as the full swing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I keep seeing this thing about how long it took him to go from dad to Butch or Butch to Hank. Just ain't so. He didn't miss cuts during those transitions and the farthest he moved from #1 was still in the top 10, not #220. I appreciate those who continue to wish for Tiger's return and use little tidbits like these to reassure themselves but at some point, you gotta get real. Tiger has never been anywhere near the state he's currently in and there is no evidence across the past year that he'll ever get it back.

Older, more background injuries, more swings behind him, and the mental load of all the above with growing pressure of father time = lower lows in the meantime.

I still maintain that given time he'll bounce back to his winning ways and we could see several more "2013s" in his future, with a Major or three sprinkled throughout the rest of his career. The only wildcard here is injury.

Here's what I see, and what others here have observed. He simply does not make the same swings during a tournament round as he does on the range. He just doesn't. Something happens that when he's under pressure in a tournament his tempo gets all out of whack and resembles an apopleptic fit instead of the smooth, controlled, dead sexy swings he displays on the range.

Colin P.

• Administrator

Here's what I see, and what others here have observed. He simply does not make the same swings during a tournament round as he does on the range. He just doesn't.

Yes.

For all that talk about how mentally strong Tiger is, this says otherwise.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

He just hit every fairway and every green on the front 9 of his pro am today.  Now watch tomorrow, he wont hit any fairways and he'll miss half the greens.

In my bag

Driver:      SLDR 10.5*

Hybrids:   Taylormade RBZ Stage 2

Irons:       NikeVR PRO 4-PW

Wedges:   Nike VR Pro 50* 54* 58*

Putter:      2014 Newport 2

Ball:          E6

He just hit every fairway and every green on the front 9 of his pro am today.  Now watch tomorrow, he wont hit any fairways and he'll miss half the greens.

Lets not talk that during the 2nd round of the US Open he hit 71% of his fairways , and 67% of the greens in regulation .

:whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Lets not talk that during the 2nd round of the US Open he hit 71% of his fairways, and 67% of the greens in regulation.

lol, what about the other 3 rounds?  I hope he plays well!

In my bag

Driver:      SLDR 10.5*

Hybrids:   Taylormade RBZ Stage 2

Irons:       NikeVR PRO 4-PW

Wedges:   Nike VR Pro 50* 54* 58*

Putter:      2014 Newport 2

Ball:          E6

Drop the quarter, make the call to Butch, and say, "Butch, I want to take up golf."

Go from there. Once he gets the funk out of his head and returns to something he can trust, he will be on the road to recovery. It may not be instant, and he may not return to where he once was. He is older. But I think it would be sustainable.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Has the genius been coached out of Tiger Woods? His first instructor says no [Gold Digest]

Quote:
Chamblee has said “the genius of Tiger Woods has been coached out of him,” by too much information from too many coaches, and that he “traded his genius for the ideas of others.”

“I would not agree with that,” Duran, now the director of instruction at Morro Bay (Calif.) Golf Course, said on Tuesday. “I would say that he’s just sorting things out. I have no problem believing he’ll come back and win more tournaments.

“When he gets it sorted out, he’ll be winning, and you’re not going to be surprised when, say, he shoots a 65 in the British Open.”

Duran bases his assessment in part from watching Woods on the practice tee at the U.S. Open, with Fox Sports’ shot tracer set up behind him.

“He was hitting high draws and low draws and fades and straight balls,” Duran said. “He didn’t miss a shot in 10 or 15 shots that I saw. How can his swing be going wrong when you do that?”

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/06/has-the-genius-been-coached-ou.html

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Bottom line ... would YOU take him on your fantasy team right now ?

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Bottom line ... would YOU take him on your fantasy team right now ?

Yep :)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I think he's physically not healthy and hasn't been for years.  I mean he always looks cut and muscular, but I believe his body has just broken down from injury and working out too hard for 15 or so straight years.

He's had the broken leg, knees, back problem, wrist problems, glutes that won't activate ... and probably other injuries I can't remember.  And working to rehab injuries takes a long time.  Much of which means taking time OFF from rigorous workouts--something I'm not sure he can live without.

Tiger's body is just giving out on him earlier than it certainly should have.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Was watching this video just to see anything of note (cannot embed it as owner has disabled playback on any other website other than Youtube) . Fairway wood at 1:52 seems to have a familiar bad move; seems to squat down and fire lower body with arms trying catch up and ends up just throwing them at the ball.

Don't know what causes that; an urge to hit hard, bad sequencing or just that arms in a bad position at the top of BS., etc.

Anyone care to comment?

Vishal S.

Was watching this video just to see anything of note (cannot embed it as owner has disabled playback on any other website other than Youtube) . Fairway wood at 1:52 seems to have a familiar bad move; seems to squat down and fire lower body with arms trying catch up and ends up just throwing them at the ball.

Don't know what causes that; an urge to hit hard, bad sequencing or just that arms in a bad position at the top of BS., etc.

Anyone care to comment?

Sorry, here is the link. Thought I posted it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuCXlPzGmJU

Vishal S.

Probably for the first time in his life, in spite of his proclamations, Tiger has lost confidence and his problems are where the game is played (the 6" between his ears).  If you don't step up to a golf ball believing you're going to hit good shot, you won't.  He doesn't need a teaching pro he need a Psychiatrist.  Taking your game from the range to the course is an old problem that most of we normal folks have suffered from at one time or another.  I guess we just keep thinking Tiger is immune to all the problems we normal humans suffer from, but I guess we are wrong.

Butch

I guess we just keep thinking Tiger is immune to all the problems we normal humans suffer from, but I guess we are wrong.

Kind of OT but I think we do that with a lot of tour players, especially when it comes to mental game or being mentally "tough". Tour players aren't born with more mental toughness than the average guy, if they're born with any extra talent, it's their ability to hit the ball solid over and over again.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Kind of OT but I think we do that with a lot of tour players, especially when it comes to mental game or being mentally "tough". Tour players aren't born with more mental toughness than the average guy, if they're born with any extra talent, it's their ability to hit the ball solid over and over again.

Not sure I agree with this. Mind strength is what separates professional athletes in all sports. Those with short memories, greater will, ability to overcome adversity, etc. I believe it's an innate ability. The world is littered with minor leaguers possessing tremendous physical skills. It's typically the mind that determines true greatness.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Note: This thread is 3213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!