IGNORED

New Windows 10 - Discussions

Club Rat
Note: This thread is 2709 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. New Windows 10 OS

• Like? Pros
    • Dis-Like? Cons
    • Will make determination later.

Here's an update to my Windows 10 mouse issues.

A couple of weeks ago my USB DAC stopped working and the left button on my USB wireless mouse stopped working. It seems like recent updates to windows 10 have disabled support for older versions of USB protocols or something. Both the mouse and the DAC behave the same regardless if I plug them into the USB 3 port or the USB 2 port in my laptop.

I got a new mouse and that seems to work OK (my old mouse was 6 years old). Hopefully the makers of the DAC will come out with a new driver or I can figure out how to re-enable whatever the updates disabled.

• 2 weeks later...
I still hate the auto update such is fate Not a haiku.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hate that it is supposed to update itself automatically and yet I often get a popup message in the right corner saying something like "updates failed - click here to do the update manually"

• 1 month later...

Not happy w/Microsoft's reneging on its OneDrive plans. 30 free GB no more - it's 5 GB. Not a big deal to subscribe to its entry level monthly plan but it sets a precedent. I actually like the interface and I'm not using Windows phone and not a heavy Win10 user. Amazon has an unlimited cloud plan. Is that next?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I don't know where I found it. I was looking up Bootcamp for Mac. They had some benchmark testing for Windows 10 and Mac OS on the 15" MacBook Pro. Windows 10 ran equally or slightly better in benchmarks on a MacBook than the Mac OS did. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I finally upgraded my desktop to 10 last week. I actually don't mind it at all. It is much better than 8 and 8.1 and should be an easier transition for people coming from windows 7.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

18 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I don't know where I found it. I was looking up Bootcamp for Mac. They had some benchmark testing for Windows 10 and Mac OS on the 15" MacBook Pro. Windows 10 ran equally or slightly better in benchmarks on a MacBook than the Mac OS did. 

That's hard to believe, I don't doubt the article or multiple versions of it were written though. One thing I'm sure of is that ... wait, this is getting off-topic, I'll be short - battery life will be a hell of a lot better w/OS X. One of the areas where OS X shines.

Steve

8 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

That's hard to believe, I don't doubt the article or multiple versions of it were written though. One thing I'm sure of is that ... wait, this is getting off-topic, I'll be short - battery life will be a hell of a lot better w/OS X. One of the areas where OS X shines.

Yeah, and battery life is like dead last for me in terms of what is important to me in computers..

i haven't updated to 10 yet because I am concerned about any upgrade of OS, but I will definitely review it after and compare to 8.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

17 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Just to clarify a bit. 

It was Windows 8.1, and it was measuring processor performance not system performance. For what ever that is worth ;) 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Just to clarify a bit. 

It was Windows 8.1, and it was measuring processor performance not system performance. For what ever that is worth ;) 

Then the OS is pretty irrelevant.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 year later...

was not sure where to place this post, but I guess it fits here.

Please excuse my naieveity but I am wondering how safe Cloud, and in particular One Drive is in storing data. The reason I ask, is that in case of computer crashes, and the potential for data being lost, I need a place to retrieve it from. Is it difficult for "others" to access my data w/o permission?  Notwithstanding the premise that virtually "everything" on the internet is at risk if someone wants it bad enough.  Just like home security.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

42 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

Please excuse my naieveity but I am wondering how safe Cloud, and in particular One Drive is in storing data. The reason I ask, is that in case of computer crashes, and the potential for data being lost, I need a place to retrieve it from. Is it difficult for "others" to access my data w/o permission?  Notwithstanding the premise that virtually "everything" on the internet is at risk if someone wants it bad enough.  Just like home security.

The main players, iCloud, One Drive, Dropbox are as secure as you password is for the most part. Dropbox had some issues, but they have been resolved as far as I know.

- Shane

@CarlSpackler Thanks, Carl.  At the present, I try to place important files on a flash stick. I kind of remember in the past, I had the ability to make corrections to a spreadsheet or document on my desk top and it would automatically make the same correction to the linked file stored on Skydrive. I seem to have lost that feature since (or just do not know how).

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Just now, Hacker James said:

@CarlSpackler Thanks, Carl.  At the present, I try to place important files on a flash stick. I kind of remember in the past, I had the ability to make corrections to a spreadsheet or document on my desk top and it would automatically make the same correction to the linked file stored on Skydrive. I seem to have lost that feature since (or just do not know how).

I have been maintaining my personal docs in Google docs. I can update them from any computer and don't have to worry about having anything installed.

- Shane

Just now, CarlSpackler said:

I have been maintaining my personal docs in Google docs. I can update them from any computer and don't have to worry about having anything installed.

thats good to know. I am a bit leery of Google in general as I have received a few viruses or PUP's, but it may or may not have been related to Google. I do know that one of my spreadsheets done in Open Office format did not d/l well in MS Xcel, and the recipient had to do as you suggest and used Google Sheets.

"James"

2 hours ago, Hacker James said:

Just keep in mind, even though it's in the cloud it's not really a backup.  All of the major Cloud services generally allow you to restore files that get deleted for one reason or another for something like 30 days.  However, what happens if a file gets changed without you realizing it?  I believe with OneDrive, you'd have to rely on Previous Versions with your desktop, which may or may not be turned on. Either way, it pays to make sure that your critical files are in more than one place.

@drmevo  Good points. I will b/u on 16gb flash stick as well. (it's easier anyway).

"James"

Note: This thread is 2709 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!