IGNORED

Should Golf Dump Donald Trump?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should Golf dump Trump?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe for the time being but not forever

Sure,  that would be a good engraving for his tombstone, but let's see if we have businesses out there that can hang a sign that says 'Donald Trump and his Views on Mexicans Welcome' and see how they do - which is exactly what associating with him would do - NOW, TODAY, not in 20-30 years from now when it all said and done. The current context matters. Greatly. Bad move. A-1 post.

Polarizing means just that....there are both those that agree with him and those that do not. That you or I find his remarks intolerable or intemperate doesn't negate that there are those who don't. The free market is a wonderful thing, and The Donald will see whether his remarks hurt him in the long run. Back to my original point though, I didn't vote, simply because I don't believe that there's any way for "golf" to fire him if he chooses to continue to participate. A lost tournament is nothing but a small annoyance to him. Maybe not even that...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't believe that there's any way for "golf" to fire him if he chooses to continue to participate. A lost tournament is nothing but a small annoyance to him. Maybe not even that...

I agree completely, golf is made up of many organizations and millions of individuals, and he can choose to be part of golf in many ways.  Some of the individual organizations certainly can disassociate themselves from him, and in my view that would be appropriate, to avoid the impression that they agree with him.

I do think losing tournaments will be more than a minor annoyance to him.  I believe he takes great pleasure in the stage it allows him every year at Doral.  I know he worked for a long time to get the '17 Senior PGA at the local Trump National, and is having most of the tournament course rebuilt completely in preparation.  I don't think it will cause significant financial pain to him, but it would be a kick to the ego if he loses it.  A kick to Trump's ego is like a giraffe with a sore throat.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

The Donald will tell you,

"I am BIGGER than golf!"

I await the formation of the DTGA.

He needs to go back on his meds, and if he doesn't have any, then bring in the guys with the strait jackets as the Donald sings...

They're coming to take me away Ha Ha

They're coming to take me away ho ho he he ha ha

to Trump National where life is beautiful all the time, and

I'll be happy to see those nice young caddies in their clean white knickers

reading manicured bent grass greens for my pure putting pleasure

You thought I was a joke and so you laughed, you laughed when I had said the poor should maintain my

greens, not play them ... not even the middle class can afford my green fees. You know you laughed, I heard you

laugh, You laughed, you laughed and laughed and then you left,

But now you know I'm utterly mad.

They're coming to take me away!

:-) Someone is enjoying himself.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Polarizing means just that....there are both those that agree with him and those that do not. That you or I find his remarks intolerable or intemperate doesn't negate that there are those who don't.

The free market is a wonderful thing, and The Donald will see whether his remarks hurt him in the long run. Back to my original point though, I didn't vote, simply because I don't believe that there's any way for "golf" to fire him if he chooses to continue to participate. A lost tournament is nothing but a small annoyance to him. Maybe not even that...

I think it's a safe bet to assume that when @mvmac wrote "golf" he meant "the PGA Tour", or "professional golf."

If he asked you whether or not "basketball" should dump Donald Sterling, would you abstain from voting simply because Donald has a hoop in his backyard or could still sponsor a little league team?

I think it's a safe bet to assume that when @mvmac wrote "golf" he meant "the PGA Tour", or "professional golf." If he asked you whether or not "basketball" should dump with Donald Sterling, would you abstain from voting simply because Donald has a hoop in his backyard or could still sponsor a little league team?

Hmmmmm.. Maybe! But that's not how I read the question.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Self-aggrandizing hypocritical buffoon with little or no respect for anybody or anything if it doesn't somehow benefit him and his brand.  Most golf organizations wish to grow the game. Trump just wants to benefit and every golf course associated with him is out the price range of the vast majority of golfers. The golf business is lessened by any association with him.

I played and stayed at Doonbeg in Ireland last fall and I am sorry that I did. It was convenient to the other tracks we played (Tralee, Ballybunion and Lahinch) and it was a very nice place, a nice golf course but ridiculously expensive and marred by the over-the-top Trump branding. He didn't build it, he bought it and I hope he doesn't ruin it because it is a very nice links track.

