IGNORED

John Daly for Ryder Cup Captain?

Fourputt
Note: This thread is 3145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

MJ was muuuuccchhh worse than Tiger. That dude is a legit ******* to everyone he meets. Tiger has done some really mean shit, but nothing near as bad as MJ was doing to his teammates.  YES IT IS  EDIT: Also, holy shit, I've 1002 posts. I'm kind of pissed I didn't pay attention to my 1000! YAY ME!

Yeah MJ beat the shit outta his teammates because THEY NEED TO GET ON HIS LEVEL. Kobe does it too, I'm pretty sure he shower raped Smush Parker a few times

Riley

Yeah MJ beat the shit outta his teammates because THEY NEED TO GET ON HIS LEVEL. Kobe does it too, I'm pretty sure he shower raped Smush Parker a few times

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh Shorty you're just being a big grump now. The RC isn't the Yalta Conference for Pete's sake. It's a frigging golf tournament. Who do you approve...Mr. Rogers? MJ was the worlds largest known athlete at one time and knows about motivation and winning. Besides, some crabby old man sitting in an Archie Bunker chair whining about people and offering no ideas gets us nowhere. Chris DeMarco? Or is his hair to close to his collar for you?

Michael Jordan is widely regarded as one of the most, if not THE most narcissistic and unpleasant athletes in history.

FTR - I don't like the Ryder Cup captain concept with the players being sycophantic jerks calling them "Captain Love" or "Captain Whoever".

Montgomery with his Ryder Cup shrine in his house and saying "That was my major" makes me want to puke.

Davis Love calling himself "III" is surely the most pretentious thing in all of sport. Are you seriously going to confuse him with his father or grandfather? - and yes, I know who his father was.

The captains do nothing except provide a scapegoat for poorly performing players. Or make idiotic choices like Watson did with Mickelson. And don't get me started on the WAGs or the opening ceremony cringefest.

Michael Jordan knows about prancing about with a ridiculous cigar and looking like  a cartoon character and treating people like sh*t. That isn't motivation.

Call me grump. So what. If we think MJ is an "awesome" person, the word is diminished. He was an awesome and inspired basketball player. Probably best ever, certainly top 3. He is far from an inspirational person.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Oh Shorty you're just being a big grump now. The RC isn't the Yalta Conference for Pete's sake. It's a frigging golf tournament. Who do you approve...Mr. Rogers? MJ was the worlds largest known athlete at one time and knows about motivation and winning. Besides, some crabby old man sitting in an Archie Bunker chair whining about people and offering no ideas gets us nowhere. Chris DeMarco? Or is his hair to close to his collar for you?

sorry I have to disagree with the world's largest athlete part. Plenty of people have never heard of MJ. Basketball barely registers in most countries. Going on that basis you would be better off going for Mike Tyson as captain. Actually...... ;)

sorry I have to disagree with the world's largest athlete part. Plenty of people have never heard of MJ. Basketball barely registers in most countries. Going on that basis you would be better off going for Mike Tyson as captain. Actually...... ;)

That is 100% incorrect. Jordan resonated all over the world. I'm not saying you'd find a pair of sneakers in the most remote hut in Zimbabwe, but he was a worldwide athlete.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

y'know, it is hard to think of a position that has the level of overblown mythic importance that "ryder cup captain" has... either the guys perform, or they don't... they don't need a "captain" to motivate them the other 51 weeks a year... "we" (collectively speaking) have inadvertently conspired to place WAY more importance on the position than it really has...

That is 100% incorrect. Jordan resonated all over the world. I'm not saying you'd find a pair of sneakers in the most remote hut in Zimbabwe, but he was a worldwide athlete.

oh in not saying he was not well known. But world's best known at one time? Not even close mate.

oh in not saying he was not well known. But world's best known at one time? Not even close mate.

