IGNORED

2015 PGA Championship at Whistling Straits Discussion Thread

RiddleMeThis
Note: This thread is 3170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If Spieth had holed that putt at St Andrews and won there, we'd probably all be quite deflated now that Day had just ruined the single-year Grand Slam. But actually I think this year played out perfectly (for everyone except Dustin Johnson). Spieth has gone up immeasurably in my estimation (as I said on the other thread) for how he's handled his narrow defeats more than how he's handled his wins. Golf didn't need another juggernaut like Tiger, destroying everyone before him. It's great for the kids playing the game now to have a role model who wins AND loses occasionally and laughs either way. I hope Spieth goes on to win (and narrowly lose) as many majors as Nicklaus.

• Upvote 1

If Spieth had holed that putt at St Andrews and won there, we'd probably all be quite deflated now that Day had just ruined the single-year Grand Slam. But actually I think this year played out perfectly (for everyone except Dustin Johnson). Spieth has gone up immeasurably in my estimation (as I said on the other thread) for how he's handled his narrow defeats more than how he's handled his wins. Golf didn't need another juggernaut like Tiger, destroying everyone before him. It's great for the kids playing the game now to have a role model who wins AND loses occasionally and laughs either way. I hope Spieth goes on to win (and narrowly lose) as many majors as Nicklaus.

yup, it really sucked, getting to watch arguably the greatest player of all time play... :whistle: if posts like this (as well as the great majority of golf commentating) didn't either explicitly or implicity include "he's not that awful tiger woods", i could take them more seriously... add in the nicklaus* part, and it just sounds like another "tiger vs. jack" argument... * people either don't know or have forgotten how much the general public hated jack... they grew to like him in time, but i think it is a safe bet that jack's popularity today FAR exceeds his popularity during the first 10-15 years of his career...

yup, it really sucked, getting to watch arguably the greatest player of all time play...

if posts like this (as well as the great majority of golf commentating) didn't either explicitly or implicity include "he's not that awful tiger woods", i could take them more seriously... add in the nicklaus* part, and it just sounds like another "tiger vs. jack" argument...

* people either don't know or have forgotten how much the general public hated jack... they grew to like him in time, but i think it is a safe bet that jack's popularity today FAR exceeds his popularity during the first 10-15 years of his career...

Tiger was a great player. Greatest of all time? Sorry, that discussion starts with Bobby Jones and goes on to Jack Nicklaus.

As for Jack, I remember him playing in the late 1960s and while I wouldn't say he was hated, he was definitely disliked. Mostly because many people felt he was winning tournaments that Arnie should be winning. That was why he was disliked.

Eventually, people came around to liking him but mostly in the 80s and later, especially today.

It's what used to be said about Fred Astaire vs. Gene Kelly. People loved Astaire, they just respected Kelly.

• Upvote 2

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger was a great player. Greatest of all time? Sorry, that discussion starts with Bobby Jones and goes on to Jack Nicklaus.

Welcome to the site. Some threads that may interest you.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'm late to this thread so pardon anything that's repeated.

Congrats to Day for winning the PGA!

Found it interesting that it was Day and Spieth in the lead after they were tied for 4th (actually 2nd in my mind) just 1 stroke back from joining the playoff at The Open.  Two fewer strokes by either of them and one of them would have won The Open too.  I was rooting for Spieth but am happy that, if Spieth didn't win it, Day did.  He won going away by fending off not only Spieth but also Rose and Grace who kept knocking on the door.  No one gave it to him, he earned it, which should dispel any doubt about his ability to close a match.

My only take on it is what might have been different if Spieth had started in the morning on Thursday instead of the afternoon, when the winds were extremely difficulty to play.  Only 3 players in the afternoon on Thursday -- Spieth, Koepka and Coetzee -- made it into the top 10.  Day, Johnson, Kuchar and Rose in the morning group on Thursday each scored less than 70.  Day scored 68 and Spieth 71 on that day.  Give Spieth a 68 on Thursday and there would have at least been a playoff and there also would have been a lot more pressure on Day during the match, which might have caused a mistake to give Spieth the edge to win his 3rd major in the year (and career) at such an early age.  It would have been historic!

BTW, the weather was an issue for Spieth at The Open too; better weather during in the 2nd round and he might have won that too.

Yeah, I know --  "woulda shoulda coulda."  Just the luck (or bad luck) of the draw for Spieth.  So, we'll never know what might have happened, if Spieth played in the morning instead of the afternoon on Day 1. That's not a knock against Day.  He played extremely well and consistently during the championship -- average 67 in all 4 rounds would be impossible to beat in most tournaments, let alone a major.  So, hats off to him.

