IGNORED

Which One of These Foods Would You Give Up For Life.....

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

26 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to, which one of these foods would you give up for life?

• Pizza
    • Burgers
    • Tacos
    • Chicken Wings

I could never give up pizza. The Italian ones that is, American pizza's suck (sorry guys).

I would go for giving up taco's in this case, easy choice.

I respectfully disagree. I've had pizza in Italy and pizza all over the US. While the worst of US pizza is pretty bad, the best of it, American pizzas are just as good. Sure, there's differences in style and taste, but the idea that "real" Italian pizza is so much better than that in the US, imho, not the case.

Italy has more variety of toppings but the US is a big place. We have so many different styles - Chicago deep dish, California thin crust and within a 30 mile radius of NY, there are so many varieties, I can't even begin. If you're comparing best to best, it is nowhere near a lopsided contest.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent

I could never give up pizza. The Italian ones that is, American pizza's suck (sorry guys).

I would go for giving up taco's in this case, easy choice.

I respectfully disagree. I've had pizza in Italy and pizza all over the US. While the worst of US pizza is pretty bad, the best of it, American pizzas are just as good. Sure, there's differences in style and taste, but the idea that "real" Italian pizza is so much better than that in the US, imho, not the case.

Italy has more variety of toppings but the US is a big place. We have so many different styles - Chicago deep dish, California thin crust and within a 30 mile radius of NY, there are so many varieties, I can't even begin. If you're comparing best to best, it is nowhere near a lopsided contest.

I agree. Besides, we actually have real Italians here who make pizza the same as they did in Italy. Go figure!

People assume there is one style of pizza in the US and its from the big chains. That's BS. In my town alone we have 5 to 6 styles of pizza, Greek style, Neapolitan thin crust, Sicilian deep dish, etc. I almost always go to the local Mom and Pop joints. They make the best pizza from scratch.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I agree. Besides, we actually have real Italians here who make pizza the same as they did in Italy. Go figure!

People assume there is one style of pizza in the US and its from the big chains. That's BS. In my town alone we have 5 to 6 styles of pizza, Greek style, Neapolitan thin crust, Sicilian deep dish, etc. I almost always go to the local Mom and Pop joints. They make the best pizza from scratch.

Definitely, and which one is best is entirely subjective.  For pizza, I've had the classic Neopolitan style in Naples and it was great.  But then, so is Chicago deep dish style, or New York style, or the Midwest tavern style thin crust, or any of the others.  It's all great.  Some days I want one type, some days another.

I do think it's important to respect the original classic recipe, but that's no reason to ignore the variations.  Although, sometimes I do think we here in the US tend to go overboard with our "let's see how much we can put on it" mentality. :bugout: But, then again, sometimes that's good too!

Ofcourse, I was only partly serious ;-) USA is maybe as big as the entire European continent, so ofcourse a lot of different styles and kinds of pizzas. The Italian style pizza is for me the best I ever had; obviously such a pizza you can also make when you have the right ingredients while you are in Holland, USA or Timboektoe. That being said, I truly had the best pizza's and pasta's while actually being in Italy, even though we have good (Italian) restaurants in Holland as well and I visited good restaurants in New York and San Francisco also. Just as the best paella I ever had was in a nice little restaurant in Barcelona...

~Jorrit

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Ofcourse, I was only partly serious ;-) USA is maybe as big as the entire European continent, so ofcourse a lot of different styles and kinds of pizzas. The Italian style pizza is for me the best I ever had; obviously such a pizza you can also make when you have the right ingredients while you are in Holland, USA or Timboektoe. That being said, I truly had the best pizza's and pasta's while actually being in Italy, even though we have good (Italian) restaurants in Holland as well and I visited good restaurants in New York and San Francisco also. Just as the best paella I ever had was in a nice little restaurant in Barcelona...

You are lucky. Italy is only a short distance away!!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

You are lucky. Italy is only a short distance away!!

Very lucky, even though for Euro standards is still a long drive ;-)

End of next month on vacation to Greece: allready looking forward to the real Gyros, Souvlaki and Bifteki!

