IGNORED

Longest Personal Drive?

supercow
Note: This thread is 3348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Father's day weekend I hit a GPS measured 292 yard drive on a 393 yard par 4 - slightly down hill, firm fairway and wind aided.  My average total drive (carry + roll) is 230ish.

I then proceeded to hit my longest pitching wedge shot - 20 yards over the green.  Followed by a stubbed chip, a clean chip and a two putt.

Lord, I suck at golf :)

"Golf is a game in which you yell 'fore', shoot six and write down five." - Paul Harvey

Originally Posted by sean_miller

There are a couple good ones for sure, but I suspect most are either one-offs (flukes) or people not understanding the concept of dog leg holes. I encourage taking people's claims at face value, but gotta admit there are a couple who seem to have cut a dog leg corner but did not measure "as the crow flies".

My longest drive was last season, over a dogleg right.  400 yard hole, dogleg smack dab in the middle.  I cut the corner and wasn't sure if I cleared the trees or not, so I played a provisional.  While walking through the trees for a look, the group ahead was coming down the other side and said a ball landed up near the green while they were putting out.  Sure as hell, there it was!  I paced it off to the pin and later Google Earthed it.  378 +/-  straight line back to the tee.  I figure it must have clipped a tree and got a good bounce, and was definitely a fluke.  I was in a group of four at the time.  Before that, in 2010, 353 was the longest. Straight and hard fairway, and I had a decent wind to push it along.

My last round I played this season before injuring myself,  was on July 4th.  I drove an honest 326 that I measured with the G/Logix app.  I have had a few between the 280-300 yard mark over this season, but that was the longest measured drive that stayed in the fairway.  There will be no more Grip-it n' Rip-it for me this year, as I need to ease back into so as not to aggravate my ribcage.

Edit:  Those are total distances, not carry.

Originally Posted by moparman426

Quote:

There are a couple good ones for sure, but I suspect most are either one-offs (flukes) or people not understanding the concept of dog leg holes. I encourage taking people's claims at face value, but gotta admit there are a couple who seem to have cut a dog leg corner but did not measure "as the crow flies".

My longest drive was last season, over a dogleg right.  400 yard hole, dogleg smack dab in the middle.  I cut the corner and wasn't sure if I cleared the trees or not, so I played a provisional.  While walking through the trees for a look, the group ahead was coming down the other side and said a ball landed up near the green while they were putting out.  Sure as hell, there it was!  I paced it off to the pin and later Google Earthed it.  378 +/-  straight line back to the tee.  I figure it must have clipped a tree and got a good bounce, and was definitely a fluke.  I was in a group of four at the time.  Before that, in 2010, 353 was the longest. Straight and hard fairway, and I had a decent wind to push it along.

My last round I played this season before injuring myself,  was on July 4th.  I drove an honest 326 that I measured with the G/Logix app.  I have had a few between the 280-300 yard mark over this season, but that was the longest measured drive that stayed in the fairway.  There will be no more Grip-it n' Rip-it for me this year, as I need to ease back into so as not to aggravate my ribcage.

Edit:  Those are total distances, not carry.

I'll have to take your word for the accuracy of Google Earthing a drive, and I'm not calling your specific yardage wrong in this case, but in general I'll stand by my statement.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'll have to take your word for the accuracy of Google Earthing a drive, and I'm not calling your specific yardage wrong in this case, but in general I'll stand by my statement.

I am fine with that.  Pretty much all of the GPS phone apps also use Google Earth maps, so I guess none of my measured distances this year are all that accurate either.  Hence the "+/-", as it could have been 5 yards shorter or longer.   At least I didn't count the yardage as if I were following the fairway.....

