IGNORED

2015 PGA Championship at Whistling Straits Discussion Thread

RiddleMeThis
Note: This thread is 3171 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Bubba's driver is a little erratic, which is not good for a place like this. Have to hit it straight.

Right, that's why he finished runner-up in a playoff the last time this tournament was played here.

• Upvote 3

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Right, that's why he finished runner-up in a playoff the last time this tournament was played here.

I think more so what he was getting at is you have to hit fairways. Bubba will never literally hit the ball straight. You don't need to hit it straight here; in fact you don't really want to. You just need to make the fairway whatever way you can. I always thought for a long hitter, Bubba was somewhat better with fairways hit than DJ or Day, maybe he just struggled today.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

So just because he finished up runner up that year we should assume he's going to hit every fairway and win the PGA this year? It's not that easy, kiddo.

You missed a great commercial that you probably haven't seen before.

"STANDING IN THE HALL OF FAME"

Quote:

Originally Posted by b101

That's STILL going?!

They ramped it back up when they heard he was coming back to play.

Quote:

I don't know, he hardly gets any coverage. Good thing they didn't show DJ/Rickie/Day as a feature group

Tell me about it. I don't want to watch tiger play any more shitty golf. I mean jeebus you lost your swing not your putting stroke. WTF is it with missing just about every gd birdie putt... I don't need to see him in another marquee group until he plays better....my face is sore from cringing the whole round...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They ramped it back up when they heard he was coming back to play.

Tell me about it. I don't want to watch tiger play any more shitty golf. I mean jeebus you lost your swing not your putting stroke. WTF is it with missing just about every gd birdie putt... I don't need to see him in another marquee group until he plays better....my face is sore from cringing the whole round...

I have to agree.

Unfortunately, TV's idea of "marquee group" means "ratings" not "good golf".

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

So just because he finished up runner up that year we should assume he's going to hit every fairway and win the PGA this year?

Yup, exactly.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Sad news about Billy Hurley's dad. RIP. I know OT but they were talking about it tonight at Whistling.

Mental health is too often overlooked as a major issue in this country.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/13430411/father-billy-hurley-iii-found-dead-self-inflicted-gunshot-wound

Michael Collins with ESPN is a complete idiot. His first round "grades" to summarize:

Rory C+

Furyk B-

Jordan C-

Day B

Rose C+

Fowler C-

Seriously man? Justin Rose shoots a 69 and thats a C+ yet Fowler is +1 and thats a C-? Jason Day shoots a 68 and thats only a B?

WTF

Michael Collins with ESPN is a complete idiot. His first round "grades" to summarize:

Rory C+

Furyk B-

Jordan C-

Day B

Rose C+

Fowler C-

Seriously man? Justin Rose shoots a 69 and thats a C+ yet Fowler is +1 and thats a C-? Jason Day shoots a 68 and thats only a B?

WTF

Golf journalism and coverage is, at the best of times, very mediocre. I'm sure all of these grades are filled with crap.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Golf journalism and coverage is, at the best of times, very mediocre. I'm sure all of these grades are filled with crap.

It just blows my mind. He gets paid to write this shit. Think about that. Its his job. If I was that awful at my job; I wouldn't have it.

It just blows my mind. He gets paid to write this shit. Think about that. Its his job. If I was that awful at my job; I wouldn't have it.

I know! It's so bad! Golf.com is the worst, though. ESPN is crap, but Golf.com sets the standard for garbage journalism.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I know! It's so bad! Golf.com is the worst, though. ESPN is crap, but Golf.com sets the standard for garbage journalism.

Don't mean to nitpick but shouldn't that read: 15 Reasons Why Golf.Com Sets the Standard for Garbage Journalism?

Tiger seemed like he was losing his cool too much... Like he said, he hit it the way he wants, but couldn't Hole a damn putt... My pre-tournament pick Day played well today... I agree about Golf.com being garbage journalism... It's about as bad as that Emily Kay and her negativity toward Tiger this season... Tiger needs about a 64 to get back in it... Unfortunately he's gotta make some putts for that to happen, his stroke just looks a lot hitchy right now... He's thinking about it too much, it just seems he has a couple bad holes and it snowballs on him... It's sad to see, because Tiger of old would have a bad Hole or two make a bogey or two and refocus and salvage the round... It seemed like when he was dominating his C game would net him a round right around par... Now it's just ugly to watch... I'm cautiously optimistic about DJ however, his opening 66 was as solid as a rock, but he needs to back it up... Not talking another 66 tomorrow, but a couple under tomorrow to put himself in good shape going into Saturday... Hell he needs to do it on Saturday and Sunday and NOT ground his club in the bunker with the tournament on the line.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Don't mean to nitpick but shouldn't that read: 15 Reasons Why Golf.Com Sets the Standard for Garbage Journalism?

Hey, at least Buzzfeed produces actual quality content every now and then; golf.com forces you to read Bamberfer and the rest of those douches. Stephanie Wi is the only good one, and she can fall prey to the same crap they do.

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/2015-pga-championship-data-visualizer?pga_cid=nav

Interesting feature on the PGA.com (not pgatour.com). I can see if you just want to catch up on a player to see what you missed that this will summarize it (a bit better than just looking at the scorecard because you see FIR/GIR too, along with a graph).  This shows how Rory and Jordan both arrived at their scores of -1.  You can do a comparison of two players, or just a single player.

You can choose other things to look at like driving distance or number of putts per hole, but I can't see myself really wanting that info as much as just a visual summary of how someone is doing.

Anyway, just thought someone might be interested. Every major seems to trot out new ideas in how to look at the data.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Out of all the streaming casts for majors, I like ESPN's the most in that there's replay and alternate - UK and Spanish feeds available. And many device options like Roku, Fire TV, CC. The PGA's cast has got to be the worst. TNT didn't properly open a sign-in popup and the picture quality degrades frequently. The only thing the PGA has that the others don't, afaik, is the press room channel. The Masters seems to have the best picture quality. Woods berating himself (NSFW): https://vine.co/v/edFiv127JuE

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Tiger continues to have a poor perception of how bad he's playing. "I hit it great today" referring to Thursday's round. No he didn't. He hit 7/14 fairways and 8/12 greens. Problem is his avg. approach was 156yds. His putting was admittedly awful but I've repeatedly heard Tiger make statements that he's hitting well, so close...etc. no he isn't. He needs to realize he's a mess and quit minimalizing how poor his game really is. When you're constantly 10+ off the lead after the opening day.....criminey I wish he'd pull his head out.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Yup, exactly.

I expected him to play well. Anyone paying even a little attention to pro golf would think Bubba should have a decent week. To win, ??? That could go to anyone of 15 different players. Coming off a couple good weeks, returning to a place he played well in the past. Yes, it is expected of him to play well and finish top 20. At the very least make the cut and that is boarder line right now. Playing in the afternoon is going to add pressure and wind. He is going to be looking at a leader board that will have someone at -10.

I figure if he starts out first 3 holes +1 or worst, he folds it up for the weekend.

Note: This thread is 3171 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!