IGNORED

Rushing Because of Faster Players Behind

CR McDivot
Note: This thread is 3161 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Off topic again, but how is that golfer going to stick the green while carrying the water using what looks like a FW?

Good question. He was @ 178 I think was the number I gave him. He said what the heck, see his impatient look? Hope the guys on green aren't looking. Part of the slow play issue where he wound up with basically a bad lay up and subsequent more difficult shot. Relevant to speed of game anyway - Decision making.

That's a really clever way to get around the issue, I was actually guessing the distance at 180-ish. It would be a 90% perfect 5i strike for me to make that shot. I didn't see the approach from the left, assumed it was woods. Nice playing strategy, once again I underestimated a senior golfer. :beer:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Honestly, if you are walking, and a cart pulls up behind you, you should let them play through.

What if the opposite happens? Two weeks ago, my league group of four walkers was held up by three guys in carts for almost the whole round. They were slow, mostly from the 27 practice swings for each shot.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

What if the opposite happens? Two weeks ago, my league group of four walkers was held up by three guys in carts for almost the whole round. They were slow, mostly from the 27 practice swings for each shot.

Inefficient cart riders can sometimes be slower than walkers. Drives me nuts! And yep, they sure as hell should've let you through!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

That was what I was thinking. I know that I, as someone who walks rather than rides, will usually end up waiting on the people in my groups who have carts.

I have a better universal rule people can follow that's pretty easy to do:

- If the group behind you is going faster than you and the course isn't jammed, let them through.

- If the group behind you is going faster than you and the course isn't jammed, let them through.

Could I add a corollary?

If you're the faster group, its your job to wait patiently for at least a few minutes before you start getting pissed off.  Further, its your responsibility to understand and accept that there may not be room on the course for you to play through.

Nobody has the blanket right to play at whatever pace they prefer, no matter whether its fast or slow.  Every one of owes the rest of the golfers some degree of civility.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

A couple of things just strike me as crazy in this thread....What's wrong with taking practice swings while people are putting? If I'm 100+yards away from the green....frankly, it's none of their damn business what I'm doing and they should concentrate on THEIR game.

And as I said earlier, my only problem with fast players is when they disrepect the course.

Pro players take practice swings for a reason....and I do too. I recently played a round in a lot of pain and chose to forgo the practice swings (just hurt too much) and my game suffered.

Now if someone takes a half dozen practice swings and then can't even make good contact....he is confusing the golf course for the practice range....

Anyway....I'm not sure what I did...hadn't hit any balls for a couple of years...and got this painful goose egg on my arm at the driving range the day before my HS reunion scramble.

There are a lot of reasons to take practice swings.  Rehearsal of the intended swing, keeping loose, trying to feel a certain tempo.  On the top 100 reasons for taking a practice swing, though, expressing impatience in an attempt to rush the players putting out on the green is like reason # 347 on that list.  So the reason that struck you as crazy is that it IS crazy.

Gee, there you go sounding just like the USGA. :dance:

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

There are a lot of reasons to take practice swings.  Rehearsal of the intended swing, keeping loose, trying to feel a certain tempo.  On the top 100 reasons for taking a practice swing, though, expressing impatience in an attempt to rush the players putting out on the green is like reason # 347 on that list.  So the reason that struck you as crazy is that it IS crazy.

Gee, there you go sounding just like the USGA.

I take practice swings to find out how far away the ground is.......

and to express anger and frustration over man's inhumanity to man - and slow play

Bill - 

We played in 3:40.

Something smells fishy...............

I think you are full of sh!t!  LOL

Probably more like 4+, but you paid your money and beat the 'so called' pace of play posed on the scorecard meant for busy times of day...not the first tee time........so you think you are fast enough..........even if you handicapped the pace for the entire course.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Something smells fishy............... I think you are full of sh!t!  LOL Probably more like 4+, but you paid your money and beat the 'so called' pace of play posed on the scorecard meant for busy times of day...not the first tee time........so you think you are fast enough..........even if you handicapped the pace for the entire course.

That's not nice...if a post on a forum gets under your skin....perhaps you're one of those folks easily perturbed. There's always ways to kill some time on the course....maybe fix other people's divots, enjoy the scenery or conversation with your playing partners...maybe take a couple of practice swings or putts on the green after you've holed out....it always takes about 4 hours for me...because of slow players ahead. Yeah...single empty course 3! But your thinking is all screwed up! We go there to enjoy ourselves....why would you want to rush that? And as a Cancer survivor....I can tell you....stop and smell the roses....because a life spent rushing is just one getting faster to the grave without savoring what it has to offer....

^ I am glad you survived. My father wasn't so fortunate this last year. You would have to read the whole thread to understand the context. One individual gives off the impression that he is not tolerant of normal golf behavior in the form of practice swings while you are waiting to hit from the fairway. Apparently someone doesn't want any group behind him in the fairway to take practice swings. I thought the guy was joking b/c it sounded so absurd, but he tried to defend that logic. Obviously no one else was able to relate to his position. I have certainly tried to be less uptight on the golf course and life in general. I would gladly give up any golf ability I had to bring my father back. Slamming a golf club or cussing myself or someone else seems petty to me right now.

