IGNORED

Rushing Because of Faster Players Behind

CR McDivot
Note: This thread is 3162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If there are open holes in front, golfers should let faster groups behind them through. How's that for a simple rule of thumb?

They should put this on a sign at the... oh wait.

OT - Quite a significant thread title change. At first I thought it was starting all over.

• Upvote 1

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In answer to the new thread title, I wouldn't rush just because someone's behind me. I'd find a good place to let them pass. I've been hit into many times, it used to bother me but not so much anymore. Only one time on purpose by some dimwitted players who thought I was someone they knew. :-P

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Apparently, no one including the moderator bothered to read the spoiler. :whistle:

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

I never feel rushed by the people behind me. If there's room, let them play through. If the course is packed, they're stuck just like me and it wouldn't make a lick of difference how much faster they felt I needed to play.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

My apologies to the moderator, perhaps the title change was to clarify my position. O:)

Still like my title better, tends to evoke a response that more reflects the aggressiveness of many TST posters. :8)

Spoiler may be found at post # 57 of this thread.

Back to my popcorn! :-D

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

Still like my title better, tends to evoke a response that more reflects the aggressiveness of many TST posters.

Your title was misleading, whether intentional or not, because the thread had nothing to do with speed golf, merely with golfers who played at a faster pace than you. Titles that are meant to be deliberately inflammatory are likely to be changed unless the thread is in a semi off-topic forum just because most people prefer productive discussion to people coming in, posting an emotional response to the title without reading anything, and leaving.

Your title was misleading, whether intentional or not, because the thread had nothing to do with speed golf, merely with golfers who played at a faster pace than you.

Titles that are meant to be deliberately inflammatory are likely to be changed unless the thread is in a semi off-topic forum just because most people prefer productive discussion to people coming in, posting an emotional response to the title without reading anything, and leaving.

You're the boss.

My apologies.

Former "Speed Golfer" CR McDivot

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

Your title was misleading, whether intentional or not, because the thread had nothing to do with speed golf, merely with golfers who played at a faster pace than you.

Titles that are meant to be deliberately inflammatory are likely to be changed unless the thread is in a semi off-topic forum just because most people prefer productive discussion to people coming in, posting an emotional response to the title without reading anything, and leaving.

Whoops... wait... I thought "Forum Leader" was a synonym for moderator.

Are you in fact a moderator of this forum, or have you an "honorary title"?

Did you change the topic title?

Do you have authority to do so?

No offense, just asking. ;-)

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

• Administrator
I changed the title. "Speed golf" is an actual thing so your title was wrong. Plus 3:32 is not very "speedy." Forum Leaders are just valued members without mod powers. Back to the topic please.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Last week me and 3 friends played down in Md. We get to the 1st tee and there is 2 younger guys on the tee box just standing. They say go ahead they're waiting for a 3rd. So we go ahead and tee off. The hole is a downhill then slight up hill for your 2nd shot. I was 3rd to play my 2nd shot and as I was lining up my target point a ball lands 10yds behind me and rolls to rest 3-4 yes ahead of me. We get to the green and look back and it's the 2 young dudes standing over their balls (not a 3rd person either as they said earlier). We finish the hole and wait at #2 tee and let them go through. We weren't going to be rushed all day by these 2 so letting them through was the best answer.

Whoops... wait... I thought "Forum Leader" was a synonym for moderator. Are you in fact a moderator of this forum, or have you an "honorary title"? Did you change the topic title? Do you have authority to do so? No offense, just asking. ;-)

Ha ha, no worries because I'm not "the boss". I've just hung around long enough to fool people into thinking I can hold normal conversations about golf. :-D I didn't change the title, I was merely providing a bit of commentary on why it might have been changed from your original title.

No one is calling him a liar, but his story absolutely does not hold together.

Ha ha ha ha! Surrre.

BTW, My point is not that faster players shouldn't be let through when possible, it is that faster players need to realize that they need to muster a little courtesy too from time to time. The idea that you need to always be "directly behind the group in front of you" is a recipe for goose stepping through the course in a way that would make golf a lot less enjoyable for a lot of people.  Maybe on a very busy course where play is not moving along very well anyway, there is no reason to get behind, but there are many circumstances when keeping up with the group in front of you, especially if they are a twosome,  is just not practical. These pronouncement over what is a slow time walking, while having no idea of what the course is like, are just absurd. Both of these statements come from an entitled mentality.

This problem will never be solved because slow players don't think they are slow, and they feel entitled to dictate the speed at which players behind them should play at because they are inside the maximum amount of allotted time.

I have played some very elevated change courses and understand your position if I'm reading it correctly @moppy. You are intent on walking-and I do at times-sharing your POV, but judging as entitlement may be a stretch I'm not buying. Gatlinburg Golf Course and Cooperstown are two I recently played that are difficult to walk for me. Here is a picture of one of a three pars hitting off the tee. Many holes like this. :~(

[QUOTE name="turtleback" url="/t/83251/rushing-because-of-faster-players-behind/72#post_1171197"]   No one is calling him a liar, but his story absolutely does not hold together.  [/QUOTE] Ha ha ha ha! Surrre. BTW, My point is not that faster players shouldn't be let through when possible, it is that faster players need to realize that they need to muster a little courtesy too from time to time. The idea that you need to always be "directly behind the group in front of you" is a recipe for goose stepping through the course in a way that would make golf a lot less enjoyable for a lot of people.  Maybe on a very busy course where play is not moving along very well anyway, there is no reason to get behind, but there are many circumstances when keeping up with the group in front of you, especially if they are a twosome,  is just not practical. These pronouncement over what is a slow time walking, while having no idea of what the course is like, are just absurd. Both of these statements come from an entitled mentality.

[quote name="Jon Hoover" url="/t/83251/rushing-because-of-faster-players-behind/90#post_1172036"]This problem will never be solved because slow players don't think they are slow, and they feel entitled to dictate the speed at which players behind them should play at because they are inside the maximum amount of allotted time. [/quote] This is the root of the issue, not that anyone thinks they are entitled to "take their time" or to "press forward". If the course is full, there are very few golfers who would try to press forward much less hit into others all day. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This is the root of the issue, not that anyone thinks they are entitled to "take their time" or to "press forward".

If the course is full, there are very few golfers who would try to press forward much less hit into others all day. .

Agreed, and when the course is full that's a different story. I was playing on Saturday and we were just 3 one guy canceled. We are behind a foursome and waiting on every shot and the foursome had 2 holes open in front of them, I remember seeing them tee off on #7 par 4 while the group in front of them was putting on the par 3 #8, and that's how it went all day, they would rush up and take their tee shots and never giving us the opportunity to play through. Ended up being a 4:10 round and everyone was in carts. I'd say 9/10 times I play I'm unable to play at my preferred pace, and the one time a slow player feels rushed they come to the forum and cry about it...

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!