iacas

Playing Golf Without a (Swing) Thought

125 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you play a competitive round of golf WITHOUT a swing thought or a focal point? Please read first post before answering.

• Never - I always have something in mind
    • Rarely
    • Often
    • Always - I just hit the ball and don't think about anything like that

222 posts / 39233 viewsLast Reply

For now it's just hammer the nail on driver/wood/long irons. No swing thoughts on short irons/pitch/chip/putt. Once the hammer the nail thing is ingrained in my memory (probably sometime next season), I hope to have no swing thoughts at all.

Off topic, but I follow the same approach in billiards and pocket billiards. A lot less moving parts, but I never think about any part of the stroke. I think about the shot I want to execute and do it. People that watch me play these games (golf included)don't understand how a can be so fast without losing accuracy, but it's just my tempo.

I am a far better pool player than golfer but I'm just getting back into golf and the hammer the nail thing has improved my game loads and I don't feel like there is much other help that will do that good of a job.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

On 8/15/2019 at 10:41 PM, Vinsk said:

Maybe you don’t entirely understand what that means? It doesn’t mean we are without feel. It means what we feel we are doing is often not what’s actually happening. Like @iacas said in a post...’ keep your [ trail ] arm straight.’ It’s a feel many can have but obviously our trail arm doesn’t remain straight. Some feels can be shared to produce the same goal.

HUH? I've been playing this frigging game for 50+ years! Don't even try to tell me that I don't know what "feel ain't real" means! Back in the day I shot par and sub par golf, so I know what "feels" are! 

And I understand the "concept" of keep your trail arm straight. I tried that for a while, and it did not work for me! I understand that it tries to increase the radius of my swing, But I made inconsistent contact with the ball, and really had no idea where it was going. 

I grew up, and was instructed, in the "keep your right elbow close to your side", "tuck a knotted towel under your right armpit, and don't let it fall out in your backswing" era! That is how I learned to play golf. 

The second to last time we played, I tried a practice swing on the tee like that, and it felt pretty good! I striped my drive right down the middle. The last time we played, I employed the same swing, and shot a 78! The first time I've broken 80 in a while! My swing felt so much more "connected" and together, 

I started hitting the ball dead in the center of the clubface, right on line, and for good distance. I guess what I'm saying here is that old dogs find it hard to learn new tricks! 

25 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

HUH? I've been playing this frigging game for 50+ years! Don't even try to tell me that I don't know what "feel ain't real" means! Back in the day I shot par and sub par golf, so I know what "feels" are! 

And I understand the "concept" of keep your trail arm straight. I tried that for a while, and it did not work for me! I understand that it tries to increase the radius of my swing, But I made inconsistent contact with the ball, and really had no idea where it was going. 

I grew up, and was instructed, in the "keep your right elbow close to your side", "tuck a knotted towel under your right armpit, and don't let it fall out in your backswing" era! That is how I learned to play golf. 

The second to last time we played, I tried a practice swing on the tee like that, and it felt pretty good! I striped my drive right down the middle. The last time we played, I employed the same swing, and shot a 78! The first time I've broken 80 in a while! My swing felt so much more "connected" and together, 

I started hitting the ball dead in the center of the clubface, right on line, and for good distance. I guess what I'm saying here is that old dogs find it hard to learn new tricks! 

Your use of the phrase in reference to my post did not correlate with you understanding what it means. And I don’t care how long you’ve been playing. Your stating of ‘feel ain’t real’ didn’t make sense in reference to my post. 

On 9/3/2019 at 12:03 PM, Bonvivant said:

I hope to have no swing thoughts at all.

I like that non-thought.  I tried it for awhile.  I had 6 or 7 thoughts on doing the setup.  But when it came time to swing I allowed my athleticism take over.  Zero thoughts during the swing.  Didn't work.  Went back to having one in-swing thought.  Mr. Bonvivant, let me know how it goes for you.  I've always said golf should be like shooting a 3-pointer.  You don't think about elbow placement, or angles, or hand placement on the ball, or follow through... you just do it by instinct and swish it.  But I'm beginning to think golf is not like that.

So, playing without a swing thought. 

Lately, I have had some decent results with hitting the ball as soon as possible after addressing it.   I see so many of my playing partners standing over their ball, thinking, thinking, thinking, and inevitably, they longer they stand over the ball, the worse they hit it.  

But in response to the original post, I suppose I do have those types of swing thoughts.  I do stand behind the ball to make sure of my alignment, pick out a spot on the grass about 5 or 10 feet in front of me to line up on, and I try to relax, and remind myself to accelerate past the ball, to fight my tendency to decelerate at the bottom of the down swing.  Those type of thoughts.  Just not during my swing.   

Edited by Marty2019