IGNORED

My Swing (mslice15)

mslice15
Note: This thread is 3086 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

went to get fitted for a driver today, I'm a standard lie, 9.5 degree loft Titleist 915 D3. Mitsubishi Stiff shaft. Short 1", but I think I will be fine with just 1/2" off. My swing speed was on average 125, with me reaching 139 and the lowest being 119. Attached is an image of the spread of ALL the drivers I hit today, with the straightest and longest being the Titleist.

Big swing change, a lot of face angle stuff, trying to promote draw flight. Worked on keeping my out to in path, but increasing it from 1° to about 3-4° to make it easier to keep the face closed to my path to allow me to draw the ball. Receiving video later tonight. Last round played I shot a +3 38

• 2 weeks later...

I have a swing question. It's kind of complex so bear with me if I don't word it right. I have a habit of dropping my right shoulder when I swing so that my shoulders are almost perpendicular to the ground. (Pic Related: Left side of before lesson, right side is what my instructor calls "half fixed" because he says I still drop my shoulder too much) It's a habit I took from years of playing hockey. My question is, is it bad that my shoulder comes down like this? My ball flight is extremely consistent, I play a small fade and my dispersion is relatively small to where I started, and I like the way I'm playing. I notice that many professional golfers do this, and the example I have is rickie fowler. his shoulders aren't as bad as my first image but they're about the same as my second image(from what I see). Is this shoulder drop a normal thing to have? P.S. Sorry they're screenshots I'm away from home watching the pga event.

Never fix a swing if there's no faulty ball flight related to it. Each swing is unique like a thumb print. Unless you are inconsistent or you don't like the flight of your ball, don't fix it.

Never fix a swing if there's no faulty ball flight related to it. Each swing is unique like a thumb print. Unless you are inconsistent or you don't like the flight of your ball, don't fix it.

the best part about my swing is that my mishit, while it's technically a slice, is a fade that starts slightly left and will land about 10 yards right of where I'm aiming. typical golfers I play with(my dad) slice the ball anywhere from 25-50 yards right. That's why I refer to it more as a heavy fade than a slice My mishit is very predictable so I know how to play it well. The only problem I have is with my driver and it's just a slight push fade so I counter it by lining up a little more to the left.

My question is, is it bad that my shoulder comes down like this? My ball flight is extremely consistent, I play a small fade and my dispersion is relatively small to where I started, and I like the way I'm playing.

Is this shoulder drop a normal thing to have?

The shoulder should be lower than the left at impact, you rotate on a tilted angle. Looking at the pic it does look too steep but it's tough to just evaluate whether something is right or wrong based on a still photo. Every swing has it's own little quirks but it would be worth taking some time to look into WHY the shoulder drops because the shoulders getting that steep will generally cause some path and contact problems.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...

Am I Being Taught Wrong?

I ask this question because my current instructor seems to teach me stuff that is almost opposite of what is written in Lowest Score Wins and from other members here at TST.

I will embed 4 of my lessons at the end of this post so bear with me.

• The first sign that i had of him teaching me stuff that i thought was wonky was when he taught me the backswing he wanted my head and shoulders to move to my right, and in the downswing i would then continue to move my head towards the target, only looking at the ball until the top of my downswing, after which i would look towards the target through my swing. 
  • In the same lesson he told me that i need to "Choke the Sh*t out of my club". I tend to have a very soft grip with my clubs, and he didn't really like that.
  • He told me repeatedly that anyone who tells me i need to hit the driver on the upswing is "Stupid, and doesn't understand the golf swing"

There are more things than this, but i could only come up with these right now.

Here are the lessons i promised to embed, and bear with me. The audio is GARBAGE. They're also in chronological order.

• Administrator

Well, I'll be honest, if not brief:

• I had a hard time wanting to watch the videos because of the audio quality.
  • What I did watch I didn't particularly like.
  • The "hitting up with the driver" thing is easily disproven as far as "facts" and "distance." It really has nothing at all to do with "understanding the golf swing." I don't teach every student to hit up, but I teach most of them to do so.
  • I didn't like some of the still frames in some of the videos.

That said, if someone can power through the videos and show us specifics, we can debate and discuss them. Again, I couldn't take the horrible audio quality, sorry.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Am I Being Taught Wrong?

I ask this question because my current instructor seems to teach me stuff that is almost opposite of what is written in Lowest Score Wins and from other members here at TST.

The simple answer is yes. He's wrong about the posture, the driver stuff and how much he wants the head to move on the backswing and downswing. I agree you needed to turn more and not tilt tilt the spine towards the target but the fix is certainly not to move your head a few feet off the ball, something NO good golfer does. You can still create that axis tilt (spine tilted right) and make a full, centered turn.

mslice_1.thumb.jpg.91825d1d190ffbfdd60f0m_slice_2.thumb.jpg.88bd20b6deaacb3d868f

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Well, I'll be honest, if not brief:

• I had a hard time wanting to watch the videos because of the audio quality.
  • What I did watch I didn't particularly like.
  • The "hitting up with the driver" thing is easily disproven as far as "facts" and "distance." It really has nothing at all to do with "understanding the golf swing." I don't teach every student to hit up, but I teach most of them to do so.
  • I didn't like some of the still frames in some of the videos.

That said, if someone can power through the videos and show us specifics, we can debate and discuss them. Again, I couldn't take the horrible audio quality, sorry.

In terms of the driver he said that you should only teach people to hit down because you have to hit down to create backspin, and backspin causes the ball to fly up. While physics agrees that backspin says the ball will go up, when you swing up you still create backspin, unless the world has suddenly changed.

It was hard for me to stand it as well, no need to apologize.

The simple answer is yes. He's wrong about the posture, the driver stuff and how much he wants the head to move on the backswing and downswing. I agree you needed to turn more and not tilt tilt the spine towards the target but the fix is certainly not to move your head a few feet off the ball, something NO good golfer does. You can still create that axis tilt (spine tilted right) and make a full, centered turn.

mslice_1.thumb.jpg.91825d1d190ffbfdd60f0m_slice_2.thumb.jpg.88bd20b6deaacb3d868f

I actually had an argument with him about this, since virtually nobody on tour moves their head more than a couple inches, why would that be "incorrect"?

About posture; earlier in this thread you told me to work on having a bend in my lower back. This is hard for me, coming from my years of playing hockey where having a 'Tall Chest' is necessary and straightening your back is almost a must, I can't seem to break this habit.

In regards to spine angle and my head, as soon as I find a new way to record my swing I will so I can force myself to work on it, but as of right now the best I have is feel, and feel ain't real.

I think I'm going to shop around for instructors, but ATM I don't really have the financial means to actually go to an instructor. Starting college in less than 6 months won't help things too much either.

Thanks a lot guys,

Matt

• Administrator

In terms of the driver he said that you should only teach people to hit down because you have to hit down to create backspin, and backspin causes the ball to fly up.

Uhhh… yeah. I guess he ignores the fact that loft is greater than your AoA…

I think I'm going to shop around for instructors, but ATM I don't really have the financial means to actually go to an instructor. Starting college in less than 6 months won't help things too much either.

Give evolvr.com a look. 

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3086 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!