IGNORED

2015 Greenbrier Classic Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Many may have seen the Kostis comparison - left-right screen - of Tiger's range swing and course swing with driver.

Impressive out of the box thinking for them ... they started the vid at the same time to compare tempo between the two swings (assuming Tiger was not slowing down on the range).

The course swing had a much quicker tempo, with a severe head droop in two places during the downswing -- I believe the range swing drop was a few inches, while the on course head drop was, they stated, as 7-8 inches, and the drop occurred twice.

It seemed revealing to this average golfer.

I remember Jack Nicklaus saying with the driver, that he would attempt to approach that swing, even setting up to the ball as slowly as possible... my guess is that Jack knew he had a natural tendency to speed up the on-course tempo, and had to remind himself to slo-mo, and it would be his normal swing.

Did not find it on youtube ...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Random amusing factoid: Earlier this morning the leader in both the Greenbrier and the French Open was 11 under par. If you were -6 in France, you were Francesco Molinari and sitting alone in 5th place. If you were -6 in WV, then you were tied with 8 other guys in 32nd place. The leaderboard at Greenbrier is crazy bunched... Today should be fun.

I'm sure there are a lot of players who would like to have 5 shots to do over again over the last few 3 days. Just think if the leaders could have 5 missed opportunities back. That puts tiger in even a better position to win does it not? Just trying to be objective and you will see that I'm not incorrect.

Sure they would. Some probably had as many good opportunities as he did. But the fact remains: he isn't scrambling to get this score. A few more breaks and made putts and he's right there.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

A few more breaks and made putts and he's right there.

Fans (or more likely family since most of these nobodies have fans) of every other player in the field are saying the same thing right now. "If my cousin Bryce Garnett would have just made a few putts and gotten a couple breaks, he'd be right up there."

Fans (or more likely family since most of these nobodies have fans) of every other player in the field are saying the same thing right now.

As I literaly said in the post you quoted, I'm sure that's true. but that doesn't make my post any less true. He missed at least 3 putts user ten feet yesterday, including one under 5 feet. That, to me, speaks to being pretty close to contention.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

One can play the "ifs and buts" game, but" if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas." (Don Meredith)

When Tiger can hit his driver consistently "straightish", then we're talking winning. The rest of the game will come together.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I am somewhat of a Tiger fan, but the reality is that until he can consistently hit the driver, he will never compete for the win.  I most often record the tournament and watch all four days.  Tiger hit some drives on the two opening days that with a little different bounce would have meant that he missed the cut.

I am somewhat of a Tiger fan, but the reality is that until he can consistently hit the driver, he will never compete for the win.  I most often record the tournament and watch all four days.  Tiger hit some drives on the two opening days that with a little different bounce would have meant that he missed the cut.

You picked a weird day (11 of 12 fairways hit so far) to make this point.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

You picked a weird day (11 of 12 fairways hit so far) to make this point.

Yes, still he must hit fairways or nearly hit them for 4 days.

But yes, he had some lipping with the putter today ... ouch!

For the first time all week, Tiger doesn't drive it into the water or snap-hook on 17. PROGRESS!!!!!

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

No doubt he's made progress this week. He's still a far ways off from Spieth and Rory's A-game and I don't think he'll ever reach that height ever again, but if both those guys have an off week in two weeks, Tiger has a chance of possibly contending at St Andrews. But he needs the #1 and #2 to be off their game, IMO.

Tigers big miss was only inches OB, instead of yards, so he definitely getting closer. If he can get those wild misses under control, he's

got his game on the right track. I think he's still got a ways to go........

The course swing had a much quicker tempo, with a severe head droop in two places during the downswing -- I believe the range swing drop was a few inches, while the on course head drop was, they stated, as 7-8 inches, and the drop occurred twice.

I think that's true for most golfers, tempo gets a little quicker on the course. I agree that with Tiger it can change too much, better this week though, hit 15 greens today. Good thing he didn't take the suggestion of some posts in this thread that he should ditch the driver ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Well early weather forecasts call for St Andrews to play wet in two weeks. Not great news for Tiger. I think he needs a faster track there to contend. The wet track plays too much into a guy like Rory's hands. Hel'll demolish that plays if it's wet. Liverpool played wet last year. Rory struggles on the faster tracks.

Over in the UK we don't actually tend to get much of the US coverage - usually Sky go to their own off-course segments. However, this one popped up yesterday - is it just me or is this some of the worst advice ever given?

http://www.pgatour.com/video/2015/07/04/help-me-kostis-with-shaquille-o-neal.html#ooid=9ieGoxdjpS15iGvMfOOCnEC4D9k-oA51

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

I'll tell you what, TW was a couple of bad breaks yesterday, and 6 lip outs today from being at worse in the top 5.

A lot of guys had some bad breaks. If everyone's bad breaks turned into good breaks and everyone's lip outs went in, then Tiger would still be in the same position he's in....the middle of the pack. Just accept the fact he's playing better, but still has a lot of work to do.

Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!