Spieth will have another chance to win The Open and the PGA some other day (no pun intended). ;-)

Callaway FT9 Driver (10N)
Jones/Ortiz 3W(13), 4W (17) & 5W (19)
Jones/Ortiz  3H (21) 4H (25) & 5H (30)
Titleist DCI Gold - 3-PW (21-48)
Titleist Vokey PW (48-6), GW (52-8), SW (56-10) & LW (60-4)
Northwestern (Tom Weiskopf) #309 Putter

Whatever. A player of his caliber doesn't play like he played for that 1.5 years. A player of his caliber shouldn't have streaks like he did this year before the U.S. Open I believe with those MCs. My comment is that Jordan going to number one will give him motivation. I base my comment on his past. If you feel otherwise then that's great. You can win. :).

That's not how conversation works. You make the claim, you then have to provide evidence. Nothing you said is evidence at all. If it was evidence you could say the same thing about any tour player not winning. Only one player gets to win.... Is Tiger lazy too? Phil?

[QUOTE name="Spiethismyhero" url="/t/83371/2015-pga-championship-at-whistling-straits-discussion-thread/846#post_1186063"]   Tiger was a great player. Greatest of all time? Sorry, that discussion starts with Bobby Jones and goes on to Jack Nicklaus. [/QUOTE] Welcome to the site. Some threads that may interest you.  [CONTENTEMBED=/t/74049/strength-and-depth-of-field-in-jacks-day-and-tigers-day layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]   [CONTENTEMBED=/t/2203/jack-or-tiger-whos-the-greatest-golfer layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]

potential for those threads to get spicier for a bit now... :-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff McGee View Post

That's not how conversation works.

You make the claim, you then have to provide evidence. Nothing you said is evidence at all. If it was evidence you could say the same thing about any tour player not winning. Only one player gets to win....

Is Tiger lazy too? Phil?

I corrected my lazy description to complacent. Please keep up, unless your goal is to paint me in then the worst light which is cool, I can handle that. But, I'm just pointing out there was a blip in your binary code that caused you to miss that earlier post.

Let's now see if this is how conversation works.

From the man himself:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/magnificent-rory-mcilroy-seals-the-deal-at-quail-hollow-1.2216020

Quote:
“Back in 2012 when I got to world number one, I got a bit complacent and had to rededicate myself a little bit and to work as hard as I can and to be the best that I can be.....

So, he admits he got complacent after 2012.

Let's see what the man says about complacency going forward, what he is proud of and must guard against. He was proud he didn't mail it in at Bridgestone last year:

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/columnists/sullivan/2014/08/03/rising-star-mcilroy-just-little-pumped-win/13557681/

Quote:
"It's great to have a chance to try to go (to Valhalla) to try to win three in a row, but if you'd have asked me what I'm proudest of this week, it's the mindset that I took into here of not being complacent and not just sort of coming here and enjoying myself."

I am a Rory fan. He admits he has a tendency to be complacent. I think when you are that good and talented, that tendency is natural. I think Spieth going to #1 will motivate him. That is all.

TW is screwed up in the head, PM is over the hill. If you want to play "gotcha" then make it relevant.

Oh man, this thread is becoming the Greg Norman thread all over again.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

People di•k sucking Spieth is a major reason I don't particularly like Spieth. He's too goddamn perfect, yeah I know sure he doesn't seem fake and I'm sure he's a good enough guy but he grinds my damn gears and people who are constantly saying "oooooh look what Spieth did ooooh Spieth is such a nice and classy player, unlike "X".

We get it. He's the Gwyneth Paltrow of the sport.

But I'm a dick.

And yeah, Richard Sherman is a huge dick, I hate the Seahawks. But that's not true, he doesn't act like it's a one man team. On the "not being raised right part", Richard Sherman had to work his ass off to get into Stanford and he's an incredibly smart guy. Not being born with a silver spoon in your mouth doesn't mean he was not "raised right".

But anyway, this is OT.

I think I've posted this somewhere before but before he won two major's this year, before he finished second in the Masters last year, before he won the his first tournament in 2013, TGC and the announcers were sweating him really hard.  It's like, how how many times do I have to hear how old he is or how he's golf's savior?  So, like @RJH999, it's made me not want to root for him.

His results this year are amazing and, as such, he's going to get a bunch of media attention and it's merited but I really don't need to see them go goo goo gah gah over him.

The above two quotes by people who are fanatical Eldrick followers literally made me LOL (and snort).

