IGNORED

My swing (porc)

porc
Note: This thread is 1754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, iacas said:

It’ll be this evening before I can watch the video but without having done so… no.

Is a wrist movement at the start of the downswing necessary (i.e. making sure it doesnt start cupping again), if you have tendency have an open clubface at impact? Thats their other suggestion. 

(edited)

My take is that beside the wrist staying neutral I need to rotate more through impact to square up the face of the club. I tried out this drill at home today and I felt a significant streching sensation in the back of my left hip indicating that I might need some mobility stretches for my hip plus more rotation drills.  

Edited by porc

39 minutes ago, porc said:

My take is that beside the wrist staying neutral I need to rotate more through impact to square up the face of the club. I tried out this drill at home today and I felt a significant streching sensation in the back of my left hip indicating that I might need some mobility stretches for my hip plus more rotation drills.  

Methinks you're overthinking this big time.  This is a good way to get hyper technical and destroy athleticism.  See the ball and react to it.

That said, any discussion about the golf swing should begin with strike; are you striking the ball relatively out of the middle? 

Second, look at face to path relationship.  The ball starts where the face is pointed (assuming strike is good).  You swing left and you have an open face.  If you want to minimize that curve, get your face and path closer together.  Do you want to hit a fade or a draw?  Pick one and work on dialing in that curve.

For a fade, you should start the ball left of target line, curve it to the right, but NEVER cross your target line; you want the ball to be always working toward your target.  Your miss should be a slight pull instead of a slice.  You can effectively eliminate the right side of the golf course if you take the time to dial in this strategy and play for this shape.  Golf is not about your perfect shots; it's about being able to play your less than stellar shots.

For a draw (my shape), you do the opposite.  Start the ball right of target, draw it back, but NEVER cross the center line.  The miss is a slight push, never a hook.  I never want a ball to miss left of my target.  I get high push draws or a straight push as my miss and eliminate one side of the course.  I'm not sure if Trevino did this exactly, but his aim left/swing right/walk straight is what I feel.

If you have access to a launch monitor that would really help you.  If not, put some alignment sticks or old shafts or something in the ground out in front of you on the target line and work on getting a consistent start line.  Then dial in the curve that you want.  

Also, your grip looks ungodly uncomfortable and weak (positioned way too far to the left) to me.  I like a solid standard-strong grip, but to each his own.  I tried a weak grip before and that feels so powerless to me.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, porc said:

Thx. Can anyone explain why I am flipping through impact? Is it a symptom of another swing fault that I am trying to compensate via flipping? 

Any suggestions? 

Yes, just a result of what's happening well before impact.

Suggestion would be to start with the grip 😉

13 hours ago, porc said:

Another question: Do you guys agree with the Athletic Motion Golf Guys that you have to actively rotate the forearms through impact to square up the clubface? Sounds like an unreliable way to do things. 

They don't think you need to actively rotate the forearms to square the face, it's a drill/feel they're describing for people that might have a severe chicken-wing type impact.

You have to understand that lot of their videos are describing what is happening, not necessarily what you should be consciously doing. Their goal is to get the golfer focused more on the motion (especially early into the swing) rather than hitting positions. Saying this as someone that has talked with these guys and given them thorough feedback on their site.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

(edited)

@ncates00 My most common miss: Ball starts to the right of my target and slices further to the right. 

I think more natural to me would be a fade or a straight shot but not a draw, since I have a (slight?) over the top move. However my problem is that I have no control over my clubface. 

Currently I am working towards a more neutral backswing path instead of my shallow one. 

1) Fix my inside takeaway which immediately opens the clubface. 

2) Fix my shallow shaft angle at lead arm horizontal to the ground position (in my swing my golfclub pointed far outside the target line instead of at it). 

My hope is that this will fix my over the top downswing (it seems to be consensus that a shallow backswing often leads to an over the top downswing).  

Re open clubface at impact I am currently changing the grip like mvmac told me, and I am fixing the inside takeaway which leads to an open clubface early in the backswing. I still manage to open it by the time it hits the impact zone though.  

Edited by porc

On 6/16/2019 at 10:51 AM, porc said:

I am slicing the golf ball (ball often starts off to the right and goes right even further due to slice). Any idea why when looking at this video (swing starts at 9 seconds)?

