IGNORED

Titleist Introduces 716 Line of Irons and Hybrids

Note: This thread is 3073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So my current setup is Titleist 710 CB's 4-PW +3/4" 1* upright with X100 shafts soft stepped once.

My new setup is Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW +1/2" standard lie, X100 shafts soft stepped once. I hit the new CB, AP2 and the Ping I Series. 7 iron with all of them in the 175-180 carry range, and I had the best numbers with the AP2's as far as consistency and spin. I was expecting close to $1400 with tax but later realized that was if I got the 3 iron as well. $1150 out the door and should have them shipped to my house from Titleist in 7-10 days. Very excited.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I dropped by the PGATSS and took a look at the Titleist hybrids - H1 and H2 - they are very handsome clubs, and I liked the slightly rounded sole. Some lucky golfers will have a great looking club.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 2 weeks later...

Titleist did a free fitting recently that I was able to attend and I told them I was looking to get the hybrid and irons and the rep said that what is good for me is the AP1's with an XP 90g stiff shaft and add 1/2" in length for the irons.

The rep fit me for the H2 hybrid at 23 degrees with a stiff 70g blue diamond shaft at the D4 setting.

It was the first time I'd been fitted and it was awesome!  I've been going on an on about these irons ad nauseam and she asked me when I got back if I just wanted money from her family to go towards golf equipment.  I said yes and am excited about getting these bad boys!

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Congrats.  I, too, just got my set of 716 AP1 with XP90 S300.  Played 27 holes with them so far and I like them.  Can't say I love them just yet.  I think the biggest issue is going from DGS300 (130gms) in my 712 AP2 to the XP90 S300 (97gms) in these.  So, I'm having some timing and feel differences to overcome.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

• Administrator

As I mentioned in the chat room… Probably in two years… fall of 2016 for the 2017 season. It will probably be called the 917.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Played my first round with the ap2 irons yesterday. Love them. Love them a lot. Maybe I was just striking the ball well yesterday but I hit them a ton better than my g25 irons 

2 hours ago, dsal89 said:

Played my first round with the ap2 irons yesterday. Love them. Love them a lot. Maybe I was just striking the ball well yesterday but I hit them a ton better than my g25 irons 

That's awesome. 

If you don't mind my asking, where did you play and what did you shoot?

Christian

4 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

That's awesome. 

If you don't mind my asking, where did you play and what did you shoot?

I played this course called scherwood concessions. Little par 72 course near my house. Rating of 70.4. 

Shot an 87. 41 on the front and a darn 46 on the back. Putting wasn't there all day and driving fell apart on the back. I def had my misfits but I had more good contact shots than poor ones. And the good ones just felt great. 

Just now, dsal89 said:

I played this course called scherwood concessions. Little par 72 course near my house. Rating of 70.4. 

Shot an 87. 41 on the front and a darn 46 on the back. Putting wasn't there all day and driving fell apart on the back. I def had my misfits but I had more good contact shots than poor ones. And the good ones just felt great. 

That's pretty dope.  What range of irons did you get? 

Christian

8 minutes ago, dsal89 said:

5-pw. Then w hybrid which isn't in yet ?

Yeah, I'm thinking of getting 5-AW in the AP1's with the H2 hybrid for Christmas.  I know they're different from AP2's but when I demo'd them, they felt real good 

Christian

7 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Yeah, I'm thinking of getting 5-AW in the AP1's with the H2 hybrid for Christmas.  I know they're different from AP2's but when I demo'd them, they felt real good 

Ap1 definitely felt nice but I just loved the look of ap2. And I figured "hey why not, lets splurge in my first set of forged irons"

7 hours ago, dsal89 said:

Ap1 definitely felt nice but I just loved the look of ap2. And I figured "hey why not, lets splurge in my first set of forged irons"

Yeah, I agree, I like the look for AP2's more but for my HC, I think the AP2's wouldn't be the best ones for me.

Christian

I also am liking my AP2 a lot better than my old CB's. I hit one off the toe the other day and it went considerably further than my old CB's would have gone. Happy with my distance maintained and still being able to work the ball plenty....plus the added help/forgiveness the new weighting gives me.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

16 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

My $.02, get 'em.  I went from 690.mb - 735cm - 712 AP2 and the 716 AP1 are "legit".  I was able to hit some knock-down shots in addition to low draws from underneath trees.  Stock shots are a little higher than I'm used to, but nothing ballooning.

Also, I knew by feel, where I missed the strike on the clubface, high, low and toe.  For some reason, I have a harder time feeling heel shots with irons, but that's been consistent with all my irons over the years.

Overall, I'm very impressed with these clubs.  I was hesitant moving from forged clubs fitted with DGS300 because that's what I've been playing with for the past 13 years.  But, I took a leap of faith and gave a cast club fitted with a lightweight shaft a try.  I think it turned out well.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

22 minutes ago, Tomboys said:

My $.02, get 'em.  I went from 690.mb - 735cm - 712 AP2 and the 716 AP1 are "legit".  I was able to hit some knock-down shots in addition to low draws from underneath trees.  Stock shots are a little higher than I'm used to, but nothing ballooning.

Also, I knew by feel, where I missed the strike on the clubface, high, low and toe.  For some reason, I have a harder time feeling heel shots with irons, but that's been consistent with all my irons over the years.

Overall, I'm very impressed with these clubs.  I was hesitant moving from forged clubs fitted with DGS300 because that's what I've been playing with for the past 13 years.  But, I took a leap of faith and gave a cast club fitted with a lightweight shaft a try.  I think it turned out well.

Nice, thanks for the review!

I'm going from an non-brand name boxed starter set from a Sports Authority that I got 10 years ago so this would be my first "real" set of clubs.  I'm just glad the winter season is over so I don't feel I'm missing on prime golf time and will be able to use them fresh next March/April. Although, I'll probably be chomping at the bit if I'm unable to play with them for a few months, haha.

Christian

Actually, another thing that I forgot to mention, I was fitted for the s300 stock shaft. I tried others but this was just the shaft that I hit best. I love the everything about how it feels. My ball flight is incredibly close to where I want it to be. 

Obviously my 9 irons and pw got a little higher than I'd love but I can work on that  

Note: This thread is 3073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!