IGNORED

My Swing (04brobinson)

04brobinson
Note: This thread is 3173 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: About 5 months

My current handicap index or average score is: 19 Handicap

My typical ball flight is: Slight Draw

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: The DREADED top... Or straight push right!

Videos:

I'm not sure if the video has actually embedded properly, I've tried a few times!

I have been playing a few months, had a couple of lessons but since then just tried to get on the course as much as I can!

I've been told I come too far from the inside, so I've been working really hard on getting my takeaway better and in front of my body a bit more.

ANY tips or advice would be awesome.

Thanks!

• Administrator
I'm not sure if the video has actually embedded properly, I've tried a few times!

It did… it's just private.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

It did… it's just private.

Thanks for letting me know @iacas, I sometimes worry about myself... It was a long day yesterday! I think I've updated it to public now.

We're getting an error stating for us to play the video on youtube because playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

That is a damn good swing for 6 months in. I'm sure it will be mentioned but you have a very closed club face throughout your entire swing.

That is a damn good swing for 6 months in. I'm sure it will be mentioned but you have a very closed club face throughout your entire swing.

Thanks! I had a few lessons when I first started that were very much based around set up. It was brought up then about the club face being closed, it sounds so simple when someone tells you to square it up but I always seem to find a way of going back to closing it! Is there anything I could do to force myself into squaring it up?

Thanks! I had a few lessons when I first started that were very much based around set up. It was brought up then about the club face being closed, it sounds so simple when someone tells you to square it up but I always seem to find a way of going back to closing it! Is there anything I could do to force myself into squaring it up?

Yes there are ways but I would almost guarantee that anything I tell you would be the wrong way to fix it long term lol. Hopefully one of the pros will give you good advice here.

Great swing foundation. I think it's just time for you to go beyond the abbreviated swing. Let the hips rotate further on the backswing and just think about allowing your backswing a little more time to set. This will lead to a longer backswing.

Great swing foundation. I think it's just time for you to go beyond the abbreviated swing. Let the hips rotate further on the backswing and just think about allowing your backswing a little more time to set. This will lead to a longer backswing.

Thanks for the reply! I've always wanted to try to lengthen my backswing but whenever I try to put some work in on it I just feel totally out of control of the club. Is it something that's going to help with contact/plane etc. in the long run, or is it just to make my swing look "prettier"?

Heading to the range again tonight and have been trying to work on getting the club face square at set up and keeping it there. Feels so open to me but it's something I know I NEED to fix. Will hopefully get another video up later!

It is probably more common for amateurs to lose consistency and even distance if the lengthen their swing too much. However, distance and power will come with a longer, controlled swing. In my opinion you have more rotation available to you before it begins to go south on you. So, I think you can experiment with it a bit. You have a really solid foundation, so I think you can work on it. Would be interested to see a head on video with some attempts at a longer swing.

Ok so went to the range tonight... @p1d1r REALLY struggled with getting a bit more rotation on my backswing, just for some reason could not get myself to commit to turning more. MORE WORK REQUIRED.

I'm hitting an 8 here, the club looked much squarer (to me) throughout my swing, made a lot of effort to keep my takeaway slightly in front of my body rather than pulling it straight around like I usually do. Ball flight was a fair way higher too than I'm used to seeing, and even a couple of little baby fades, that made me happy.

The videos aren't great, dad filming them (technology is not his friend), and the range makes it pretty difficult to get a good face on view. I'm carrying my 8I around 160 pretty consistently, I know it's just smacking a ball up a range but I don't really feel like I need to hit the ball particularly further, which again leads me to the question, if it's just for more distance, do I need the longer swing? Just better, more consistent contact would suit me fine.

Any thoughts as always would be awesome!

Are you sure you are carrying your 8 iron 160? I don't hit my 8 iron 160 unless I went out there and swung my butt off and I'm pretty sure my swing speed is higher than yours judging by your videos, but then again maybe you do. I'm just asking because that seems pretty long for what I'm seeing in the videos and you don't want to overestimate.