I'm a dawn patrol player that usually leads the way and sets the pace................if not, we are the 2nd or 3rd starting time at worst.    We play with a purpose...........to play golf!  We normally finish 18 holes by 930am well ahead of the "RIFF RAFF".  We are never in a hurry, but it should never take more than 3hrs FLAT to 3.5 hrs worst case scenario for a 4-some to play 18 holes of golf when it's your group setting the pace. We play early to finish early.  Some of us don't want to spend an entire day at the course.  Thankfully, most of the "RIFF RAFF" like to sleep late.   If somebody else does snag that first time, it's normally one of my fellow member dawn patrol brothers.   We all get along just fine because they play golf like we do!  (with a purpose)

On the rare occasion the "RIFF RAFF"  does get in front of me, there would be no confrontation.  This slow group would obviously feel us breathing down their neck not because we are in a hurry or trying to push them, but because they are SLOW. We'd give them maybe 1 hole....2 holes top to wave us through.  If they don't, we'd drive past and go to the next tee.   As sweet sugar brown once said............"Ain't Nobody Got Time For That"..LOL

I can appreciate those that want to wander along for 4-5hrs to smell the roses.  Please limit your starting time until after 9-10am and you'll have all the time in the world to smell the roses during your round of golf. Those of us that play at sunrise aren't there to smell the roses.....we're there to play golf.

What's in Paul's Bag:

I too try to snag an early tee time. I like to play as the situation will allow. Guys that can't relate to the "fast" golfer tend to label us as being in a rush, impatient, inconsiderate,etc. They just don't get it. Some people have lives outside of golf. Family obligations also can interfere. For me it is more about being able to be active while I am playing. I might play 36 holes more often if each round lasted 3 hours. However, rounds over 4 hours mean a lot of standing around, sitting around, or thinking about how long the round is going to take because of those looking for balls ahead of me. How ever long the round is going to take I want to be driving the ball, striking the ball, pitching the ball, chipping, or putting. Not looking at my watch.

I too try to snag an early tee time. I like to play as the situation will allow. Guys that can't relate to the "fast" golfer tend to label us as being in a rush, impatient, inconsiderate,etc.

They just don't get it. Some people have lives outside of golf. Family obligations also can interfere. For me it is more about being able to be active while I am playing. I might play 36 holes more often if each round lasted 3 hours. However, rounds over 4 hours mean a lot of standing around, sitting around, or thinking about how long the round is going to take because of those looking for balls ahead of me. How ever long the round is going to take I want to be driving the ball, striking the ball, pitching the ball, chipping, or putting. Not looking at my watch.

Yes Sir!   I couldn't agree more!

Speaking of playing 36 holes........ I once played 36 holes on a "PACKED" saturday morning and finished by 12Noon!  LOL......true story!  It was one of those weird weeks when my regular group had obligations, so I let the way as a single.  I finished 18 when I noticed the 4some following me was coming up the 9th hole.  I planned to go home, but realized the opportunity to continue playing an empty golf course!!... ........I jumped over to 10 and played the back again while it was empty.    After completing 27holes by around 930am,  I waited around and got paired-up with a 4some to play my final nine.  I was behind the fray by this time, but finished 36 holes by about 12-NOON.  LOL ........................Fun Stuff!!

Agreed on the "lives outside of golf"....................by finishing early, I still have a full day ahead of me to do family things.

What's in Paul's Bag:

I would had let the twosome place at the turn or around the next two hole. I was in a similar situation.there was a one player that felt rushed by my golf partner and I. He was so slowly we even went ball hawking. After I had a good drive and then hit my 6 iron shot on the green.I waited til he was on the cart and on the next tee box before I hit n y 6i. After that hole instead of letting us play through confronted us and said he felt rushed.we were not evening speed golfing, just had good shots that day.when ever I feel rush I'll let faster player play through, even if I have to wait on the next hole.

Had the first tee time of the day as a single yesterday. Cruising along, on the 10th fairway a ball lands a few feet from me, single behind was hitting into me. I get to the green and he starts shouting vulgarities at me from the fairway. He's accusing me of starting on the back nine. I wave him through, he gets on the green and hits his putt while still walking. Picks up and races off. Needless to say, I felt rushed. Instead of putting while rushed I simply waved him through and went back to my game.

- Mark

Had the first tee time of the day as a single yesterday. Cruising along, on the 10th fairway a ball lands a few feet from me, single behind was hitting into me. I get to the green and he starts shouting vulgarities at me from the fairway. He's accusing me of starting on the back nine. I wave him through, he gets on the green and hits his putt while still walking. Picks up and races off. Needless to say, I felt rushed. Instead of putting while rushed I simply waved him through and went back to my game.

Obviously poor etiquette on his part. You were being polite despite his self-centered attitude. Hitting into a golfer is never acceptable. I might give him a pass if he politely asked if you started on the the back 9 or he made some joke about it. Once he hits into you and then starts yelling from the fairway he has already indicated he has no intention of being polite.

[quote name="Braivo" url="/t/83251/rushing-because-of-faster-players-behind/480#post_1186512"]Had the first tee time of the day as a single yesterday. Cruising along, on the 10th fairway a ball lands a few feet from me, single behind was hitting into me. I get to the green and he starts shouting vulgarities at me from the fairway. He's accusing me of starting on the back nine. I wave him through, he gets on the green and hits his putt while still walking. Picks up and races off. Needless to say, I felt rushed. Instead of putting while rushed I simply waved him through and went back to my game.

Obviously poor etiquette on his part. You were being polite despite his self-centered attitude. Hitting into a golfer is never acceptable. I might give him a pass if he politely asked if you started on the the back 9 or he made some joke about it. Once he hits into you and then starts yelling from the fairway he has already indicated he has no intention of being polite.[/quote] It's really funny that some golfers do this sometimes. What they don't seem to realize is that they're on the same track for the next hour or two and can easily be caught once reported. :-X

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3161 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!