IGNORED

Driver vs Driver, Golf Channel and Wilson

JKolya
Note: This thread is 1960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I saw a trailer for the show that has Padraig Harrington testing them out.  Makes sense since Padraig has been on the Wilson payroll for a long time.

But he better use his Happy Gilmore swing, if only to give the show a boost... lol.

John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

I saw a trailer for the show that has Padraig Harrington testing them out.  Makes sense since Padraig has been on the Wilson payroll for a long time.

But he better use his Happy Gilmore swing, if only to give the show a boost... lol.

John

Kevin Streelman was on the show too. Twice at least.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I just can't get into this show.  Too boring and too many moments of glaring stupidity.  For however many minutes of actual content there are, I just can't wade through the junk.  I'll probably tune into the final episode - and then end up just fast forwarding through it, lol.  

I like the idea, though.  It seems like something that could've been much better than it turned out.  It's not as bad as Pipe Dream.  

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 9:42 AM, iacas said:

I watched the episode last night, and my only wish is that they showed a bit more of the clubs instead of just repeating the same things all the time - the CFD, the MOI, the CG… etc.

Why not show all five designs with all of their numbers side by side? One guy's CFD number was like 1.86 IIRC, and some of the other teams only got to 3.x. How important is that number? How much difference does 4591 g*cm^2 versus 3937 make?

Yeah, that episode was like watching a bunch of 5th graders reading a report on the same book....over and over. About as informative as it wasn't entertaining....can't wait for this week's episode!

:ping:   Ping G30 - Driver       

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

Someone just please put this show out of our misery

I'd never believe that Golf Channel couldn't hit a lower point than altered course.  silly me.  next thing you know the Cubs will win the championship or something.....

Bill - 

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Someone just please put this show out of our misery

I'd never believe that Golf Channel couldn't hit a lower point than altered course.  silly me.  next thing you know the Cubs will win the championship or something.....

I was caught up watching history last night, but I still think the show isn't as bad as many of you seem to believe.

Then again, I do about two or three other things while watching TV, so maybe I just don't see how bad it is. As sometimes interesting background noise it seems fine.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 - they didn't even get to meet Paddy in person

2 - they didn't get to see their own clubs being built, instead a generic tour

3 - the hong kong tour was off topic

4 - seriously?  they keep this goofy team of 5 but only send one.  nothing like getting team members jealous of each other

5 - come on, send the team home, hard to believe they still kept them, must be trending well, though I have no idea why

6 - I like the one girl doing the test driving

I was a bit surprised at how manual the club building process was.  That doesn't lead me to higher confidence, actually just the opposite.  So the manufacturing tour was kind of cool.  My company builds in various far east factories, so this was familiar territory.

it's just that golf clubs are a lot more fun

Bill - 

6 hours ago, rehmwa said:

I was a bit surprised at how manual the club building process was.  That doesn't lead me to higher confidence, actually just the opposite.

I may have misunderstood, as I was multitasking a bit at the time (meaning doing everything poorly, lol), but I was under the impression that only prototypes are built this way, with that much manual labor.  They did build much more than one prototype per team by the way, and I am sure that some of those were used in manners not shown on the show too. Full-scale production is probably more automated, is it not?

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Is any golf club manufacturing, like this, done in the U.S.? Is China the only place that Wilson can have their prototypes built?

I guess this is an obvious question? Well, for me it is. And I already know the answer - Economics.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, BaconNEggs said:

Most of the contestants are uninspiring but as stated it is OK background noise or filler. I'd watch it over seeing Caddyshack for the millionth time. 

True dat.

Have the two recent episodes on DVR and will watch them soon. I think the idea for the show is pretty cool but the implementation hasn't been great. There isn't a lot of distinction from driver to driver and the critiques are fairly general. Like @iacas said, it would be great to see some real data comparison. I still think it's interesting to watch and hopefully they make some tweaks and come out with more shows like it. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

In the comparisons of the clubhead prototypes (by Harrington and the four former BigBreakers), the feedback was all about how these compare with each other.

But they didn't address how any of these compare with what those five golfers are already using--the one exception possibly being Harrington's comment that one of the clubs could go right in his bag.

I get that at this stage they're aiming to find which one of these three is the best (of these three) and to fine tune the prototypes.  But the premise to to build a better driver, which means they'll ultimately have to say "this one is better than what we're already selling" (and hoping it's also better than Ping, TM, Callaway, etc.). 

Those are big shoes to fill.  I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'm hoping they broaden the comparisons in upcoming episodes. (At least to current Wilson drivers.)

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Well, they're down to two, and they're offering $449 pre-orders at http://www.wilson.com/en-us/explore/golf/driver-vs-driver (drivervsdriver.com redirects there). The first 500 pre-orders get a headcover signed by Brian Urlacher and Kevin Streelman.

Will they sell 500 pre-orders?

At $449?

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Well, they're down to two, and they're offering $449 pre-orders at http://www.wilson.com/en-us/explore/golf/driver-vs-driver (drivervsdriver.com redirects there). The first 500 pre-orders get a headcover signed by Brian Urlacher and Kevin Streelman.

Will they sell 500 pre-orders?

I bet they sell very few before the winner is announced, but I bet they get 500 pretty quickly after the winner is announced. I bet that even people who would end up ordering either one will hesitate to order when they aren't sure which they'd get.

Can you request that Streelman NOT sign it? Haha.

- John

• Administrator

Oh, and at least I finally understand the idea behind the "Pivot" (which, gun to my head, is the driver I'd pick - I like the deeper face).

Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 10.42.37 AM.png

Just now, iacas said:

Oh, and at least I finally understand the idea behind the "Pivot" (which, gun to my head, is the driver I'd pick - I like the deeper face).

Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 10.42.37 AM.png

Huh. I thought that cover plate stayed in the same orientation, and there was a rotatable element beneath it.

This design seems susceptible to damage (particularly the image on the right). 

- John

• Administrator

Yeah, I just got to that part of the show. You only lift the plate up so you can adjust the weights underneath it, and then you lock it back into the same orientation.

I guess that's just showing you the little weight ports beneath.

And what kind of idiot asks the question "from 0 to 100 percent, how confident are you that this will be the longest driver on the market?"

Drivers are all "the longest" legally, it just depends on their launch conditions and the shaft and the guy swinging it, etc. I'd have truthfully answered "0% for some players and 100% for others." Or something like that.

Note: This thread is 1960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!