IGNORED

Rushing Because of Faster Players Behind

CR McDivot
Note: This thread is 3166 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Our group is one of the fastest groups on the course and we tee off early (usually b/w 7 -7:30). However, it is not uncommon for us to run into a group that won't offer to let us through.

When this occurs we sometimes have two-somes come behind us and rush us. When this occurs I do one of two things:

1) drive back and let the group behind us know that we are having to wait on every shot and give them the option of accepting the course is backed up or calling the clubhouse to get someone out tell the slow group to pick it up or let others pass them. or...

2) I'll ask the Marshall to let the two-some behind us know that we are having to wait on every tee box b/c of the group in front of us. This gives him the option to notify then as I requested, or tell the group in front of us to pick up the pace or let people through.

Both of these options allow me to free my mind. I have yet to run into a group of players faster than us provided they have the same number of players. If another group has less players than us they sometimes are faster. I always let them through unless we are having to wait on every tee box.

Great advice! I will definitely use these options in the future when Im feeling rushed by a group behind us with no where to go. I played 18 today with a friend who had a really really rough day, lost probably a dozen balls, and my brother, and our 3 some still finished in 3 1/2.

• Upvote 1

In the Sunmountain Bag

Driver - Ping G30

3 Wood - Adams Speedline Super S

3&4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha's

Irons - Callaway Xhot
Wedges - 54 & 60 S Grind Titleist Vokey SM5
Putter - Oddysey White Hot
Ball - Callaway Super Soft & Bridgestone e6

Yes. It is because we are considerate people, as most on here are.

I was paired up with a foursome last night that kept ignoring me when I would say that we should let a single play through our foursome. That was great.....

That about sums it up Duff! I'm more considerate of others, than anyone ever has been with me on the course, so I will make a mental note of that in the future.

In the Sunmountain Bag

Driver - Ping G30

3 Wood - Adams Speedline Super S

3&4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha's

Irons - Callaway Xhot
Wedges - 54 & 60 S Grind Titleist Vokey SM5
Putter - Oddysey White Hot
Ball - Callaway Super Soft & Bridgestone e6

I think it is a little harsh to call him a dickhead and a douche because he misunderstood what you were saying.  Personally I would have said something along the lines of:

"There is no open room ahead of me but you are welcome to join me."  Then no misunderstandings.

He asked an ambiguous question to which you gave an answer without clarifying his intent.  It is unfortunate but hardly the stuff of douchehood, IMO.

This guy didn't misunderstand what I was saying, he had no intention of joining me, or anyone for that matter.  Whenever I play through a group I always thank them, always.  When this guy drove by me he didn't say thanks, in fact his small-talk seemed to suggest completely the opposite.

There are several people at this course that store a cart there or live along it who have the attitude that they can do whatever they want.  They show up or hop in their cart and just start playing on any hole, cut across people to play various open holes, and just flout the rules or any ideas of etiquette.  I think this guy is one of them.

I don't see anything wrong with jumping to an open hole if play is slow. I don't do it because it's hard to do as a walker and then have to walk all the way back to make up the skipped holes, plusI like playing the holes in order and there's no guarantee the skipped holes will be open later.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't see anything wrong with jumping to an open hole if play is slow. I don't do it because it's hard to do as a walker and then have to walk all the way back to make up the skipped holes, plusI like playing the holes in order and there's no guarantee the skipped holes will be open later.

During the week after work I play with a couple guys who work at the course and as a result I now know how to put the in cart GPS touch screen to Ranger mode so we can see where all the other carts are on the course then pick an appropriate hole that's open to go and play, you gotta love technology.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone else had a single ask to play through you as a single on a busy course?  What would you say?  This is honestly the douchy-est thing I've had someone pull on me since I started playing.

No but I have had a single not offer to let me join him while waiting on a slow group.

I was playing as a single and I caught up to a guy who was also playing as a single.  In front of us was a slow twosome.  While we are waiting at the tee he tells me this story:

He was at the pro shop behind the twosome.  After he paid, he jumped in his cart and beat the twosome to the first tee (they were walking.)  They then proceed to argue that because they paid first they get to play first.  To give them some benefit of doubt, the single was with his non-playing wife, so they may have assumed both people were going to play.  Regardless, the single was stuck waiting on every shot for the slow twosome.

So he tells me this story on the 13th tee.  When the twosome is out of range he hits his tee shot, says "take care" and drives off without asking if I want to join him or even giving me time to say, "if we paired up we may not have as much downtime."  So we became a very slow parade around the back 9.  I met up again on the 18th tee at which point -- for some unknown reason -- he offered to let me play through. :hmm: I guess he just didn't want the waiting to end.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I had a older couple hit into me yesterday waiting for 1 green to clear. They actually jumped in front of the people that declined to play with me waiting on 1 box. Crazy stuff ball landed right next to me. No way that guy couldn't have seen me I was dead center behind the black and white.

So they catch me on 3 tee as I am waiting on a group of very old women. He apologizes but he's kind of cocky and I suggest they join me since there is no more space between us. They agree and he makes a couple awkward comments as we play the 3rd hole. 4 is a long par 5 and his wife is a terrible golfer, 40-50 yards max, rollers on every shot. I am beating it, get to just in front of the green on a 542 yard hole with driver and 3h.

He then decided that running up on me not such a good idea and tells me if I can get around the groups ahead to please go. So I did. He must of backed off his pace because they were just to 7 green as I teed off 1 again. I played the front once and then 1-2-7 back to the house because it was getting dark.

Dave :-)

I don't know if this was already said, as I did not want to read 30 pages, but why not play with the guy? If there are two "Onesomes", it disrupts the pace of play for the entire course. If you made it a twosome, it would be more enjoyable for the both of you.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3166 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!