IGNORED

2015 British Open at St. Andrews Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Because he doesn't get paid.

If he wins the British Open I'm sure he'll "get paid." It just won't be prize money.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Elite professional golfers play for huge prize funds every week and some golfers become phenomenally wealthy as a result, but what about amateur golfers? On those rare occasions that you play well and win a prize, what can you accept?

What do the new 2012 Rules of Amateur Status say about prizes?

An amateur golfer may accept a symbolic prize of any value (Rule 3-2a).

The first thing to note is that an amateur golfer must not play golf for prize money (Rule 3-1).

An amateur golfer may accept a prize or prize voucher of retail value no greater than £500, or the local currency equivalent (Rule 3-2a).

http://www.randa.org/en/RandA/News/News/2012/January/Amateur-Prizes.aspx

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

If he wins the British Open I'm sure he'll "get paid." It just won't be prize money.

That's true. Even if he doesn't win, I'm sure he'll be getting endorsements soon after he turns pro. [quote name="ChrisP" url="/t/83040/2015-british-open-at-st-andrews-discussion-thread/840_40#post_1171900"]Well if he was smart he'd have placed a bet on himself at Ladbrokes over there. He was 1500-1. Put 50 bucks on yourself and collect a nice big chunk of change.[/quote] I heard that a few of his buddies put a few bucks on him, but I could be mistaking him for another golfer.

Riley

It's not out of the realm of possibility that someone that's around 7 or 8-under can go low and win. The toughest part the leaders are going to have to deal with is the wind is supposed to start blowing strong right as they're going onto the back 9. Well, the wind tomorrow is an Easterly wind, which means the last 7 holes will play right into the teeth of it like it did on Thursday. And if you remember Thursday afternoon with the same wind speed, players had a tough time closing. Supposed to be blowing around 20mph, too, late in the day.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that someone that's around 7 or 8-under can go low and win. The toughest part the leaders are going to have to deal with is the wind is supposed to start blowing strong right as they're going onto the back 9. Well, the wind tomorrow is an Easterly wind, which means the last 7 holes will play right into the teeth of it like it did on Thursday. And if you remember Thursday afternoon with the same wind speed, players had a tough time closing. Supposed to be blowing around 20mph, too, late in the day.

Fowler and Matsuyama have an outside shot, but they need to have a reeeeeally nice round.

Riley

Dunne was was adorned with UnderArmour hat and shirt at the interview.  Did they pay a visit after the first round?

Don't think that can happen just due to the quality of those ahead. Could Spieth falter? Sure. Day, Scott?Maybe. Oosthaizen? Perhaps. All of them? Not a chance.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Yes. And he is turning pro right after the tournament… He's playing in the Canadian Open as a pro, I think.

He's actually turning pro next year. He kept his amateur status so he could play in the Walker Cup. He didn't expect THIS to happen.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Yes. And he is turning pro right after the tournament… He's playing in the Canadian Open as a pro, I think.

[quote name="Vinsk" url="/t/83040/2015-british-open-at-st-andrews-discussion-thread/840_40#post_1171921"] He's actually turning pro next year. He kept his amateur status so he could play in the Walker Cup. He didn't expect THIS to happen.[/quote] Yeah I heard the announcers talking about a player turning pro next week in Canada, but IIRC they were talking about Ollie Schniederjans.

Riley

• Administrator

Yeah I heard the announcers talking about a player turning pro next week in Canada, but IIRC they were talking about Ollie Schniederjans.

Oh yeah. That makes sense. He's made the cut in both Opens this year IIRC.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think I know who CBS and members of Whistling Straits and the PGA champ are rooting for.

I think we're thinking of the same person... ..................................................................... (Are we thinking about Steven Bowditch?)

• Upvote 1

Riley

Anyone notice the 2-man booth Golf Channel is using in St Andrews this week? BC and Nobilo are rotating with Lerner. I wonder if there's a space constraint or if there's some friction between Nobilo and BC. I always sort of got the impression Frank doesn't care much for Brandel.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Anyone notice the 2-man booth Golf Channel is using in St Andrews this week? BC and Nobilo are rotating with Lerner. I wonder if there's a space constraint or if there's some friction between Nobilo and BC. I always sort of got the impression Frank doesn't care much for Brandel.

It would be better with David Duval.

Riley

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

I am conflicted on this one. Some part of me wants to see Spieth go into the final major going for the grand slam. I also would like to see Jason Day win one after his gritty performance at the US Open. I also want to see an amateur win a major.

A ton of great storylines, but I have to say the thought of watching the PGA with a grand slam on the line for Spieth trumps the rest for me.

I like Day, and it would be great to see him win, but it would be a story that eventually fades.

A 22-year old amateur winning doesn't impress me much when a 21-year old kid holds the first two majors and is in line for his third.

A win by Spieth certainly would add excitement to the PGA.  I'd like to see him win it tomorrow, but it wouldn't break my heart to see Jason Day win it either (although I agree that the storyline wouldn't be as intriguing).  He impressed me with his gutsy performance at the U.S. Open.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

I think Spieth gets it done tomorrow, should be an exciting final round.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'm with you up to your last sentence. All kudos to the kid for sure, just don't want another 1-time wonder winning.

What a ruddy condescending statement, have you got a crystal ball predicting Paul Dunne's future.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!