IGNORED

Rushing Because of Faster Players Behind

CR McDivot
Note: This thread is 3161 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Had the first tee time of the day as a single yesterday. Cruising along, on the 10th fairway a ball lands a few feet from me, single behind was hitting into me. I get to the green and he starts shouting vulgarities at me from the fairway. He's accusing me of starting on the back nine. I wave him through, he gets on the green and hits his putt while still walking. Picks up and races off. Needless to say, I felt rushed. Instead of putting while rushed I simply waved him through and went back to my game.

You never saw him behind you prior to that? He must've been flying to never have seen you ahead of him until he suddenly caught you on 10. Normally you'll catch sight of a group you're closing in on a hole or to in advance.... Good for you to let him through and on his merry way, even though it sounds like he was a dick. :beer: Just curious, did anyone else catch you that round? What time did you finish in?

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You never saw him behind you prior to that? He must've been flying to never have seen you ahead of him until he suddenly caught you on 10. Normally you'll catch sight of a group you're closing in on a hole or to in advance.... Good for you to let him through and on his merry way, even though it sounds like he was a dick. :beer: Just curious, did anyone else catch you that round? What time did you finish in?

I see where you're going with this :beer: I was playing an unfamiliar course in northern Michigan. The holes are spread out in the forest, so you can't see the prior hole, there is no way to tell if someone is behind you until they are on the same hole. Two singles passed me during the round. Both were members of the course and play nearly every day. The first guy was pleasant and happy to greet an out-of-towner. He gave me some tips on playing certain holes as there are several blind shots. As he departed he mentioned there was another single behind him who was playing fast. It was this second single that hit into me within minutes of the first guy playing through. His tone changed once he realized I was playing all 18 and that I was new. He gave me a few pointers and moved on. I finished in 2:45. This included four re-tees for lost balls due to the blind shots. Those 4 stroke and distance penalties killed my round. It was enjoyable nonetheless. Ironically, on the 18th tee I could see the rude single on the green. I had kept pace with him for most of the back nine.

- Mark

Nothing wrong with a 2:45 round, under any circumstances. And you let the speedsters through so they didn't disrupt your rhythm. Kudos all around. :beer:
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

playing certain holes as there are several blind shots.

His tone changed once he realized I was playing all 18 and that I was new. He gave me a few pointers and moved on..

Ironically, on the 18th tee I could see the rude single on the green.

You still call him rude - sounds like he wasn't really, and hitting into you must have been an accident as was chasing another member that played as fast - let alone the comment about 'several blind shots'

though it sounds like it turned out as it should - let the faster play through, didn't disrupt your game, met a couple other nice golfers that welcomed you in a decent way

Bill - 

You still call him rude - sounds like he wasn't really, and hitting into you must have been an accident as was chasing another member that played as fast - let alone the comment about 'several blind shots' though it sounds like it turned out as it should - let the faster play through, didn't disrupt your game, met a couple other nice golfers that welcomed you in a decent way

I call him rude because he called me an ******* after hitting a shot at me when I was in plain sight, no blind shot at that time. He switched to a nice tone once he met me on the green, but that doesn't excuse him acting the way he did in the fairway.

- Mark

I call him rude because he called me an ******* after hitting a shot at me when I was in plain sight, no blind shot at that time.

He switched to a nice tone once he met me on the green, but that doesn't excuse him acting the way he did in the fairway.

that clears it up

glad you work it out eventually

Bill - 

I was playing an unfamiliar course in northern Michigan. The holes are spread out in the forest, so you can't see the prior hole, there is no way to tell if someone is behind you until they are on the same hole.

Off-topic, but what course were you playing?

Jon

Nothing more annoying and round-ruining than being rushed.  And being on the 18th hole, you'd think they would be a little patient, no?  Not going to let someone play through on 18 in my mind.

This is my biggest downfall for my game! I play at a pretty good pace as a player, but even if I am playing at a 3-3.5 hr pace, and even if I have groups in front of me and no where to go, I still feel like if I don't get right up and hit my shot, Im holding the group up behind me and it totally affects my game to the point I get frustrated and start playing rushed and terrible. I know its my fault, and I know Im not a slow player, but for some reason thats a demon I battle in my mind and have to learn to get over so I can enjoy playing the game, especially the way I know I can.