But all kidding aside, I ám serious about the food. Maybe it's because of a small difference in ingredients or styles, maybe it's my own mindset: but so far my best experience in food are while being in that particular country. Btw I can advice the Belgian cuisine as well; they know how to cook!

~Jorrit

You can't make the same pizza at home as some of the restaurants because some of what makes it good pizza is the oven. Unless you have a top notch kitchen in your house. And it's not easy replicating the dough made at restaurants at home.

Imho, I think if you're talking about pizza in some random part of Italy, versus some random part of the US, Italy will have an edge.

I'm not disagreeing that the best Italian food is found in Italy, French food in France, of course that's the case. I was disagreeing with the *sucks* moniker, I didn't realize you were kidding.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Pizza, burgers and taco is somewhat different from chicken wings in that you can vary the dish more. Pizzas especially can be made with all kinds of sauce and toppings. Burgers and taco can also have lots of different ingredients. Wings can of course be prepared differently, but they don't have the same potential for variety as the other three.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I'm not disagreeing that the best Italian food is found in Italy, French food in France, of course that's the case. I was disagreeing with the *sucks* moniker, I didn't realize you were kidding.

Yeah, my apologies. That was a bit harsh and generalistic. FWIW I had some really good food in USA as well :-)

~Jorrit

Very lucky, even though for Euro standards is still a long drive ;-)

End of next month on vacation to Greece: allready looking forward to the real Gyros, Souvlaki and Bifteki!

But all kidding aside, I ám serious about the food. Maybe it's because of a small difference in ingredients or styles, maybe it's my own mindset: but so far my best experience in food are while being in that particular country. Btw I can advice the Belgian cuisine as well; they know how to cook!

I will say that when I was in Italy, I had the best salad I have ever eaten, and it was just greens with some oil and vinegar.  I figure it had to be the freshness of the ingredients.

And, to keep it on track, the pizza in Naples was really good too!

Oddly enough, the lasagna, was just okay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Yeah, my apologies. That was a bit harsh and generalistic. FWIW I had some really good food in USA as well

It's all good. Just wanted to put in a word for those who made the countless amazing pizza pies I've had here.

We do have some good food in the US, no argument here. :beer:

Steve

Wings are the goners in that group.  Not that I don't like them, but I don't eat 'em that often and could easily live without them.  I love tacos, burgers and pizza, a future without any of them would be a world I wouldn't want to live on. :-) If I had to rank them 1 through 4, tacos and burgers would be in a fight to the death for the #1 and #2 spots with pizza close behind and wings a distant 4th.

Hard shell shredded beef tacos from the TO's Mexican joints (AlberTO's, RuperTO's, HumberTO's, RoberTO's, etc.) are my favorites, but I also love "street tacos" on the little soft corn tortillas - lengua, cabeza, tripas, carne asada, yum!  Even so, every so often I get the undeniable craving for the "imitation tacos" from Del Taco or Taco Bell - mass-produced, pre-formed taco shells, ground beef, lettuce, tomato and cheese.  And let's not forget Jack In The Box's "2 for 99 cent" tacos - the ultimate imitation Mexican junk food!

[ETA:] Just posed the question to my wife and she said tacos.  I told her she was out of her mind and she replied "I could make a thin crust taco pizza - then I wouldn't really have had to give up anything!".  While I can't agree 100%, I do like her line of thinking, lol.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Chicken wings... and I don't even have to think twice.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Here's the question. Of the four choices, which one is the best even when it's a bad example of that dish? What's best - a bad pizza, a bad taco, a bad burger, or bad wings?

Colin P.

It's the wings, with skin.

Pizza - I can do no cheese and replace that with spinach, reduce the salt on the sauce

Tacos - soft chicken free range organic

Burgers - buffalo once in a while.

No cheese? No sex..... Its a good thing you can golf because would be on suicide watch...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Here's the question. Of the four choices, which one is the best even when it's a bad example of that dish? What's best - a bad pizza, a bad taco, a bad burger, or bad wings?

A bad pizza because you can just dip the shit outta it in ranch.

Riley

None. Bad is bad.

~Jorrit

Note: This thread is 3059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!