IGNORED

Driver vs Driver, Golf Channel and Wilson

JKolya
Note: This thread is 1987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Watched the final episode today (on DVR).  I was hoping they'd do more about the competition between the two finalist designs, showing the relative strengths of each, to lead up to the winner.  I was surprised they had an advertisement showing the winning club about 20 minutes into the show (although I wasn't watching the original broadcast--I DVR'd one of the re-runs).

Kept fast-forwarding through the show (reflections, memories, how'd you feel ...) until about 50 minutes in when they got to the point of announcing the winner, but at that point the ad had already already said who won, so it was kind of a non-event.

• Upvote 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was confused watching the last show because the Pivot seemed to be the favorite of everyone that tested it so I was shocked when they said the Triton was the winner.  I don't know how the Triton looks in person but on the show the top of the head reminded me of a skunk.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

8 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I don't know how the Triton looks in person but on the show the top of the head reminded me of a skunk.  

pepe le pew.jpg

Craig

45 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I was confused watching the last show because the Pivot seemed to be the favorite of everyone that tested it so I was shocked when they said the Triton was the winner.  I don't know how the Triton looks in person but on the show the top of the head reminded me of a skunk.  

Production cost is always a factor. Did one look simpler to manufacture?

Kevin

On 10/26/2016 at 11:48 AM, David in FL said:

Tried to watch, just couldn't.  Worse than that show about the homeless guy trying to play on the Senior Tour....

The Driver show is boring in my opinion.

The second one you mention sounds like a much more interesting story line. 

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Near as much as I could tell, the two guys had a few ideas and the Wilson designers guided them through the rules redesigning their club to adhere to the rules. The last episode blew. I, just like @Missoui Swede stated, expected some testing or statistical analysis of their clubs performance. Instead I got a show trying pry emotions out of everyone with repeat questions and taking editing cues from big break, misdirecting the audience to surprise them at the end. Had I not be watching real time, I could have saved myself 45 minutes.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator
7 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

The second one you mention sounds like a much more interesting story line. 

No. That show was beyond TERRIBLE.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, natureboy said:

Production cost is always a factor. Did one look simpler to manufacture?

The Pivot was going to be a more expensive driver but based on the feedback and limited statistics they did have, it was the better performing driver.  

Joe Paradiso

1 hour ago, iacas said:

No. That show was beyond TERRIBLE.

Yet it sounds intriguing. Was it "PIPE DREAM" ? I tried to find something on YouTube but all i could find was this 19 second video - which in itself is nice.

Why was it bad?
Happy Thanksgiving btw...

3 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Yet it sounds intriguing. Was it "PIPE DREAM" ? I tried to find something on YouTube but all i could find was this 19 second video - which in itself is nice.

Why was it bad?
Happy Thanksgiving btw...

The concept was intriguing, but the execution was very flawed.  Like any "reality" show, the episodes were loosely scripted to "enhance" viewership,  It was more about the show than trying to help the guy put his life together, at least based on what we saw.  

The biggest issue I had was I was never convinced the main character had a real desire to achieve the goal the show set for him, I think he enjoyed the benefits and attention.  A guy like that needs real help, not a few old golf buddies trying to play psychologist on camera.  

It's not the worst show I ever watched, but it could have been much better had they taken the time with it.  

Joe Paradiso

7 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

The concept was intriguing, but the execution was very flawed.  Like any "reality" show, the episodes were loosely scripted to "enhance" viewership,  It was more about the show than trying to help the guy put his life together, at least based on what we saw.  

The biggest issue I had was I was never convinced the main character had a real desire to achieve the goal the show set for him, I think he enjoyed the benefits and attention.  A guy like that needs real help, not a few old golf buddies trying to play psychologist on camera.  

It's not the worst show I ever watched, but it could have been much better had they taken the time with it.  

Thanks for the feedback. 

Maybe it's just my own personal fascination with recovery stories. But this thread is not the Mark Burk thread. I'll start  new one.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Thanks for the feedback. 

Maybe it's just my own personal fascination with recovery stories. But this thread is not the Mark Burk thread. I'll start  new one.

No need:

There you go.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The Triton is for sale, but it's not yet on the conforming list:

http://golfweek.com/2016/11/26/driver-error-wilson-triton-weeks-away-from-usga-approval/

Craig

I was wondering how the celebs pulled off 300 ish yard drives especially Herm Edwards atrocious swing.  Were they driving on a run way? Maybe there is more distance there than I am used to here ...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

2 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

I was wondering how the celebs pulled off 300 ish yard drives especially Herm Edwards atrocious swing.  Were they driving on a run way? Maybe there is more distance there than I am used to here ...

The celebs were at Lake Tahoe (Egdewood Tahoe) to test the drivers, during the American Century Celebrity Golf Championship Tournament. As you may know, Lake Tahoe is at around 6200ft of altitude, and the ball travels a good 10% further, so 300 yards is like 270 yards at sea level...

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

1 hour ago, sjduffers said:

The celebs were at Lake Tahoe (Egdewood Tahoe) to test the drivers, during the American Century Celebrity Golf Championship Tournament. As you may know, Lake Tahoe is at around 6200ft of altitude, and the ball travels a good 10% further, so 300 yards is like 270 yards at sea level...

that duck dynasty guy was pretty funny. Commenting on their hair, beards, or lack of......;-)

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

On 11/24/2016 at 10:46 AM, newtogolf said:

The Pivot was going to be a more expensive driver but based on the feedback and limited statistics they did have, it was the better performing driver.  

Cost related, then.

Seems a bit like this is a grand experiment on the part of manufacturers and possibly the Golf Channel to see if 'value added' adver-programming like this has any traction to creating emotional vs. ratings and tech-driven sales. Personally if I made club choices that way, just the fact that Padraig (who I like a lot) has been a Wilson loyalist for a long time would be sufficient for me. I find this sort of adver-program thing kind of transparent. At least when they used to weave the product into the old radio and early tv show storylines, they did it with a wink and a nod so they didn't insult my intelligence in the process.

8 hours ago, rehmwa said:

Worst.....show.......ever........except for Melanie

I still think the fitness golf thing was worse, more so for the overamped / borderline coked-up hosts/emcees than the content per-se. That's only from a limited viewing of either show, though.

6 hours ago, sjduffers said:

A fact I'm sure they failed to mention, right?

Kevin

Note: This thread is 1987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!