IGNORED

Playing Golf Without a (Swing) Thought

iacas

138 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you play a competitive round of golf WITHOUT a swing thought or a focal point? Please read first post before answering.

• Never - I always have something in mind
    • Rarely
    • Often
    • Always - I just hit the ball and don't think about anything like that

Some people do not seem to be getting the point of this thread-It is this- [LIST] [*] If you have more than one swing thought you have too many. [*] If you have fewer than one swing thought you have too few. [*] Swing thoughts can be different for different types of shots-Chips, full swing, etc. [/LIST] -Is that about right @iacas ?

Absolutely correct. If I am swinging really well then my swing thought comes down to something about how I need to stay calm and take my time since I can rush and get quick. The above I disagree with 0%.

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok guys I have a scenario for you, and it actually happens to me every time I golf.  I start off the first hole trying to play a fade the entire round.  Proceed to hit a straight pull with driver then straight pull with 3 wood then pull 52 degree.

Should I try to maintain my initial "fade" swing thoughts or begin to modify my swing thoughts to "fix" the pull and make sure it fades OR just try to play the pull from then on with no thoughts at all?

That remains my biggest problem!  i'm not consistent enough to even have the same swing thought from one swing to another!

• Administrator
Should I try to maintain my initial "fade" swing thoughts or begin to modify my swing thoughts to "fix" the pull and make sure it fades OR just try to play the pull from then on with no thoughts at all?

The problem is actually that you have swing thought S.

Pulls are fades… with the face too far left-pointing. Aim the face less far left. That doesn't require a swing thought.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Agreed on the pull, but, what if I AM actually aiming the face right.  That's where the problem comes in!  I hit fades all day on the range same swing thought then get on the course and the fade turns into a pull or even a pull hook!  Conversely, the fade starts out as a fade then slowly turns into a slice!  Then I have to start thinking about it not slicing.  It just gets frustrating.

That said, I'm still playing the best golf I've ever played and broken into the 70s three times this year which before this year I had never had a 79 ever!  In my game though the swing thought tends to change over the round which I know is bad but am having a hard time correcting....

• Administrator
Agreed on the pull, but, what if I AM actually aiming the face right.

Not if you're hitting a pull.

Get a better swing. The answer to your problems is not in managing your swing thought( s ).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

For me, lately it's just been thinking about half length backswing. And that's it.

Great results for the most part.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Agreed on the pull, but, what if I AM actually aiming the face right.  That's where the problem comes in!

If you're actually aiming right, something in your swing is causing you to "flip it" left.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

If you're actually aiming right, something in your swing is causing you to "flip it" left.

I agree.  I spend most of the round trying to figure out what I'm doing that's causing it.  Try to feel weight on front foot and holding off the top hand from coming over etc...

Sad part about it is that I get on the range and feel great ball flight is great etc.  Get on first tee and the feeling is gone....  Then I'm in fix it mode.

So, I'm the only one whose swing thought changes through out the round based on how I'm missing?

So, I'm the only one whose swing thought changes through out the round based on how I'm missing?

Hardly.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I play my best golf with an anchor feel. I have two now - 1. steady head, 2. soft. 'Steady head' anchors my overall proprioception (other than it being a requisite key) and 'soft' moderates my tempo.

My biggest issue is when my grip issue affects the above thoughts. Because of the way I grip the club, it usually takes me up to 10 - 15 seconds to 'find' it. Sometimes I can get a little flustered if it takes too long and then wing it without being fully prepared and without my anchor feels.

I think I am incapable of standing over a ball without a thought. Incidentally I have never had more than two.

Vishal S.

In my last range session i didnt think of anything along the line of swing mechanics, instead i imagined the shot i wanted to hit and the "feel". I then just made my swing and got good results. Everyone is different, if i think too much about how i want my left are to move or what my knees need to do etc.  i often freeze and mess the shot.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I voted "never", as I always have something on my mind when I start my back swing. 99% of the time it's the term "dollar bills" which I borrowed from the movie "Tin Cup" . That term keeps my timing/rhythm through out my swing where I need it. The other 1% would be either thinking about my one piece take away, or face angle, and club head  path. It depends on my last shot, and how it went.  My one piece take away gets most of that 1%. That's it for me.  Any other swing thoughts, I would save for the practice range.

Alignment, grip, target stuff, and a practice swing or two I do think about, but that is all part of my pre-shot routine. Just not enough time for me to think about much during my actual swing, so I keep my swing thoughts very minimal.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I agree.  I spend most of the round trying to figure out what I'm doing that's causing it.  Try to feel weight on front foot and holding off the top hand from coming over etc...

Sad part about it is that I get on the range and feel great ball flight is great etc.  Get on first tee and the feeling is gone....  Then I'm in fix it mode.

Just because you hit a bad shot doesn't mean you have to go to "fix it" mode. Constantly changing the swing thought isn't going to help you.

Also in terms of "figuring it out", the problem doesn't change from shot to shot, round to round, your swing faults are your swing faults. So if you know what your issue is, stick with the thought/feel that will help fix it.

Little OT but there are times on the course when I'm just not feeling it or struggling with my ballstriking. Then I go to my "B" swing, basically a 3/4 swing to make sure I hit it somewhat solid and keep the ball in front of me. This might happen mid-round or towards the end of the round.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

In a pinch, I get it down to two thoughts.

left arm tight to chest, left leg in, not out ... just two of many issues. But if I get those, I can sequence the downswing.

It's a journey...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

At my best I will have a thought or two. At my worst it is all encompassing and I can barely pick up a golf club properly which permeates into shot selection of course. I am not a mechanical player but a feel player for sure.

The "mental" side of the game is what I struggle with most.

Driver: TM TP460
3W: TM Burner Superfast

5W: TM Burner Superfast
4-9: TM MC
48: CG14
52: Nike VR

56: CG16

Putter: Ping Gnome