IGNORED

Should Golf Dump Donald Trump?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3155 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should Golf dump Trump?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe for the time being but not forever

In my opinion, I believe Mr.Trump is simply expressing what he believes is a major issue that needs to be addressed.  Most politicians will side with being politically correct and it has really created a mess.  Hence, I take what Mr. Trump says rather refreshing and am able to agree with the essence of what he is saying and work around it.  Some folks simply fall into the realm of being too off centered and we need someone like Mr. Trump to bring us back to center.

Regarding, dumping Donald Trump from Golf...should it be a question of Donald Trump dumping Golf.  I don't think he will as he respects the game of Golf a lot more than those who are in a position to criticize his opinions.

Personally, I've been in situations where I have had to negotiate deals with those who might be considered tough negotiators.  Unless you can fully understand the nuances of "good" negotiations; you may not like the person or the situation you are dealing with however, you should be able to work thru a deal or simply walk away... yes you can walk away from a bad deal ...fully aware that your walk away point is acceptable.

I have found that as long as I was able to deal with those who were logical and rational, we usually ended with a deal that was mutually beneficial...a "win/win".  Sadly there are times when you may deal with those who dig in and not open their minds to listen to logic and become too irrational (intentional or unintentional) and you need to walk away.

Unfortunately those who are in a position of power and influence may simply be good politicians and not good negotiators / leaders...sad.

My Vote: No.

In my opinion, I believe Mr.Trump is simply expressing what he believes is a major issue that needs to be addressed.  Most politicians will side with being politically correct and it has really created a mess.  Hence, I take what Mr. Trump says rather refreshing and am able to agree with the essence of what he is saying and work around it.  Some folks simply fall into the realm of being too off centered and we need someone like Mr. Trump to bring us back to center.

In my view, Mr. Trump has taken a very valid concern (illegal immigration) and exaggerated the problem by labeling a significant portion of our population (Mexican immigrants, and by logical extension, all Hispanic immigrants) as rapists, drug dealers, and probably a few good people.  This strikes me as scare tactics, and does very little to develop workable solutions to the problem.  However, for most politicians (no matter what party), solving problems seems to be secondary to winning the next election, and polarizing the electorate plays into that purpose.

The PGA is certainly within its right to choose not to associate with Mr. Trump, whether its a principled stand against what he said, or a more pragmatic concern over fallout they might get from continued association with him.  So far, it seems a short-term concern, or else they'd have changed the Doral tournament, and would be actively looking into new sites for other PGA events scheduled at Trump-owned courses.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I understand your position.

It is too bad that with all the noise level of media has made it such that we have to sometimes use over the top rhetoric that may rub some folks the wrong way.  We all need to filter thru and understand the essence of the message (intended vs. superficial).  Overall we need to deal with a problem and develop a plan which can be implemented and managed properly versys digging in on a position on the extreme end of the spectrum and getting no where.

My apologies if I went down this path of discussion on this forum and should have just cast my vote.  Again, it is NO.

• Upvote 1

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/7/13/trump-to-lpga-youre-free-to-find-another-british-open-venue.html

In a letter to LPGA Commissioner Mike Whan, Trump offers to let the LPGA out of its contract at Trump Turnberry for the upcoming Women's British Open even though it's the Ladies Golf Union that controls the event. They even issued a recent statement on Trump, but the iconic developer's beef is with the LPGA Tour.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/7/13/trump-to-lpga-youre-free-to-find-another-british-open-venue.html

Quote:

In a letter to LPGA Commissioner Mike Whan, Trump offers to let the LPGA out of its contract at Trump Turnberry for the upcoming Women's British Open even though it's the Ladies Golf Union that controls the event. They even issued a recent statement on Trump, but the iconic developer's beef is with the LPGA Tour.

Swing and a miss!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I love the "mess with the bull, get the horn" attitude ... refreshing

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Quote:

.... almost reads like a taunting letter, a dare, etc..    DT's business interest in golf is good for golf industry.   But golf will survive without his business.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Really impressive that Trump is so good that he takes up two spots in the polls!!

• Administrator

Love him or hate him, he walks the walk.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hmmm...aside from what I have read, I believe that Mr. Whan should have had the common courtesy to notify Mr. Trump of his intentions prior to the press release of change of venue.  In my humble opinion, that may have provided a more palatable situation to opt out.  At least, the LPGA (Mr. Whan) is being release from a binding contract that may have had a clause for liquidated damages.