Are you sure you are carrying your 8 iron 160? I don't hit my 8 iron 160 unless I went out there and swung my butt off and I'm pretty sure my swing speed is higher than yours judging by your videos, but then again maybe you do. I'm just asking because that seems pretty long for what I'm seeing in the videos and you don't want to overestimate.

You may be right, it's probably actually more like 150 or just over, but definitely no less than that. To be honest, I'm only working off what I see on the range, and when I'm on the course. We have a par 3 at our course that's pretty flat and the card calls it 168, I hit an 8 there and pretty much without fail on a reasonable strike end up pin high. I don't get much of a roll out on greens with my 8 either.

I know what I think I'm seeing on the course/range could be wildly different from reality. I could really do with getting on a launch monitor to get some real cold hard facts about what I'm doing, but that's got to wait until next month when I have a lesson at the Hotchkin (I think that's where @Nosevi lly, am I right? Would be awesome if it is), so that should give me a better idea of distances at least!

[QUOTE name="Duff McGee" url="/t/83709/my-swing-04brobinson#post_1183301"] Are you sure you are carrying your 8 iron 160? I don't hit my 8 iron 160 unless I went out there and swung my butt off and I'm pretty sure my swing speed is higher than yours judging by your videos, but then again maybe you do. I'm just asking because that seems pretty long for what I'm seeing in the videos and you don't want to overestimate.[/QUOTE] You may be right, it's probably actually more like 150 or just over, but definitely no less than that. To be honest, I'm only working off what I see on the range, and when I'm on the course. We have a par 3 at our course that's pretty flat and the card calls it 168, I hit an 8 there and pretty much without fail on a reasonable strike end up pin high. I don't get much of a roll out on greens with my 8 either. I know what I think I'm seeing on the course/range could be wildly different from reality. I could really do with getting on a launch monitor to get some real cold hard facts about what I'm doing, but that's got to wait until next month when I have a lesson at the Hotchkin (I think that's where @Nosevi practices actually, am I right? Would be awesome if it is), so that should give me a better idea of distances at least!

Yep, that's where I get lessons. Do you know if you'll be with Neil, Scott or Allison? If you're in Lincolnshire and would like to get some numbers for your ball flight feel free to drop me a PM and you can pop over to use the swing studio with GC2 etc. It's better than the kit they have at Woodhall, it's also free. I always take my own launch monitor to lessons there :)

Pete Iveson

Yep, that's where I get lessons. Do you know if you'll be with Neil, Scott or Allison? If you're in Lincolnshire and would like to get some numbers for your ball flight feel free to drop me a PM and you can pop over to use the swing studio with GC2 etc. It's better than the kit they have at Woodhall, it's also free. I always take my own launch monitor to lessons there :)

Well it was Neil that I spoke to so at the minute I'm thinking it'll be him? May well be that he was just the point of contact though. That would be brilliant if you don't mind!? Your set up looks kinda like my dream! Haha. My lesson is 10am on September 14th, think that's for 2 hours. I'll PM you closer to the time and you can let me know if you're free? Thanks again!

[QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/83709/my-swing-04brobinson#post_1183307"] Yep, that's where I get lessons. Do you know if you'll be with Neil, Scott or Allison? If you're in Lincolnshire and would like to get some numbers for your ball flight feel free to drop me a PM and you can pop over to use the swing studio with GC2 etc. It's better than the kit they have at Woodhall, it's also free. I always take my own launch monitor to lessons there :)[/QUOTE] Well it was Neil that I spoke to so at the minute I'm thinking it'll be him? May well be that he was just the point of contact though. That would be brilliant if you don't mind!? Your set up looks kinda like my dream! Haha. My lesson is 10am on September 14th, think that's for 2 hours. I'll PM you closer to the time and you can let me know if you're free? Thanks again!

No probs. I'll try and keep that day free from 12:30 till 15:00 (I live 30 mins from woodhall). Where abouts are you? Are you only over this way to go to the Academy or do you live reasonably locally?

Pete Iveson

Note: This thread is 3173 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!