Duff McGee

Lost Ball Rule is Stupid

433 posts / 21639 viewsLast Reply

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Are you saying you don't do both at the same time?? ;)

The way I "unsubscribe" from threads after I lose interest is I just don't click on them anymore. :)

It sends alerts if I'm subscribed.

To take a line from Seinfeld "my phone isn't flagged" :)

Click on the subscriptions button on the top right of the screen. Click "remove" to unsubscribe. You can also change your notifications in the Profile section to reduce the amount of e-mail you get.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Click on the subscriptions button on the top right of the screen. Click "remove" to unsubscribe. You can also change your notifications in the Profile section to reduce the amount of e-mail you get.

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Thanks

There's also "Block Member" in the pulldown below their username.  Makes some threads considerably shorter and more readable. ;-)

It sends alerts if I'm subscribed.

To take a line from Seinfeld "my phone isn't flagged" :)

You can turn off all of those alerts.

There's also "Block Member" in the pulldown below their username.  Makes some threads considerably shorter and more readable.

Does it really?  Honest question because I've never blocked anybody.  I feel like it would makes things really annoying because you're only seeing part of the discussion.

There's also "Block Member" in the pulldown below their username.  Makes some threads considerably shorter and more readable. ;-)

Thanks. Luckily no one has been that much of an ass yet. :)

Thanks. Luckily no one has been that much of an ass yet. :)

Challenge accepted!!!!!

You can turn off all of those alerts.

Does it really?  Honest question because I've never blocked anybody.  I feel like it would makes things really annoying because you're only seeing part of the discussion.

I agree.  Like listening to one side of phone conversation.  Sometimes you get the gist of the discussion, but you can miss a crucial comment that puts you right out of the topic.

On 8/2/2015 at 5:46 PM, Duff McGee said:

I just don't understand what most people do when they hit a ball and they think it should be just fine only to drive or walk up and not be able to locate the ball. Why isn't there a rule that addresses this in a realistic way? No way in hell is it acceptable for someone to walk all the way back to where they hit the shot on a crowded course after walking all the way to the green. People will say "hit a provisional" but what about situations like today hitting to an elevated green and I BARELY missed the green to the left but I didn't know that it was such a steep slope (first time there) and that I careened off into the thick woods. We had people right behind us waiting. I wasn't about to go drive all the way back and hit another ball right next to them. Do the rules ever address this in a more practical way? It would seem even a two stroke drop penalty would be more sensible like an assumed unplayable.

I really think in casual play at a public course, the club rule ahould be to agree on is allow a free drop in the vicinity of the ball if the ball should otherwise be found given more time...they preach all this stuff about increasing pace of play and such but then ur assessed a stroke for losing a ball where it's probably just right under your feet buried somewhere, often times because the rough isnt properly maintained AND there are 4 people behind you...now, clearly in a tournament or on the PGA, it cant be allowed but it's usually a non-issue because someone, somewhere will find it anyways...but on a Saturday morning at a muni, it should be free drop after a 3 min search, thats how we play and it really doesnt affect my score that differently than when I play a tournament (because my ball always gets found there)...its not like ur moving it onto the fairway or closer to the hole, if anything it encourages pace of play at public courses 

Edited by HitTheMark

On 8/3/2015 at 9:45 AM, newtogolf said:

I don't care how crowded a course is, hitting a provisional shouldn't take more than a minute max and solves all the problems the OP had unless of course the provisional is mishit and ends up lost too.  By that point you're probably at or near ESC so you just drive to the next hole.

Unless I'm playing with a forecaddie or someone can see my ball off the fairway I hit a provisional.  I've been burned too many times thinking I'd find my ball and couldn't.

Agree, my problem is if the damn ball goes just off the fairway in rough and you simply just "dont find it"...you only have 3 min to look now by rule...but that ball is there and given an empty course, I'd search and search for it till I found it...but crowded course I'm dropping for free...luckily driver is my strong point 

On 8/6/2015 at 7:26 AM, DrvFrShow said:

Trouble losing balls? You know I just did a little experiment this summer. When I replaced my sunglasses I got them made in this tint:

3c031e1c_nike-golf-x2-pro-e-ev0873-sun-glasses.jpeg

My optometrist was familiar with the lenses and we reused my Ray-Ban frames with lenses in this tint. I love them. This tint highlights white. I noticed this when i wore them while driving home. White lines on the road appeared to stand out. White cars stood out as well. Imagine if instead of yellow sun we had a white sun. That's the way the world would look.