Please.  We've had Woods jammed down our throats for what, 15 years now?  People slobbering all over him, telling us over and over and over again how great he is....even now when he's a complete non-factor, we still have to endure a media deluge every time he picks up a golf club, see him injected into every thread about anything having to do with golf, hear people gleefully proclaiming "He's back!  He's BAAACK!!1!!!!" every time he hits a halfway decent shot.  To say that you can't root for Spieth because of people di*k sucking him and going goo goo gah gah over him is so ironic that it's hilarious.

• Upvote 1

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

The above two quotes by people who are fanatical Eldrick followers literally made me LOL (and snort).  Please.  We've had Woods jammed down our throats for what, 15 years now?  People slobbering all over him, telling us over and over and over again how great he is....even now when he's a complete non-factor, we still have to endure a media deluge every time he picks up a golf club, see him injected into every thread about anything having to do with golf, hear people gleefully proclaiming "He's back!  He's BAAACK!!1!!!!" every time he hits a halfway decent shot.  To say that you can't root for Spieth because of people di*k sucking him and going goo goo gah gah over him is so ironic that it's hilarious.

"Fanatical Eldrick followers"? Please. What an incredibly snarky, smug remark.

Riley

The above two quotes by people who are fanatical Eldrick followers literally made me LOL (and snort).  Please.  We've had Woods jammed down our throats for what, 15 years now?  People slobbering all over him, telling us over and over and over again how great he is....even now when he's a complete non-factor, we still have to endure a media deluge every time he picks up a golf club, see him injected into every thread about anything having to do with golf, hear people gleefully proclaiming "He's back!  He's BAAACK!!1!!!!" every time he hits a halfway decent shot.  To say that you can't root for Spieth because of people di*k sucking him and going goo goo gah gah over him is so ironic that it's hilarious.

I wouldn't say I'm a fanatical follower of Tiger and, if anything, I'd say I'm a bigger Phil follower. My desire to see Tiger do well is twofold - one, because I think the better he does, the better it is for our shared golf community and two, I love a good comeback story. I only started following golf since roughly 2013 so I haven't had Tiger "jammed" down my throat for 15 years, but, considering how dominant he was and the game changer he was for the sport, I would imagine that if he wasn't bigger than the sport, then, for all intents and purposes, he was the sport, which is why I would gather is the reason he garnered such attention. Spieth, whereas he's merited a lot of attention for the year he's had, wasn't merited as much of it before this year, IMO, which is why I had such an issue with him being jammed down our throats.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJH999

People di•k sucking Spieth is a major reason I don't particularly like Spieth. He's too goddamn perfect, yeah I know sure he doesn't seem fake and I'm sure he's a good enough guy but he grinds my damn gears and people who are constantly saying "oooooh look what Spieth did ooooh Spieth is such a nice and classy player, unlike "X".

We get it. He's the Gwyneth Paltrow of the sport.

But I'm a dick.

And yeah, Richard Sherman is a huge dick, I hate the Seahawks. But that's not true, he doesn't act like it's a one man team. On the "not being raised right part", Richard Sherman had to work his ass off to get into Stanford and he's an incredibly smart guy. Not being born with a silver spoon in your mouth doesn't mean he was not "raised right".

But anyway, this is OT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

I think I've posted this somewhere before but before he won two major's this year, before he finished second in the Masters last year, before he won the his first tournament in 2013, TGC and the announcers were sweating him really hard.  It's like, how how many times do I have to hear how old he is or how he's golf's savior?  So, like @RJH999, it's made me not want to root for him.

His results this year are amazing and, as such, he's going to get a bunch of media attention and it's merited but I really don't need to see them go goo goo gah gah over him.

The above two quotes by people who are fanatical Eldrick followers literally made me LOL (and snort).

Please.  We've had Woods jammed down our throats for what, 15 years now?  People slobbering all over him, telling us over and over and over again how great he is....even now when he's a complete non-factor, we still have to endure a media deluge every time he picks up a golf club, see him injected into every thread about anything having to do with golf, hear people gleefully proclaiming "He's back!  He's BAAACK!!1!!!!" every time he hits a halfway decent shot.  To say that you can't root for Spieth because of people di*k sucking him and going goo goo gah gah over him is so ironic that it's hilarious.

Let's keep the language a bit more PG all.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

No snarkiness or smugness about it,that's his name and I bet he's proud of it.

I'm sure he is, but in the context of the comment it was meant to be dismissive and belittling of Tiger Woods.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Note: This thread is 3170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!