IGNORED

2015 British Open at St. Andrews Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Like to see the Goose and Jason heading the board end Sunday.. trouble is I've a feeling Goosey won't keep it together.. but I'd put a few Euros on Jason being there .. Playoff Jason and Louis.. pronounced OHW-ST-HOW-ZEN :)

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-draws-twitter-joke-aarp

Pretty solid trolling from an organization of old people.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't see what's so hard about that hole. I'm one under par lifetime on it. No kidding.

Were you playing it from the back tees with a 20+ mph wind? ;-)

That scoring average is misleading I would imagine. I think there were a couple of 7s and such that messed up the average. But I also watched everybody in the Phil/Kuchar/Stenson group play into the 2nd fairway on purpose. I would guess that's because they don't want to mess with going over the hotel with the wind. If I remember correctly, they all had 200+ yard approaches.

The pin placement today was also pretty brutal. The road hole bunker was in play, and if you hit it onto the front of the green, it was extremely tough to get it close to the hole. Zach Johnson chipped from on the green because that gave him a better chance at being close to the hole.

-- Daniel

The Road Hole is brutal.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Tiger said in his press conference that just once before he dies he wants to play The Old Course backwards. "Play 1 to 17, 2 to 16."  Is that a thing? It was part of a discussion that he loves the way the course sets up and changes with different conditions. Then he sequed into that statement.

And I'm assuming he meant 1 tee to 17 green. Then 18 tee to 16 green. 17 tee to 15 green. Right?

See this fascinating article on the subject. It's not as simple as it would seem to play the course backward, but it's done once a year.

http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/jeremy-glenn-the-reverse-old-course/

• Upvote 1

[URL=http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-draws-twitter-joke-aarp]http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-draws-twitter-joke-aarp[/URL] Pretty solid trolling from an organization of old people.

Tiger started it in his press conference when he said hey I don't have my AARP card just yet.. So, I'm assuming they are just getting their dig in that's all..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Originally Posted by DeadMan

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

I don't see what's so hard about that hole. I'm one under par lifetime on it. No kidding.

Were you playing it from the back tees with a 20+ mph wind?

Much worse than that. I was me hitting the shots. 1968.

• Upvote 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer View Post

Did anybody see the flap with J.B. Holmes and a kid picking up his ball? What went on?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/07/16/golf-open-gridlock-idUKL4N0ZW4UQ20150716

Quote:

The British Open suffered temporary gridlock on Thursday after a child spectator picked up a ball belonging to American JB Holmes when it landed in a bush.

Holmes, part of the 13th trio to go out at St Andrews, hit his ball into a gorse bush on the 15th and spent more than 10 minutes getting a ruling on "light of sight" relief after the young fan moved it.

The lengthy hold-up meant the group playing behind was eventually allowed to play through while tournament favourite Jordan Spieth's trio had to wait in cool and breezy conditions -- stretching their rounds to the five-hour mark.

"You would think most spectators would know not to pick up balls," Holmes, 33, told reporters.

"He was a kid. I'm sure he was excited and thought he found a ball. I'm not saying I might not have done that too, when I was that age. I'll have to move on and go play out tomorrow."

Bizarre!

Edit: what a dapper outfit for golf. Love it!

Edit 2: And thanks for the link on the reverse Old Course @The Recreational Golfer . Fascinating.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/07/16/golf-open-gridlock-idUKL4N0ZW4UQ20150716

Bizarre!

Edit: what a dapper outfit for golf. Love it!

Edit 2: And thanks for the link on the reverse Old Course @The Recreational Golfer. Fascinating.

And JB Holmes is slow enough as is.

-- Daniel

I woke up at 5:30 today, saw Tiger hit one shot - a 140 yard approach from the fairway to an accessible pin - and end up with a 55 footer for birdie. His divot was about the size of a Nerf football. What's going on???????? He's tied with Tom Watson.

I woke up at about 2 am local time to watch Tiger......saw him start bogey, bogey and then I went back to sleep

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

I woke up at about 2 am local time to watch Tiger......saw him start bogey, bogey and then I went back to sleep

Tiger never fails to surprise me . .just the wrong kind of surprises this year.  I'm still scratching my head at how he goes bust . .comes back to win 5 times and then immediately goes bust again.  As my wife says just about every time we see him on TV "Poor Tigey" (I know, I know).

Not saying he will win, but with the crazy conditions tomorrow, the cut line will be +2 ish. Tiger could easily make the cut line.

I seriously doubt he will make the cut. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him turn his game around but I just don't see it until he plays a lot more tournaments.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Not saying he will win, but with the crazy conditions tomorrow, the cut line will be +2 ish. Tiger could easily make the cut line.

He's not making the cut. If he can't break 76 in calm conditions, he sure as hell ain't doing it in windy ones. He thinks he's close, but he's got a long, long, long ways to go. Today was just tough to watch.

He's not making the cut. If he can't break 76 in calm conditions, he sure as hell ain't doing it in windy ones. He thinks he's close, but he's got a long, long, long ways to go. Today was just tough to watch.

Agreed... The little of him I saw didn't look horrible... At times, he can put a few holes together... He won't make the weekend, but I would like to see him, have a decent round and give himself a chance to make it... I think Tom Watson has a better chance to make the cut, than Tiger... If Tom doesn't make it, I will definitely have tears in my eyes, when he crosses Swilcan Bridge for the final time as a competitor... It will be emotional for a lot of us I'm sure...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Nice! I'm +4 lifetime on it, 2 doubles, haha. Just got done watching, what a great 1st day! Anticipating some carnage tomorrow. Can't wait!

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Note: This thread is 3026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!