Colors were definitely shifted slightly, but your brain does compensate so you know green is still green. When you take them off the world looks very yellow for a while. I haven't lost a ball that I haven't hit in the water since. Well one. I saw it sail clear through the trees and didn't bother to look - easier to re-hit. I can spot other people's white balls on the golden hard pan 200 yds away.

With my normal sunglasses or without sunglasses I would lose about one or two balls a round. The ball hit in the tall rough? Not a problem. In about two minutes, I'll find it.

Brown tints, while they make the world a happier place and are quite popular don't do this. I've had them and my eyes just aren't that sensitive.

So if you have a problem finding your ball on the fairway, rough, or in the woods, these might be worth a try.

Broooo if this really works I'll happily buy

On 8/10/2015 at 7:28 PM, ColinL said:

I didn't say it was the same as the chip, just that the Decision needs to be considered because of the implication that making it easier to find a ball as a result of using a device is accepted as  assisting your play.  And you've considered it and come up with a valid point of view based on an essential difference between the devices.

It has been considered they are used on tour 

On 8/12/2015 at 9:10 AM, Fourputt said:

Except that the rule was written for amateur golfers long before there was a pro tour, at least 200 years before there were cameras and galleries.  Those things are relatively new phenomena compared to when the rule was conceived.

Exactly its 200 years old...written at a time when blacks werent allowed to play and women couldnt join country clubs...the entire problem with golf is the communities (well then older communities unwillingness to change)...at my country club myself and like 10 other people are the only ones under 40...we talk all the time about how we canr waitnto actually modernize our club...

44 minutes ago, HitTheMark said:

I really think in casual play at a public course, the club rule ahould be to agree on is allow a free drop in the vicinity of the ball if the ball should otherwise be found given more time...

See the new 2019 Rules of Golf and the likely enacted Local Rule for league and casual play. Two strokes, drop where you think the ball is lost or behind there, on an arc all the way to the fairway.

Search time is limited to 3:00 in 2019, too.

they preach all this stuff about increasing pace of play and such but then ur assessed a stroke for losing a ball where it's probably just right under your feet buried somewhere, often times because the rough isnt properly maintained AND there are 4 people behind you...

Thing is, the game is about hitting YOUR BALL into the hole. When you lose YOUR BALL, you don't and shouldn't just get to fluff another ball up in some place where you "think" it should be.

Few people lose the ball in the fairway. Hit it there.

now, clearly in a tournament or on the PGA, it cant be allowed but it's usually a non-issue because someone, somewhere will find it anyways...but on a Saturday morning at a muni, it should be free drop after a 3 min search, thats how we play and it really doesnt affect my score that differently than when I play a tournament (because my ball always gets found there)...its not like ur moving it onto the fairway or closer to the hole, if anything it encourages pace of play at public courses 

Uhm, again, use the Local Rule for 2019. But add two strokes to your score when you do.

14 minutes ago, HitTheMark said:

Exactly its 200 years old...written at a time when blacks werent allowed to play and women couldnt join country clubs...

You're going to bring up race?

And again… 2019 Rules.

image.png

This topic is from 2015, too, btw. I'm glad you bumped an old topic, but… we had 24 pages of discussion on it back then. Many of us won't be horribly excited about re-starting the discussion. 🙂 We'll just refer to the comments we already made.

UNless you're playing on TV on the weekend, drop at estimated point of entry (loss), take a stroke and move on. Your handicap? Deal with the fact that if it's not ZERO, what difference does it really make? Speed up play!

4 hours ago, Joe Lelievre said:

UNless you're playing on TV on the weekend, drop at estimated point of entry (loss), take a stroke and move on. Your handicap? Deal with the fact that if it's not ZERO, what difference does it really make? Speed up play!

If you are not submitting cards for a handicap and never playing a tournament, then handicap is immaterial.  If on the other hand your handicap determines a result, it does matter.  Pace of play is important, but playing fairly (to both yourself and other competitors on the course) is more important.  Just dropping at a random point may well be giving you an advantage

4 hours ago, Joe Lelievre said:

Yeah, it's so happens that the 'vicinity' often finds itself to have a clear opening through trees... :-).

Anyway, yeah, so do as you please in your league/group. Please don't pretend to have an official handicap. 

6 hours ago, Joe Lelievre said:

You're now 0 for 1. Congratulations, few have achieved your standard of stupid in such a short time.