This ball isn't starting right and going right; it started left of 0*.  That's good, but due to the open face, you have excessive curve.  I thought the motion looks fine otherwise.  I don't know how well you strike the ball as you gave no indications.  You're very caught up on positions and things instead of having a good reactive motion.  I'd say strengthen the grip, measure strike, get that ball starting left and curving back to center without crossing.  Get out there and play around with it and figure it out.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, porc said:

@ncates00 My most common miss: Ball starts to the right of my target and slices further to the right. 

I think more natural to me would be a fade or a straight shot but not a draw, since I have a (slight?) over the top move. However my problem is that I have no control over my clubface. 

Currently I am working towards a more neutral backswing path instead of my shallow one. 

1) Fix my inside takeaway which immediately opens the clubface. 

2) Fix my shallow shaft angle at lead arm horizontal to the ground position (in my swing my golfclub pointed far outside the target line instead of at it). 

My hope is that this will fix my over the top downswing (it seems to be consensus that a shallow backswing often leads to an over the top downswing).  

Re open clubface at impact I am currently changing the grip like mvmac told me, and I am fixing the inside takeaway which leads to an open clubface early in the backswing. I still manage to open it by the time it hits the impact zone though.  

Dude, fix your grip first.

Re-read @mvmac‘s posts.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
On 6/20/2019 at 2:18 AM, iacas said:

What makes you think you're "too shallow during [the] backswing"?

To answer your question more precisely: 

I am referencing ( (in original video from behind in yellow tshirt): 

Position A2 (Shaft Horizontal Backswing): I have an inside takeaway, so shaft points way to the right of target. As you know it should be parallel to target line. 

Position A3 (Lead Arm Horizontal Backswing): My shaft points way outside of my target line/ball. It should point at my target line. I.e. shaft is too shallow/ not steep enough. 

I need to control my shaft angle by realising that my clubface should never be so far behind my body at any point in the swing. Also weight of club is lighter when it isnt so shallow. 

And yes I changed the grip like @mvmac showed me. Thanks for that tip @mvmac. 

Edited by porc

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, porc said:

To answer your question more precisely: 

I am referencing ( (in original video from behind in yellow tshirt): 

Position A2 (Shaft Horizontal Backswing): I have an inside takeaway, so shaft points way to the right of target. As you know it should be parallel to target line. 

Says who? Ray Floyd? Rickie Fowler of old, or Ryan Moore? Tons of people play great golf with an "inside" takeaway.

Position A3 (Lead Arm Horizontal Backswing): My shaft points way outside of my target line/ball. It should point at my target line. I.e. shaft is too shallow/ not steep enough. 

No it doesn't.

01.jpg

And yes I changed the grip like @mvmac showed me. Thanks for that tip @mvmac. 

Give the new grip some time, then post new videos from good angles. And post elsewhere please: this isn't a good look currently

Please also don't delete videos. Your first post, rather than showing progress, now looks like an error.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
16 minutes ago, iacas said:

No it doesn't.

01.jpg

What do you mean? The line you drew for the position lead arm horizontal points outside of the ball. In the second picture (later in the backswing) yes the shaft angle steepens as I try to get my clubhead back nearer to the ball.

Edited by porc

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

Give the new grip some time, then post new videos from good angles. And post elsewhere please: this isn't a good look currently

Please also don't delete videos. Your first post, rather than showing progress, now looks like an error.

Ok. No problem. I deleted the videos because I didnt find any time to play golf the last 3 years but forgot that then this thread would be impacted. 

I will post in other threads also. 🙂

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, porc said:

What do you mean? The line you drew for the position lead arm horizontal points outside of the ball.

I bolded the words "way outside." That is not "way outside."

rickiebrandt.jpg

Those two guys do okay.

And plenty of people play great golf without being on plane the entire golf swing.

Spend a week or two with the grip, committing to it, and post good video from good angles after a little while. Then work on the ONE next thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Played a personal best over a 9 hole round today: 1 over par over 9 holes! And I scored this on a different unknown course (my grandmothers home course). Played with my family (grandmother who is 88 still plays and my mother). 

Dont know why but all of my shots were straight as an arrow today, which was vital since the course has very narrow fairways. 

The course has a slope rating of 131. 

Edited by porc
  • Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!