IGNORED

2015 PGA Championship at Whistling Straits Discussion Thread

RiddleMeThis
Note: This thread is 3163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think Dustin has already put it together a bunch of times. Then he chokes. He's going to have to get all the way through a 72nd hole before people will believe in him doing it.

He isn't playing bad! He isn't playing good, either, but he isn't playing bad. Compared to the major outings he's had previously, he's much improved.

No, he is playing bad. He may be playing better in the Greenbriers and Quicken Loans tournaments where the fields are weak, but when the pressure is cooked up in the majors, he looks awful out there. I want to see him return to his prime like you do, but let's face it.....he is FAR from that right now. I am just hopeful he can fix these issues, such as the "scooping swing" which I've been seeing way too much of.

I think Dustin has already put it together a bunch of times. Then he chokes. He's going to have to get all the way through a 72nd hole before people will believe in him doing it.

I wasn't really a fan of his before this year, but he's now probably the guy I'd want to win it after how well he's played for most of the year.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The announcers mentioned McIlroy got PT 24/7. What is that? 3AM wake up call McIlroy, get your ass down here so we can massage, electrolysis and acupuncture or give me 50 push ups pronto?

TNT's streaming sign in interface is terrible. Never gave me a popup.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I've been saying all along that Tiger needs more tournament play.

He can't expect to just show up once in awhile and compete.

I hope he plays 20+ tournaments next year.  Wishful thinking...

I tend to agree with this. Practice is not game conditions. I heard a really good quote this morning on the PGA Tour podcast, though - the only one who seems happy about Tiger Woods's progress is Tiger Woods. I think a 39 year-old man who just came off of near career-ending back surgery is happy right now to be tinkering with his swing, playing sparingly, and getting into competition again with mixed success. A year ago he was probably pushing too hard and getting a WD in every other event. The fans are expecting too much from this guy too quickly. "Is Tiger back?" is the week-long question that precedes every tournament he competes in. No, clearly he's not. He seems to not be pushing the issue, though.

I would expect him to play more next year. I think next year may be the last hurrah - either he plays a full, injury-free season giving the fans a glimpse of what we can expect for his next 5 years on tour, or he continues to fight injuries and never gets back to consistent, top-10-in-the-world-type form.

I was fortunate enough to watch much of the "marquee pairing" this morning, and I don't think he was that bad. His putting really let him down. He hit 2/3 of GIR, and his short approaches were often pretty bad. Even though he only hit 50% of fairways, the only tee shot with driver or 3 wood that was way off line was on the long par-5 that he birdied. As a matter of fact, I just checked his stats and he was -2.6 strokes gained putting. There's the big problem.

I think tournament consistency can only come through playing in more tournaments. Simple. He seems to be happy taking a long road back. I trust his opinion of himself more than anyone else's.

Some other observations:

Watching Keegan Bradley golf gives me a headache. He seems like a good guy, but stop putting the itching powder in your drawers, man, seriously!

Michael Breed is like the Dick Vitale of golf announcers. Boundless enthusiasm. I tend to enjoy his energetic commentary.

Whistling Straits reminds me of a much prettier, greener version of Chambers Bay.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't really like this course. It seems too contrived to me.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Did anyone else hear the announcer's comment that Lingmerth and Patrick Reed will have an advantage putting today because they are "low to the ground"?

What?!?

- John

Go Danny Lee! Unfortunate bogey on final hole but hopefully he can string together a few more below par rounds and be there abouts on Sunday!

• Upvote 1

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't really like this course. It seems too contrived to me.

Agreed. I almost choked on my drink when I saw that the brief was 'make it like Ireland'!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

The announcers mentioned McIlroy got PT 24/7. What is that? 3AM wake up call McIlroy, get your ass down here so we can massage, electrolysis and acupuncture or give me 50 push ups pronto?

TNT's streaming sign in interface is terrible. Never gave me a popup.

They probably have electrical stimulation on his ankle area 24/7.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!