Not sure how relevant this is but here goes. We use GPS tracking devices that locate like a phone does in our fleet vehicles, the credits we use to locate the device is actually billed as air time. They are accurate to about 40y per the manufacturer. When I locate a vehicle and I look at the birdeye view it's not uncommon for the vehicle to be in a parking lot but the gps location shows it to be in the field next to the parking lot or on top of a building.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

About 320 yards in Spain. Rock hard fairways. Longest one back in Finland was around 275 yards.

909D2 9.5 Stiff
Z-TX 3-H Stiff
Z-TX 4-PW Reg.
CG15 DSG 52 & 56
CG12 60 degree
Trinidad (CS)

In spain recently on a golfing trip and calculated a drive at 360 yards down wind, had like 55 yards in to a 415 yard par 4, flicked a sand wedge which I subsequently pushed to the right of the green and made a bogey 5! Was driving the ball so far that whole week, gained about 30 yards on average to what I get in England. This whole trip for me was an eye opener and time to realise it wasn't all about bombing the long ball but actually start working on aspects of my game and thinking about managing the course. Since I got back I started working on the clock drill for my wedges and now have accurate yardages for my PW, GW, 56 and 60 for both a 3/4 and full swing, brought my wedge game on a ton and my handicap from 10.8 to 8.5 in approx 3 weeks.

Right about 325 and it was slightly uphill.  490yd par five.  Crushed it and got a solid kick off of a hill.  Hit seven Iron from about 165 and went over by about a yard.  Still got the birdie, though.  Average drive is probably in the 260ish range.

i posted here before saying i had hit one that, per the yardage markers, came out to 350, but this afternoon i hit my longest drive that i've had a GPS on hand to accurately measure.  i should note, though, that we haven't had rain in i don't know how long now and the course is complete toast, so i got at least 20 extra yards worth of roll.

I couldnt tell you exactly. my Friend measured me at cart once about 311. I am sure I have had farther but if I touch 300 I am plenty happy but not to interested in trying to get my exact distance because I dont have a range finder and I am sure that the yardage wont be completely accruate. If my ball gets to 280 in the fairway I am content.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

• 1 year later...

Don't know exactly, I can break 300, but I've never really had a reliable way to measure. I may start measuring using golflogix now though. Up to this point I've only used it for yardages to the green and score card.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

With a 20-25 mph tailwind and the ground being hard, I had a 395 yard drive on Kittyhawk - Hawk hole #15. Nothing like having 110 yards in on a Par 5!

My personal best with out assistance from any wind, 340 yards on Community Golf Course hole #7. That was just stupid where that ball ended up.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

With a 20-25 mph tailwind and the ground being hard, I had a 395 yard drive on Kittyhawk - Hawk hole #15. Nothing like having 110 yards in on a Par 5!

My personal best with out assistance from any wind, 340 yards on Community Golf Course hole #7. That was just stupid where that ball ended up.

Yeah, Matt is crazy long off the tee.... I was right around 300 off the tee and he was probably around 330 off the tee on the same hole... Nothing like that to crush a guys spirit!

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

Yeah, Matt is crazy long off the tee.... I was right around 300 off the tee and he was probably around 330 off the tee on the same hole... Nothing like that to crush a guys spirit!

I don't feel bad for you.  If I was playing with you guys, I would have been around 225.  Talk about crushing a guys spirits...... :-(

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

345 yards.

The hole has two down hills, sandwiching a flatten area in the middle of fairway.   If you carry the 1st hill & get past the flatten area, you can catch the 2nd hill's slope and ball will run forever.   Normally, players don't go past the flatten area.   But my ball hit a dried patch of fairway, kicked forward, and landed past the flatten area.   I could not see it but the ball must have rolled quite a bit.   By the time I've came to my ball and took out my GPS, it showed the ball traveled 345 yards.   Like a typical bogey golfer, I proceeded to make a 7 from 65 yards out on this par 4.   345 yard drive was totally wasted.

I had a few 300 yarders, all downhill and down wind.   My drive "average" is about 210 yards, bad drives included.  I.e, the aforementioned 345 yard bomb was a freak accident.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!