Anyone else feel this way on the course, or do you just not care about whats going on behind you and just play your game?

In the Sunmountain Bag

Driver - Ping G30

3 Wood - Adams Speedline Super S

3&4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha's

Irons - Callaway Xhot
Wedges - 54 & 60 S Grind Titleist Vokey SM5
Putter - Oddysey White Hot
Ball - Callaway Super Soft & Bridgestone e6

We had a situation today which was sort of in keeping with the topic.  We were a threesome, following a twosome, which was following several foursomes.  The pace was good.  While we were putting on #4 (par 3), another twosome drove up to the tee.  We finished and hit on 5, finished there then had a fairly protracted wait on the 6th tee.  The twosome behind us finished 5 while we were still waiting, and pulled up behind us at the tee on 6.  We all watched the two ladies ahead of us hit multiple shots before getting out of range, and after watching the show, the twosome (a man and wife) decided to stay back and take it easy rather than playing through and joining them.

Despite our having to wait on many shots, and the two behind us doing the same, we finished in 3:50, had a great day, and nobody worried about anyone waiting behind them since there was really nothing to do for it.  Even the two ladies ahead of us understood the proper etiquette and twice picked up without putting, realizing that they were losing ground on the foursome in front of them.  Quite often even had to wait to play, so they kept up well despite being rather poor players.

It was one of the most relaxed days I ever had while still waiting on a lot of shots.  I do wonder how fast we might have finished with nobody in front of us.  We never had a lost ball search - the only ball I hit that far astray was so far out that I just re-teed and played my 3rd shot, it wasn't worth looking for it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Reminds of a guy I ran into a couple rounds ago.  I was a walking single, nobody behind me for the first 3 holes, as I was halfway to the green on #4 I see another single pull up in a cart to tee off.  I made birdie or par on the hole and went to tee off on #5.  I hit and get 20 yards off the box when he comes driving up says 'Mind if I hit?'.

Since there was a threesome in front of me and a pair of foursomes in front of them it was obvious nobody was going anywhere and I figured he was asking to join me.  I said sure so he gets out and tees off.  He got in his cart and drove by and said 'Hey-hey at least I stayed out of the trees this time!'.  He drove down to his ball and hit, then went and parked by the next tee box and walked over to the green and started lining up his putt while I was getting ready to hit my second shot.  I was like what the hell is this clown doing?  Is he trying to play through a single as a single?  On a packed course?

That's exactly what it was, the dickhead putted out and immediately went and teed off on the next hole.  This annoyed the hell out of me for the rest of the front because a.) I am not at all a slow player, and b.) it looked like he went ask the threesome if he could play through them and they shot him down.  If I knew this guy was going to waste my time like that I would have never let him hit.

Has anyone else had a single ask to play through you as a single on a busy course?  What would you say?  This is honestly the douchy-est thing I've had someone pull on me since I started playing.

This is my biggest downfall for my game! I play at a pretty good pace as a player, but even if I am playing at a 3-3.5 hr pace, and even if I have groups in front of me and no where to go, I still feel like if I don't get right up and hit my shot, Im holding the group up behind me and it totally affects my game to the point I get frustrated and start playing rushed and terrible. I know its my fault, and I know Im not a slow player, but for some reason thats a demon I battle in my mind and have to learn to get over so I can enjoy playing the game, especially the way I know I can.  Anyone else feel this way on the course, or do you just not care about whats going on behind you and just play your game?

Our group is one of the fastest groups on the course and we tee off early (usually b/w 7 -7:30). However, it is not uncommon for us to run into a group that won't offer to let us through. When this occurs we sometimes have two-somes come behind us and rush us. When this occurs I do one of two things: 1) drive back and let the group behind us know that we are having to wait on every shot and give them the option of accepting the course is backed up or calling the clubhouse to get someone out tell the slow group to pick it up or let others pass them. or... 2) I'll ask the Marshall to let the two-some behind us know that we are having to wait on every tee box b/c of the group in front of us. This gives him the option to notify then as I requested, or tell the group in front of us to pick up the pace or let people through. Both of these options allow me to free my mind. I have yet to run into a group of players faster than us provided they have the same number of players. If another group has less players than us they sometimes are faster. I always let them through unless we are having to wait on every tee box.