I believe Mr. Whan had already addressed his intentions with the Ladies Golf Union?

Love him or hate him, he walks the walk.

Agree. I've always thought Trump was an ass and still do, actually. But I'm gaining a new respect for him as he stands up to and even pushes back on a frenzied left wing media trying to destroy him. This has proven a successful tactic for them in the past because the cowardly Republicans and other associated corporate entities invariably back down and in so doing, come off looking weak, spineless, and untrustworthy. This truly is refreshing. I think we finally have 2 people who aren't trying to hide their true beliefs or intentions running for office. Here's to a Trump - Sanders race.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I can't wait to see what the LPGA does. I think Donald just played his Trump card and it is their turn.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I can't wait to see what the LPGA does. I think Donald just played his Trump card and it is their turn.

It's too late to change the venue and I think DT knew that.

Golf needs people like DT and his business.   It's just pragmatic thing to do.   Sports and political views should not mix IMO.   Unfortunately, DT pissed off a large portion of US population (Hispanics, and others offended by his comments).   Golf industry must weigh the benefit of dumping DT vs not dumping (and face the consequences, if any).   That's why I vote no but not forever.   Once the controversy subside, cooler heads will prevail.   Although, DT appears to be a hot head about 95% of the time :whistle: .

Also, people forget that DT is catering to a small percentage of Americans, polling result aside.   The more he pisses off the majority, it will end up hurting his business in the long run.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

So that I have this straight, DT sent the wrong administration that letter. Really poor. You could hear his voice as you read it.

Way off topic, but, the deal with El Chapo is kind of striking. Considering Guzman's status as the most wanted man in the world, do you think he might actually consider whacking Trump? If it were nearly anyone else, the idea would seem stupid. That guy has the resources to do it and zero reason to care about the repercussions.

Here is the text of Trump's comments:

Quote:
When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have lots of problems. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.

What about that statement is crazy or untrue?

If this offends you then you are part of the problem.  You are part of this ultra sensitive generation that screams and yells for over-reaching, intrusive laws if they don't like something.

He may be egotistical, polarizing and blunt,  but I would say he is far from an idiot as some have accused him of.  He has built a real estate empire and multi-billion dollar business...an idiot isn't going to be that successful.  I would much rather have someone with his experience.  Someone who has understands that an oppressive and intrusive government is not good in order to make this country great again.  I'd much rather have him then any career politician who has never built or ran anything.

• Upvote 1

I only read the first page and everyone was calling DT names like a loon, idiot, loose nut.  It just goes to show what kind of morons we have voting out there. This guy has major degrees and if you look at his family, he has done an amazing job raising these great human beings. Should golf kick DT out?  If they do they are as stupid as the clowns on the first page. It looks like they will but they are only shooting themselves in the foot. DT is telling the truth but the left or the right can't handle that. I'm amazed at how many people will attack this guy and say what an idiot he is. If he's an idiot, I want to be an idiot too. I'd say he has the best chance to win of all the republicans running.  I think most people are tired of politicians and Trump ain't no politician.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

It's only a huge difference if you think that the fact that they're illegal immigrants gives Trump the right to call them all rapists and murderers.

I don't.

They are not all rapists and / or murderers but they are criminals if they are living in this country illegally.  As for other crimes, I tried to do some research and aside from really right wing sources (which I don't trust) I couldn't find any crime statistics.  What I did find is that currently 60% of the FBI's most wanted in CA are considered illegal aliens.

I am not a Trump apologist, but after reading about the Fast and The Furious (not the car movie) and what occurs within these people smuggling operations, there are a lot of unsavory people (gang members, drug cartel) that are involved in this activity whose crimes do include, rape and murder.

That issue aside, it's a two prong problem, if we really want to stop illegal immigration we have to stop giving these people a reason to enter this country which means ALL businesses that hire illegal immigrants for labor should be fined heavily and their owners or board of directors placed in jail.  I want to see our government go after these businesses and I'm pretty sure we'll see the numbers crossing the borders slow down.

We really should get back on topic. OT response below.

Absolutely agree.  It is like buying stolen goods. They are an accessory to criminal activity.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

We really should get back on topic. OT response below.

Absolutely agree.  It is like buying stolen goods. They are an accessory to criminal activity.

Agree on both points.  Has Whan responded to Trump's open letter yet?

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3155 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!