IGNORED

how much is too much?

leo7
Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i am just wondering if other people have experienced something similar? as at my course it seems to be certain people are being cutt excessively just because the official says so.

thanks

Leo

Yes... this is happening to me in my (9-hole) league in a way.

My league only uses 10 best of last 12 league rounds to calculate handicaps. ( about 16 a year )

Last year I averaged between 55-65 every round ( PAR = 35 ).  This year I started 63  and 62

I went out and bought a range package and have hit/played at least 5 days a week for the last 2 months.

As expected... my scores have improved to the point that if I shoot a 47/48 I'm disappointed.

However... because of rain outs and me missing 2 weeks, my handicap is going down slowly.

Last week I shot a 42 for an incredible number of stableford points which put be 3 points behind the leader.  Shooting around 50 the rest of the season should easily give me the win.

There were certainly some comments.  Most good natured but some were not.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

good shooting well done. I feel that at my club, if an 18 or above handicapper pu comes in a couple under par he's a bandit. but if a low guy shoots -3/4 he's played great. when someone off 6 shot -5. he was congratulated (rightly so). why the stigma on the higher guys doing the same thing? surely everyone started out high and came down

Quote:

Originally Posted by leo7

sorry still

unsure of what u mean.

Roughly speaking the course rating is the scratch rating, and the slope rating is the difficulty for bogey golfers.

I'm guessing that you do not play that many courses, because usually 14.5 handicaps would know by the first or second time they play another course? The bogey rating or slope gives you some idea how hard it will be for a bogey golfer.

EDIT: Fourputt already answered.

The OP is from Scotland.  It's my understanding that Europe doesn't use slope/course rating as we do here in the U.S., so it's no surprise that he doesn't know the slope/CR; it's probably non-existent. :-)

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

...I feel that at my club, if an 18 or above handicapper comes in a couple under par he's a bandit but if a low guy shoots -3/4 he's played great.

You are very much on point here.  We all read stories told by the 2 handicapper and how he had a match with an 18 handicapper and the 18 smoked him  ... so the 18 MUST be a sandbagger.  Low single digit handicappers have no business playing in handicapped events if they insist on the attitude that the better golfer should always win.  The low handicapper too often forgets that the handicap system's purpose is to level the playing field a bit.  They still have an advantage but many feel they should always win.

Brian Kuehn

Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!