Bill M

As one can tell from my earlier post, I can not take Donald Trump seriously. But it is a mistake not to respect an opponent, even one as narcissistic as the Donald.

Dropping the Donald from golf?

Golf is bigger than Donald but it is tough for Tim Finchem to turn down millions of sponsorship money with Trump.

The problem is that Trump opens his mouth without much in the realm of facts, and speaking out of your butt is attractive to about 12% of the right wing. Is the Donald completely off base? Probably not completely - he makes decent points that are lost in his hateful rhetoric.

Now if Finchem, a great businessman, can sit down Trump, and educate him, and he can humble the Donald, then he is Saint Tim.

The Donald needs to stop doubling down on his statements. As Dr. Phil might say, he needs to get real.

If not, then the PGA Tour needs to make a decision - He's fired.

But what about Doral?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Trump is an idiot at times but he did nothing and said nothing wrong here. He was speaking of illegal immigrants which in turn instantly makes them criminals. He never said a single negative thing about legal immigrants and from what I know never called anyone a racist name. Actions speak louder than words and as long as someone's opinion is just that and isn't acted on, I don't think they should be punished.
In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Trump is an idiot at times but he did nothing and said nothing wrong here. He was speaking of illegal immigrants which in turn instantly makes them criminals. He never said a single negative thing about legal immigrants and from what I know never called anyone a racist name. Actions speak louder than words and as long as someone's opinion is just that and isn't acted on, I don't think they should be punished.

How about the fact that after "illegal immigrants" almost everything else that comes out of his mouth is designed to billow smoke from the ears of extreme right wingers and make their heads explode?

Not a bad idea, Donald...

In other words, we all need boots when the Donald begins speaking (the bs is deep).

:-$

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Yes.  He's such an annoying egomaniac clown and shitass person that I hope he gets a horrible disease and dies painfully within months.

*hot take*

"Witty golf quote."

This isn't smart on many levels.  You sound like Ted Cruz (who is not smart on many levels).

Trump distinctly called Mexicans rapists, and added a caveat that some of them 'may be good people.'  It takes a certain amount of cognitive dissonance to somehow warp his words into a benign criticism of illegal immigration.

• Upvote 2

"Witty golf quote."

If Oprah was still on the air The Donald could appear on her show and confess he was wrong, cry and apologize. That would make me laugh and keel over. Maybe Saturday Night Live will do a skit on it.

I thought the PGA said that they and Trump sat down in a meeting, and they BOTH agreed that it would not be financially beneficial for all party's to move forward with they way things are.

NOT the PGA is DUMPING trump.

I thought the PGA said that they and Trump sat down in a meeting, and they BOTH agreed that it would not be financially beneficial for all party's to move forward with they way things are. NOT the PGA is DUMPING trump.

And you don't find that hard to believe?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

No but I don't see why people keep saying "The PGA/Professional Golf/Golf had dumped Donald Trump." It was an agreement between two party's not to host the tournament there. The PGA said that they don't agree with his views but would still work with him. (I'm looking for that article now)

Hard to believe.

Sounds like a typical face saving measure for Trump, and it gives him time to rehab that course (he says).

While I have concerns about the security of our borders, DT's comments were so far over the top to be laughable. Trump's side show isn't particularly helpful to anyone and it would be nice if he just goes back to reality TV where he belongs.

That said, I'm not entirely sure the PGA really needed to move the tournament from Trump National. The story didn't actually say if it was the PGA that pushed the issue. Supposing it was, it sounds like the PGA was trying to make a political statement. Would anyone have really thought to complain if the tournament had simply went on as scheduled?

While I have concerns about the security of our borders, DT's comments were so far over the top to be laughable. Trump's side show isn't particularly helpful to anyone and it would be nice if he just goes back to reality TV where he belongs.

That said, I'm not entirely sure the PGA really needed to move the tournament from Trump National. The story didn't actually say if it was the PGA that pushed the issue. Supposing it was, it sounds like the PGA was trying to make a political statement. Would anyone have really thought to complain if the tournament had simply went on as scheduled?

Oh, you can be almost certain there would be some backlash if they still held the tournament there. Protests, petitions, etc..

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Note: This thread is 3149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!