IGNORED

Custom Fittings are OVERRATED?

Note: This thread is 3180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't see a fitting doing much, other than emptying your bank account if you don't have at least a half decent swing to start with.

How do you measure lie angle if no two swings are the same? IMHO early days for a starter all you need is an idea of swing speed, done easily enough in a big box store, to get you into the right flex shaft.

I have done bits and pieces fittings over the years, but I always end up in basically an R Flex, standard length

You still need a swing.

You still need talent.

You must put in intelligent work.

Sticks are not a magic wand.

You must have consistency in order to obtain a decent fit.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agree ... this is why I just don't think a full blown club fitting is necessary until a player has established a fairly low hcp & has a firmly rooted, repeatable swing.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

@kwnnylee - I see your point and also the lean towards the fitting side now. With my last set of clubs I bought stock but did have fit, re shafted, lie, etc, for a few reasons. Wasn't on my mind first set trying to whack the ball. With improvement and back leg shortening (operation) it was a must. Still tweaking a little. Doesn't really cost that much anyway plus it did help my game. But a good GOLF topic.

You still need a swing.

You still need talent.

You must put in intelligent work.

Sticks are not a magic wand.

Agree with you on this...especially the last statement...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Agree ... this is why I just don't think a full blown club fitting is necessary until a player has established a fairly low hcp & has a firmly rooted, repeatable swing.

On the other hand, properly fitted clubs can be a significant step toward improving ones consistency and swing mechanics.  If the club requires a player to make stance or swing adjustments to accommodate an improper fit, then it's going to be less comfortable to swing, which can in itself lead to inconsistency.  The cause and effect can swing both ways.

In the same way that a player starts out with a set of SGI irons, then can move more in the direction of GI to players irons as he progresses, so to can the fit of his clubs change, but that doesn't mean that getting fit earlier is wasted effort.  Even the most basic fitting can still be of benefit, and when a golf retailer like Golfsmith will offer a mid level fitting when you buy the clubs, I don't see the downside.  No extra charge and it certainly can't be a bad thing, so why not avail oneself of the service?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I seem to remember someone saying that even bad swings are typically consistent.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Beginners can benefit from a basic static fitting. The fitter checks the shaft length and lie angle of the clubs to make sure they fit your body proportions and stance. Also, the shaft flex should match your swing speed. And, the grip size should match your hand size.

Technically, the lie angle check is not static: A good fitter will put impact tape on the sole of the club and have you hit some shots off a lie board.  If the scuff marks from impact are in the center, you have a good lie angle. Scuffs toward heel (shaft) indicate too upright a lie, scuffs toward toe indicate too flat a lie. Lie angle tends to be fairly stable once a person has played a few rounds.

Note : Some fitters have begun using a "Sharpie mark" method for measuring lie angle. This involves putting a heavy Sharpie pen mark on the center of a ball. This is much like the line some golfers put on their ball for lining up putts, only heavier. The fitter then sets up the ball with the line facing straight up. The golfer hits the ball, and the Sharpie mark on the clubface indicates of the club has proper lie for the golfer.

Another golf blog had a brief story on this method; unfortunately, I can't find it!

If you get into dynamic fitting, this can take an entire day. This type of fitting delivers most benefit to someone who has a fairly stable swing... not a perfect one, just a stable one.

If you're a 20 HDCP golfer, you basically want clubs that won't hurt your game.

Drawing on what others have said, practice and lessons with clubs that fit you will help you improve your game. You still can't "buy" a good golf game.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I custom fit myself.

That's very interesting. I'd like to know more about how you did it and any advice you'd give for someone else to attempt the same.

I custom fit myself for 3 wedges and a putter, figuring I know my game better than a fitter would.

Firm believer in spending most of your money on lessons or playing rounds.  That said, I had a set of irons a few years ago that I just could not get to work the ball the way I wanted it to.  I am by no means a great golfer, but I am good enough to play a fade or draw when I want.  Got fitted for a better set of irons and it helped ALOT.  Got the right set of irons that do what I want. Did it turn me into a professional golfer, no.  What it did do is give me more confidence on the course which means more fun and better scores.

Recently, I decided to get a new driver.  Never had been fit for one. Always played with a stock driver.  I have never felt comfortable with my driver. Felt it was too long, could not feel the clubhead enough the time my release better, etc.  So, went to a very well known fitter in the area.  We tried all of the brands and several different shafts.  My numbers ended up being much better with the new drivers I was testing except a few.  We eliminated those I did not hit well and worked our way to what gave me the best numbers and what I felt most comfortable with.  We cut 1/2 inch off the shaft which made a big difference to me.  Ended up saving $200 in the process because I could have bought the more expensive one off the shelf that was not right for me.  Have played with this driver 5 rounds now and my confidence level has gone up a great deal.

Getting the right equipment fitted by the right person can make a big difference.  It may not shave off 5-10 stokes on your HC, but if it can give you more confidence in your mind to play better and have more fun on the course.  If you have the money to spend then its worth it.