This is my biggest downfall for my game! I play at a pretty good pace as a player, but even if I am playing at a 3-3.5 hr pace, and even if I have groups in front of me and no where to go, I still feel like if I don't get right up and hit my shot, Im holding the group up behind me and it totally affects my game to the point I get frustrated and start playing rushed and terrible. I know its my fault, and I know Im not a slow player, but for some reason thats a demon I battle in my mind and have to learn to get over so I can enjoy playing the game, especially the way I know I can.  Anyone else feel this way on the course, or do you just not care about whats going on behind you and just play your game?

Yes. It is because we are considerate people, as most on here are. I was paired up with a foursome last night that kept ignoring me when I would say that we should let a single play through our foursome. That was great.....

Yes. It is because we are considerate people, as most on here are. I was paired up with a foursome last night that kept ignoring me when I would say that we should let a single play through our foursome. That was great.....

It probably would make things ackward but I might have suggested they play on as a three-some. Then you could join the single and play ahead of them as a twosome. :) I guess it depends on how much you enjoyed being paired with them.

Reminds of a guy I ran into a couple rounds ago.  I was a walking single, nobody behind me for the first 3 holes, as I was halfway to the green on #4 I see another single pull up in a cart to tee off.  I made birdie or par on the hole and went to tee off on #5.  I hit and get 20 yards off the box when he comes driving up says 'Mind if I hit?'.

Since there was a threesome in front of me and a pair of foursomes in front of them it was obvious nobody was going anywhere and I figured he was asking to join me.  I said sure so he gets out and tees off.  He got in his cart and drove by and said 'Hey-hey at least I stayed out of the trees this time!'.  He drove down to his ball and hit, then went and parked by the next tee box and walked over to the green and started lining up his putt while I was getting ready to hit my second shot.  I was like what the hell is this clown doing?  Is he trying to play through a single as a single?  On a packed course?

That's exactly what it was, the dickhead putted out and immediately went and teed off on the next hole.  This annoyed the hell out of me for the rest of the front because a.) I am not at all a slow player, and b.) it looked like he went ask the threesome if he could play through them and they shot him down.  If I knew this guy was going to waste my time like that I would have never let him hit.

Has anyone else had a single ask to play through you as a single on a busy course?  What would you say?  This is honestly the douchy-est thing I've had someone pull on me since I started playing.

I think it is a little harsh to call him a dickhead and a douche because he misunderstood what you were saying.  Personally I would have said something along the lines of:

"There is no open room ahead of me but you are welcome to join me."  Then no misunderstandings.

He asked an ambiguous question to which you gave an answer without clarifying his intent.  It is unfortunate but hardly the stuff of douchehood, IMO.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis

Nothing more annoying and round-ruining than being rushed.  And being on the 18th hole, you'd think they would be a little patient, no?  Not going to let someone play through on 18 in my mind.

This is my biggest downfall for my game! I play at a pretty good pace as a player, but even if I am playing at a 3-3.5 hr pace, and even if I have groups in front of me and no where to go, I still feel like if I don't get right up and hit my shot, Im holding the group up behind me and it totally affects my game to the point I get frustrated and start playing rushed and terrible. I know its my fault, and I know Im not a slow player, but for some reason thats a demon I battle in my mind and have to learn to get over so I can enjoy playing the game, especially the way I know I can.

Anyone else feel this way on the course, or do you just not care about whats going on behind you and just play your game?

Keeping pace and making good shots under this small amount pressure is part of the game.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

This is one of the times when you need the serenity to accept something that you can't change.  This has happened to me lots of times, and I try my best to continue to play my game.  Its not because I don't care, but because I can't change it.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 3161 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!