IGNORED

2015 Quicken Loans National Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by skydog

That's what it looks like to me so that's what I'm going to call it. It may not look like that to you, that's fine, but to me it looks like scooping and it looks terrible IMO.

Looks can be deceiving. The body can do some funky stuff but the club actually doesn't do much. You could probably find two golfers who clubheads travel nearly the same path but the body might look completely different.

Tiger wasn't scooping his drives.

Words like cover, slot, scoop, hit down. These words are subject to interpretation. If you mean his lead wrist is extended/cupped, right/trail wrist bowed, than I totally agree w @saevel25 and @iacas , Woods is not "scooping" his drives.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you mean his lead wrist is extended/cupped, right/trail wrist bowed, than I totally agree w @saevel25 and @iacas, Woods is not "scooping" his drives.

It's a combination of the lead wrist being cupped, the right arm (and in turn, the club head) not being fully released and the huge dip his body makes that cause the swing to look 'scooping' to me. Again, I don't profess to be a swing expert but I have been around the game my entire life, used to marvel at Tiger's old swing, and know when something doesn't look right (even if I don't know how to fix it). Tiger's driver swing doesn't look  right to me...call it whatever you want (scooping or otherwise), bottom line, I don't think the swing looks good, and I don't think I'm in the minority of golf fans who think this.

That's a fine statement to make when the results are good (a la Furyk or Trevino swings- ugly or unconventional to look at but they get the clubhead in the right spot); problem is Tiger's results are bad and the swing looks bad (to me, at least). When you have both these things, then I think you have a problem. I'm not saying the dude is intentionally 'sccoping' his drives, but that's what the swing looks like to me so that's the best way I know to characterize it.

That's funny because this is the first I've seen his swing in a long time and I know exactly what you are talking about.. There is that moment right before impact that looks like he is scooping it! lol.. Interesting.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Quote:

Originally Posted by skydog

That's a fine statement to make when the results are good (a la Furyk or Trevino swings- ugly or unconventional to look at but they get the clubhead in the right spot); problem is Tiger's results are bad and the swing looks bad (to me, at least). When you have both these things, then I think you have a problem. I'm not saying the dude is intentionally 'sccoping' his drives, but that's what the swing looks like to me so that's the best way I know to characterize it.

That's funny because this is the first I've seen his swing in a long time and I know exactly what you are talking about.. There is that moment right before impact that looks like he is scooping it! lol.. Interesting.

Are you saying you can see what his hands look like at impact with the naked eye in real time?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Are you saying you can see what his hands look like at impact with the naked eye in real time?

No not all, I'm not saying anything about his hand position at 1000 fps.. I'm saying that when I saw it looks to me that he has a move down and then almost like he is trying to lift it in the air.. or scooping it up.. I'm sure it is nothing like that in slow motion, but then again only us geeks who look at slow motion video care.. Edit: who cares what terms anyone uses anyway, I don't see the big deal?

Eyad

No not all, I'm not saying anything about his hand position at 1000 fps.. I'm saying that when I saw it looks to me that he has a move down and then almost like he is trying to lift it in the air.. or scooping it up..

I'm sure it is nothing like that in slow motion, but then again only us geeks who look at slow motion video care..

Edit: who cares what terms anyone uses anyway, I don't see the big deal?

Lowering down then powering up with your legs isn't scooping.

Look at Rory's swing, is that considered scooping to you?

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Lowering down then powering up with your legs isn't scooping. Look at Rory's swing, is that considered scooping to you?

I'll take a look and let you know.. [video]http://youtu.be/DyrY97vaDis[/video] Not the same sorry.. There is just something that happens at the bottom that's distinctly different to me.. Oh well.. I don't really care either way.

Eyad

Lowering down then powering up with your legs isn't scooping.

Look at Rory's swing, is that considered scooping to you?

IMO Rory's swing is almost the antithesis of Tiger's right now and reminds me a little of the old Tiger swing. Rory generate power from the ground up, yes, but he doesn't drop his body like Tiger's and he fully releases the club head (better than anyone in the game IMO).

IMO Rory's swing is almost the antithesis of Tiger's right now and reminds me a little of the old Tiger swing. Rory generate power from the ground up, yes, but he doesn't drop his body like Tiger's and he fully releases the club head (better than anyone in the game IMO).

Maybe we are talking about two different things.

To me, Rory drops his body/head A LOT on his downswing and then springs up.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

The only term that I use to describe Tiger's swing is-

S H I T

Tiger is the greatest golfer I ever saw, and now he is a punch line. It's sad, but also fascinating to watch. I can't wait until Whistling Straights. It's gonna be a train wreck.

So a s h i t swing produces a score of -11 for three out of four rounds?

Let's not overdo it....his short game saved him a lot, and his putting was great. The driver needs work, and I feel we've been saying that for 6 months. Even his straight drives, some of his swings weren't pretty. I've been saying it for some time and I've heard Paul Azinger and Nick Faldo say the same thing...he still looks like he's "scooping" his driver..his irons not as much. I don't know if he's defending his back or Como's teaching him a bad technique, but it just doesn't look right. Now on the range I've seen him and he's not scooping it as much...instead he's attacking the ball more.... and it translates into better drives. On the back nine Saturday he was attacking it more. But what makes Tiger so great is the impact he has on the ball and the follow through. When he swings down on it, he looks like the old Tiger. But too many of his shots he looks like he's swinging up more than down.

So a s h i t swing produces a score of -11 for three out of four rounds?

That's a good example of how far Tiger has fallen. Throw out his worst round and he still isn't good enough.

That's a good example of how far Tiger has fallen. Throw out his worst round and he still isn't good enough.

But that doesn't mean anything? There have been plenty of instances where he shot well and still lost. It's not a commentary on how far he's fallen, because he'd lost like that in past.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Quick question. With having 8 wins and the draw he would bring. Is Bridgestone not a tournament that has sponsor exceptions? Just curious.

It's a WGC event ... you have to qualify.

Note: This thread is 3159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!