Sign in to follow this  
GreenStar

No-limit equipment

Note: This thread is 1540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 posts / 1022 viewsLast Reply

Hi there. This is my first post here :-)

We all know that the Rules prescribe limits to golf equipment, but what if there were no limits? What would our equipment be like if all the Rules were ditched? How would it perform, what would it be comprised of, what would it look like? I imagine that at golf's inception and its earliest beginnings, every bit of technology available WAS thrown at golf, so envisioning today's very best isn't heretical at all. Your thoughts?

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of golf clubs and golf balls that do not conform to the rules already.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If golf rules gurus would change just one  rule, and allow 15 clubs in a bag I would be a happier golfer. As for illegal clubs, and balls, they are already in use by some folks. Way back when, some pros would shave their club faces to gain added yards. Some golf courses are using larger diameter holes in some events, and some are just drawing a 2 or 3 foot diameter ring around the existing "legal' size hole to help with easier tournaments. In some instances some courses use this ring to help with slow play.

There is a fun tournament scheduled in a few months where the golfers will be using a special golf ball that will go a lot longer than a regular, legal golf ball. It's very similar to the "super ball" some may bounced around when younger. I know using this ball I will get an extra 120 yards out of my drives. Some golfers will be over 400 yards.

I don't know if the R & D folks will every get a handle on accuracy. Rules, or no rules.  Just too many things the  golfer themselves have to do to control a club to get accuracy.

My guess is, without any rules, the game of golf would not resemble what we now have. Etiquette is a rule, and is a  big part of the game we play. It would give new meaning to the word "scramble". :~(

My gear wouldn't change, except I might put that two sided chipper back in my bag if I were allowed 16 clubs (it counts as two), Then I would have to learn how to hit it lefty, as well as learn how to chip with it,

I found a Polara ball last summer. I never hit it. I didn't know until later  it was a non-conforming no spin ball for hackers that slice. If I did, I might have played it, but I probably hit it away on the range as a warm up ball.

Without the rule against it, the adjustment features on the various clubs would become easier so they could be adjusted during the round.

Balls would go farther and straighter.

Square grooves would come back.

The long putter would continue.

Some would carry 15-20 clubs.

I WOULD STILL BE A BOGEY GOLFER!!!

I'd have a potato launcher with laser target acquisition for my driver and Rodney Dangerfield's putter from Caddy Shack. Would only need 2 "clubs". ;)

Note: This thread is 1540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!