IGNORED

2015 PGA Championship at Whistling Straits Discussion Thread

RiddleMeThis
Note: This thread is 3166 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looking like a Day/Speith final grouping....unless Rose can get it in close...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can only imagine the pressure Jones and Finau are feeling.   Jones needs to do something on 18 otherwise that double is going to haunt him all night.

Joe Paradiso

Setting the stage for Spieth - Day final pairing.

Gotta think it's going to be one of: Day Spieth Rose Grace Kaymer (that's a strong leaderboard)

Finau/Jones not likely to mount comebacks.

DJ possible, but he's going to have to go low to beat the 5 above.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

With the winds predicted to be up, anything can happen. That brings in the guys further back with a shot. It sounds like the same winds we saw late Thursday where not many guys shot under par.

Is it me are does Day's caddie resemble Jack Nicklaus?

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Is it me are does Day's caddie resemble Jack Nicklaus?

It's you.

Gotta think it's going to be one of: Day Spieth Rose Grace Kaymer (that's a strong leaderboard) Finau/Jones not likely to mount comebacks. DJ possible, but he's going to have to go low to beat the 5 above.

By my count, there's about 9 golfers with a chance, albeit some have a very small chance. Let's break it down with the @RJH999 method, shall we? :-D. There is but one golfer in the "LOLNO" category: Anirban Lahiri (Sorry man) That leaves nine, but there's a few in the "Extreme Longshots" category: Tony Finau Matt Jones Dustin Johnson So, there are 5 golfers with a legit shot at the championship: Jason Day Jordan Spieth Branden Grace Justin Rose Martin Kaymer Who I think is most likely to win to least likely: 1. Jordan Spieth 2. Justin Rose 3. Jason Day 4. Martin Kaymer 5. Branden Grace

Riley

Ordinarily I don't like it when golf courses hand out doughnuts but the soft course, low wind and scoring was pretty nice. I don't want that for tomorrow. Bring on the wind!

Ordinarily I don't like it when golf courses hand out doughnuts but the soft course, low wind and scoring was pretty nice. I don't want that for tomorrow. Bring on the wind!

I enjoyed today too, because the top guys separated themselves.

Only a handful of guys went -6 or better today, and most of them are these guys.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• Administrator
PGA Site says today is 7501.

http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/scoring/course_stats

It says the same for all four days and we know that's not true. That's basically as long as it can really play.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallT

PGA Site says today is 7501.

http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/scoring/course_stats

It says the same for all four days and we know that's not true. That's basically as long as it can really play.

Good call. Other majors have changed it day to day, so I didn't even check. Here I was thinking the announcers were boneheads for not checking.

My Swing

Yeah, I don't think it's played its max out yardage. But length doesn't really impact scores. Fast and undulating greens, narrow fairways with high rough do, and Whistling Straits is lacking that right now, including tough pin locations and high winds which have been mostly non-existent. Too many guys are getting easy lies in the rough, although don't tell that to Jason Day on 16. But even moreso, there's little break on many of these putts. They don't have any speed and not much break to them and you're seeing players burying 10-15 footers all day. You don't see that at Augusta or the US Open where putts are tougher to read, but you're seeing it here.

I don't mind some scoring, but in a major, you don't want to see it play like the Bob Hope Classic. You want to see guys tested. That being said, the last hour had a lot of drama to it. I just hope tomorrow does as well. Glad to see the winds will be up.

By my count, there's about 9 golfers with a chance, albeit some have a very small chance.

Let's break it down with the @RJH999 method, shall we? .

There is but one golfer in the "LOLNO" category: Anirban Lahiri (Sorry man)

That leaves nine, but there's a few in the "Extreme Longshots" category:

Tony Finau

Matt Jones

Dustin Johnson

So, there are 5 golfers with a legit shot at the championship:

Jason Day

Jordan Spieth

Branden Grace

Justin Rose

Martin Kaymer

Who I think is most likely to win to least likely:

1. Jordan Spieth

2. Justin Rose

3. Jason Day

4. Martin Kaymer

5. Branden Grace

On the whole I agree with your groupings, but there is no basis for excluding Lahiri from the first group. He is in no worse a position, and Finau isn't any better a player.

I like Jason day. He looks like he has got all the talent except for clutch putting. The pairing with Jordan will be exciting to watch. I'm guessing the winner will be from that group. If these top guys can putt like Jordan they could be at his level.

Note: This thread is 3166 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!