Not even close? You're dead wrong. I was in Peace Corp Africa (Gabon). Ever hear of it? Soccer was the countries favorite sport but even in the most remote villages I went to...there were pin ups of MJ on their bark houses. Saw the same thing in Rawanda, Burundi, Cameroun, this was from 1992-1995. He was the most well known at a time. Period.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Not even close? You're dead wrong. I was in Peace Corp Africa (Gabon). Ever hear of it? Soccer was the countries favorite sport but even in the most remote villages I went to...there were pin ups of MJ on their bark houses. Saw the same thing in Rawanda, Burundi, Cameroun, this was from 1992-1995. He was the most well known at a time. Period.

nope never heard of it but I believe you. No reason not too. However that still doesn't make him the most well known athlete in the world. Not by a long chalk. Football is probably the most global big sport in the world therefore I would guess the highest profile footballer would be the most well known sportsman in the world at the time . Basketball... not a big sport in most of the rest of the world. Not to mention the cricketers in Asia that are treated like absolute gods. I stand by it. Not even close.

• Administrator
nope never heard of it but I believe you. No reason not too. However that still doesn't make him the most well known athlete in the world. Not by a long chalk. Football is probably the most global big sport in the world therefore I would guess the highest profile footballer would be the most well known sportsman in the world at the time . Basketball... not a big sport in most of the rest of the world. Not to mention the cricketers in Asia that are treated like absolute gods. I stand by it. Not even close.

There were studies and things on this. You could find out. No need to speculate. I do recall he was WAY up there if not #1.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There were studies and things on this. You could find out. No need to speculate. I do recall he was WAY up there if not #1.

yeah I have no doubt he was up there. Probably further than I think if I'm honest but my guess would be a cricketer. They are fanatical about cricket in India, Pakistan etc and it is reasonably global. I don't know what the population of India is exactly but I'm guessing at least 3 times that of usa. And a lot of cricket playing nations it is their only major sport. Someone like Sachin Tendulkar is going to be known by a lot of people to say the least. I'm not down on MJ nor basketball. And I'm aware he transcended the sport, he'll I'm only aware of 2 and he is one. I just think you are underestimating just how big sports like cricket are.

• Administrator
yeah I have no doubt he was up there. Probably further than I think if I'm honest but my guess would be a cricketer. They are fanatical about cricket in India, Pakistan etc and it is reasonably global. I don't know what the population of India is exactly but I'm guessing at least 3 times that of usa. And a lot of cricket playing nations it is their only major sport. Someone like Sachin Tendulkar is going to be known by a lot of people to say the least. I'm not down on MJ nor basketball. And I'm aware he transcended the sport, he'll I'm only aware of 2 and he is one. I just think you are underestimating just how big sports like cricket are.

I'm not underestimating. I'm just telling you that you guys are discussing a fact like it is something you can't just look up or research. Also… :offtopic:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm not underestimating. I'm just telling you that you guys are discussing a fact like it is something you can't just look up or research. Also… :offtopic:

yeah fair point. So. Tyson for captain then. Actually I agree with whoever posted earlier. .Pretty over inflated job rc captain.

Yep. Let's put the 828th ranked player in the world in there as a "playing captain". Great idea.

You're right. The 590th ranked with a previous loss is a much better choice....

While I agree that Daly is well past his prime and probably will never get the job.

I would point out that not all "great" players make "great" managers.

This happens in Baseball and basketball all the time.

Was Watson a great Captain because he was a great player?

At this point I would put Donald Trump or Shooter McGavin in as Captain if it got U.S. the win!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty

Yep. Let's put the 828th ranked player in the world in there as a "playing captain". Great idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinsk

You're right. The 590th ranked with a previous loss is a much better choice....

While I agree that Daly is well past his prime and probably will never get the job.

I would point out that not all "great" players make "great" managers.

This happens in Baseball and basketball all the time.

Was Watson a great Captain because he was a great player?

At this point I would put Donald Trump or Shooter McGavin in as Captain if it got U.S. the win!

usa wins - captain great...

usa loses - captain sucked...

as noted before, way too much importance placed upon the position...  i'd settle for someone that doesn't pick ugly clothes and rain gear that leaks...

usa wins - captain great... usa loses - captain sucked... as noted before, way too much importance placed upon the position...  i'd settle for someone that doesn't pick ugly clothes and rain gear that leaks...

Lol. True. I still think DeMarco would be good

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

usa wins - captain great...

usa loses - captain sucked...

as noted before, way too much importance placed upon the position...  i'd settle for someone that doesn't pick ugly clothes and rain gear that leaks...

Who cares if the rain gear leaks.

Just as long as they are flashy and offensive to the eyes wearing those loudmouth pants and matching shirts!!!!!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Note: This thread is 3145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!