IGNORED

2015 British Open at St. Andrews Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Duval shot 67. Wow.

Lots going low today. Leishman -6 today. -7 overall.

Some low scores out there today. It'll be interesting to see what the leaders can do.

I wonder if Mickelson's ball was dirty, since he hit it in the burn on hole one.

Mickelson hit his tee into the burn apparently. But he bounced back with birdie on 3.

Here are all players at -3 or better for just today (the column labeled today on the right side).

Not a huge fan of watching St Andrews play so easy. I always enjoy the early mornings here on the east coast watching them bundled up in the rain and wind, struggling for pars. This seems like a PGA shootout week right now. Birdies dropping like crazy as ESPN coverage opens up.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say some guy we never/rarely heard of will be near the top of the leaderboard on the weekend.

I don't think it'll be the weekend, but I agree we'll have some (beige paint) names after the opening round. Brian Davis, Scott Brown, and although he did pull off a win, Lingmerth will be up there.

I think we often see lesser names soon because they don't really have the level of pressure the bigger names have. They're probably thinking "just go out there and do your best, enjoy the beauty of the course..." I dunno. I'm pulling for Spieth and I'd like to see Tiger show up.

If I never read that BBC piece, I would not know who Eddie Pepperell (-7 now) is but I'd bet most outside the UK never heard of him.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

13 holes playing under par today. Just #2, 4, 16, 17 are playing over par thus far.

A 174yd par 3 is playing 2.577 average- that's insane. Is there a really easy pin placement or something?  How can a par 3 play 12 bogeys, 13 pars, 1 bogey unless the pin is in a bowl or something?  Still early, I guess.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Whoa. Lots of a guys going low today. Should be fun to watch today.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I think a 62 will go down today. The record is going to be broken. St Andrews without wind is a pitch and putt course. Even Duval shot 67.

Hope it's Spieth. I was thinking he needs to shoot 65 to get back into contention. That would put him at -12. I figure DJ will finish the day at -15. Scott and Day could also go low and be in the teens. May be just too many good players ahead of Spieth for him to win, sure hope he gets close today so that he has a sniff at it tomorrow.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Hope it's Spieth. I was thinking he needs to shoot 65 to get back into contention. That would put him at -12. I figure DJ will finish the day at -15. Scott and Day could also go low and be in the teens.

May be just too many good players ahead of Spieth for him to win, sure hope he gets close today so that he has a sniff at it tomorrow.

I have faith in my pick to win Adam Scott.

I have faith in my pick to win Adam Scott.

You're looking solid right now. I'd give the edge to DJ at the moment but I'd say Scott and Day would be the next best odds, followed by Spieth. Edit: just thought about this post, sure didn't have to go too far out on a limb to project this scenario, lol.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

You're looking solid right now. I'd give the edge to DJ at the moment but I'd say Scott and Day would be the next best odds, followed by Spieth.

I'm kicking myself about Leishman. When I picked my five for this local pool we do, I said I wanted a somewhat random name. I picked Fleetwood. He was the not so sleepy sleeper that every analyst brought it. Instead that pick should have been Leishman it seems.

So what do we think -5 before starting today is still good enough for a chance to win? -4? -7?

A little late, but Oosthuizen's wind blown ball. Woods taken aback.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

So what do we think -5 before starting today is still good enough for a chance to win? -4? -7?

Given that I think the winner will come out of the DJ, Scott, Day, Spieth quartet, guess I'll go with -5.

Sergio using Aimpoint on #1. No negative comments, but they compared the technique to a "plumb bob," and SVP thought that maybe Adam Scott did "something similar."  Thought it was awkward conversation, then Garcia buries the birdie putt.

My Swing

I'd love to see a big gale come over the Old Course this afternoon; that would really jam-pack the leaderboard for the final round.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I'd love to see a big gale come over the Old Course this afternoon; that would really jam-pack the leaderboard for the final round.

That ain't happening. Winds supposed to be back up tomorrow though. Not to the extent of yesterday, but along the lines of Thursday afternoon around the 15-20 range.

I swear there's a "Ghost of 62" out there. Every time someone gets close the golf gods say "No sir". Remember Tiger and Nick Price putts horseshoed the hole to prevent them from getting there and Rory missed a 3 footer at St Andrews.

Note: This thread is 3024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!