The only thing that I do laugh at are those folks who have more money than sense who will buy the newest equipment every year thinking its going to change their game and end up trading it in after a few rounds of bad play.  Some folks simply refuse to realize they need help with their swings.  I know one older gentleman who has a lot of money, is as hard headed as they come, thinks all golf instructors are rip offs, knows everything about golf, and refuses to listen to anyone.  Plays a massive slice, shoots anywhere from 90-100, buys new equipment every year, but enjoys playing.  So, to him, its worth it.  To each their own.

So, everyone these days in on the custom-club-fitting bandwagon. However, I don't see much benefit.

I play golf with around 10 guys on a regular basis. All 10 have been fitted for clubs over the last 3 years. A few of these guys also spent roughly $600 for Edel putters, too.

And they have something else in common (other than custom fitted clubs)-

THEY ALL STILL SUCK AT GOLF.

It's damn funny when someone arrives at the course for the first time with their custom clubs and/or putter, only to watch them slice their drive OB, blade their mid irons, chunk wedges, and 3-putt with their $600 putters.

And they all say, "I love my new clubs/putter." But their scores suck.

Perhaps time and money would be better spent on lessons and time at the range, or practice green?

I'm 6'6" with a 35"/36" sleeve length.  I'll bet custom fitting makes a lot more difference to a guy like me than it does to a guy who's 5'9" and fits comfortably into standard length/lie clubs.  When I play off-the-rack clubs, I look like a baseball catcher squatting down to pick a ball up off the ground.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

False dichotomy fallacy.

Why not try to offer some assistance to whoever you were replying to, instead of showing off the new words you learned today while saying nothing intelligible? :blink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Lee

So, everyone these days in on the custom-club-fitting bandwagon. However, I don't see much benefit.

I play golf with around 10 guys on a regular basis. All 10 have been fitted for clubs over the last 3 years. A few of these guys also spent roughly $600 for Edel putters, too.

It's damn funny when someone arrives at the course for the first time with their custom clubs and/or putter, only to watch them slice their drive OB, blade their mid irons, chunk wedges, and 3-putt with their $600 putters.

Perhaps time and money would be better spent on lessons and time at the range, or practice green?

I'm 6'6" with a 35"/36" sleeve length.  I'll bet custom fitting makes a lot more difference to a guy like me than it does to a guy who's 5'9" and fits comfortably into standard length/lie clubs.  When I play off-the-rack clubs, I look like a baseball catcher squatting down to pick a ball up off the ground.

A lot more depends on how your body is proportioned than your height vs. arm length.  I am 6'2" with a 33" arm, but I also only have a 30" inseam, so I've been able to get away with a more or less standard length and lie.  I'm now awaiting delivery of my first set of fitted irons, but even after fitting, they are only 1/2" longer than standard, with only a 1 degree upright lie.  It's entirely possible that you may only need a lie adjustment, or only a minimal length increase - impossible to say just from a conversation.  A proper fitting may make quite a difference, or it may not - the clubfitter measures you just standing to see where your arms hang from the ground, and then makes makes some swing measurements as well.  During my fitting at Golfsmith, I probably hit 150 balls on the launch monitor along with the lie and impact tape measurements.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

False dichotomy fallacy.

It tickled me a little and probably was correct because their wasn't much to debate or offer assistance from a skewed prospective. But that's just my POV.

To me, since custom fitting is free most places if you purchase the clubs from them, it is definitely not over rated. Making sure the clubs you are purchasing fit you the best is the smart thing to do.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Me use too big words. Me explain now.... Lol it's not that complicated. He is presenting his argument as an "either/or" proposition, I am 6'4 and need to have my clubs fitted. It doesn't mean that I get a fitted set and am all of a sudden a great golfer, but it now puts me in a position where lessons will be more beneficial. That's like saying that people picking up running don't need $100 shoes and that they could just go to WalMart and buy $10 shoes bc running is all about actually running with proper form. That is irrelevant bc while yes, you can run with cheap shoes, it would be better to have shoes that are more comfortable and likely to help the runner as he/she learns the proper technique.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duff McGee

False dichotomy fallacy.

Why not try to offer some assistance to whoever you were replying to, instead of showing off the new words you learned today while saying nothing intelligible?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Lee

So, everyone these days in on the custom-club-fitting bandwagon. However, I don't see much benefit.

A lot more depends on how your body is proportioned than your height vs. arm length.  I am 6'2" with a 33" arm, but I also only have a 30" inseam, so I've been able to get away with a more or less standard length and lie.  I'm now awaiting delivery of my first set of fitted irons, but even after fitting, they are only 1/2" longer than standard, with only a 1 degree upright lie.  It's entirely possible that you may only need a lie adjustment, or only a minimal length increase - impossible to say just from a conversation.  A proper fitting may make quite a difference, or it may not - the clubfitter measures you just standing to see where your arms hang from the ground, and then makes makes some swing measurements as well.  During my fitting at Golfsmith, I probably hit 150 balls on the launch monitor along with the lie and impact tape measurements.

I have a 36" inseam.  I was fitted for my current irons at 5 degrees upright and +1 1/2" (using static measurements, a lie board and a launch monitor).  That's a pretty significant difference from off the rack clubs.

My point was simply that it's ridiculous to issue a blanket condemnation of custom fitting.  It's not a magic pill to fix a bad swing, but there are certainly many people who benefit from it.

• Upvote 3

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Note: This thread is 3180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!