IGNORED

Why all the testosterone?

daa1969
Note: This thread is 3176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think we covered the possibility that these markers are not all that accurate.

Although, I wouldn't claim I can drive 300 if I only drive 290, but still. . .to me a 293 yard drive and a 300 yard drive are almost the same. Yeah, I wouldn't compare them to any tour pros drives, but for all intents and purposes in amateur golf that's 300 yards. Even 280 is pretty much a "300 yard" drive for us hackers. . .

I don't think most even realize how far 250 is, especially compared to what you see from amateur golfers. A well struck 250 yard drive looks pretty good from the tee to me.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use my Garmin to track my distances. I click the measure button on the green and I walk to my drive.

I then check it when I have reached my drive.

I have to say the GPS is very accurate. yardage markers on the course, not so much!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I don't think most even realize how far 250 is, especially compared to what you see from amateur golfers. A well struck 250 yard drive looks pretty good from the tee to me.

We have a 238 yard par 3. I hit driver almost every time unless it is significantly downwind and I get it to pin high (not necessarily on the green) about half the time. The rest are short of that. I have hit it over the green once this year in about 45 attempts and, in that case, it just rolled off the back. I am tracking my scores on the hole this season to see if I score better when I am short or when I get it to pin high (where there is more trouble). I am beginning to think that I should always play the hole with a shorter club, as I score better when I am short of the green complex. Testosterone, indeed. ;-)

Bill M

Your correct. By eye not a chance. Seen too many warning track hitters over the years think they can jack it 400 feet. Golf is no different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave2512

We have a 238 yard par 3. I hit driver almost every time unless it is significantly downwind and I get it to pin high (not necessarily on the green) about half the time. The rest are short of that. I have hit it over the green once this year in about 45 attempts and, in that case, it just rolled off the back. I am tracking my scores on the hole this season to see if I score better when I am short or when I get it to pin high (where there is more trouble). I am beginning to think that I should always play the hole with a shorter club, as I score better when I am short of the green complex. Testosterone, indeed.

Play your 8i, right? :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

We have a 238 yard par 3. I hit driver almost every time unless it is significantly downwind and I get it to pin high (not necessarily on the green) about half the time. The rest are short of that. I have hit it over the green once this year in about 45 attempts and, in that case, it just rolled off the back. I am tracking my scores on the hole this season to see if I score better when I am short or when I get it to pin high (where there is more trouble). I am beginning to think that I should always play the hole with a shorter club, as I score better when I am short of the green complex. Testosterone, indeed.

Par 71? Seems like every time I see some absurdly long par 3 it's a 71. Our longest with markers all the way back can get into the 225 range. I don't bother trying to get it there because of all the trouble around the green. GIR from that far is tough for just about everyone. A 60 yard pitch is a better play that trying to get up and down from a deep bunker with an unpredictable lie or being stuck behind a tree. I hit a 7 to the short mown area.

Par 71? Seems like every time I see some absurdly long par 3 it's a 71. Our longest with markers all the way back can get into the 225 range. I don't bother trying to get it there because of all the trouble around the green. GIR from that far is tough for just about everyone. A 60 yard pitch is a better play that trying to get up and down from a deep bunker with an unpredictable lie or being stuck behind a tree. I hit a 7 to the short mown area.

The course I play the most has a par 3 as the 18th. From the back it plays 240. I played it one time.... I came up just short with my 2 hybrid. Having a par 3 that long is just diabolical.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

The course I play the most has a par 3 as the 18th. From the back it plays 240. I played it one time.... I came up just short with my 2 hybrid. Having a par 3 that long is just diabolical.

Yuck I hate them even at 150. My former home course had one at 248 from the back, which of the 7435 yards back there seemed easy compared to the 470-490 par 4's. I only played back there a few times. More than the total yardage some of the carries were really long. I'd be hitting reeds with a laser at the far end of a hazard at 260-270 with nothing but tee boxes and wetland between me and the edge. Some holes with forced carries weren't even that long. One was 426 and from the back you need to hit your best drive of the day. So it was a grind. The par 4's without brutal forced carries were so long it felt like a par 5.

Out here you have to suck it up and do it every so often otherwise your differentials are high. I've never seen anything shorter than 6900 yards rated near par. 6500 yards is usually something like 69-70 so you can break 80 and the differential will be over 10.

I think we covered the possibility that these markers are not all that accurate.

Although, I wouldn't claim I can drive 300 if I only drive 290, but still. . .to me a 293 yard drive and a 300 yard drive are almost the same. Yeah, I wouldn't compare them to any tour pros drives, but for all intents and purposes in amateur golf that's 300 yards. Even 280 is pretty much a "300 yard" drive for us hackers. . .

No, 280 is NOT even remotely close to 300yards even for a hacker. You have kind of proved my point about how some golfers like to talk about their 300yd drives, If it makes you feel better by adding 20yds to your shot then more power to you. Hey, now that you mention it, my 250 yard drives are pretty much 270 at the 19th hole. Actually that does make me feel better. I'm sure there are a lot of courses with inaccurate yardage markers but, the disk markers on my course are Very accurate.

No, 280 is NOT even remotely close to 300yards even for a hacker. You have kind of proved my point about how some golfers like to talk about their 300yd drives, If it makes you feel better by adding 20yds to your shot then more power to you. Hey, now that you mention it, my 250 yard drives are pretty much 270 at the 19th hole. Actually that does make me feel better. I'm sure there are a lot of courses with inaccurate yardage markers but, the disk markers on my course are Very accurate.

On good courses the markers can usually be counted on to be pretty accurate. On not so good courses they aren't all that accurate. I don't call a drive of mine 300 yards unless GG shows it to be. I don't mind guessing "almost" or "around" a certain yardage at the course though, if I've played there and happen to know how far a carry, bunker, end of the fairway, etc happen to be. I'm pretty sure a lot of us started off guessing what our distances were based off of the distances marked on the card combined with yardage markers on the course and/or gps yardage to the green on the second shot. Once we get more serious about knowing how far we really hit our clubs we start using more reliable means of measuring.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

You're telling me that this difference makes a difference in your game? First of all, your 250 yard drives are in a different category than a 280 yard drive, but a 280 yard drive is not all that different category than a 300 yard drive and here's why I think this:

Average Par 4 is around 390 yards (might be on the long side):

1. Drive 250 yards leaves you a 9i or 8i to the green.
  2. Drive 280 leaves a 54 wedge.
  3. Drive 300 leaves a partial wedge.

Average Par 5 around 520 yards:

1. Drive 250 yards leaves you with 2 shots to the green.
  2. 280 yards leaves you with 240 yards 5W or hybrid?
  3. 300 yards leaves you with 220 yards 5W or hybrid?

Long 460 yard Par 4: Drive 280 versus 300 leaves something like 8i and a 6i. While a 250 yard drive leaves you with a hybrid or wood to the green. It's a different game on this hole.

Only on short par 4s is the 250 yard drive going to be roughly the same. . .

For our games, I doubt we can really take advantage of a 300 yard drive over a 280 yard drive, but certainly 280 yards is much nicer than 250. Sure 300 is nicer, but not sure how it would really help our games that much as it does not change the type of club on our second shots?

BTW, I have hit a 308 yard drive, but my average is 245.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

You're telling me that this difference makes a difference in your game? First of all, your 250 yard drives are in a different category than a 280 yard drive, but a 280 yard drive is not all that different category than a 300 yard drive and here's why I think this:

Drive 250 yards leaves you a 9i or 8i to the green.

Drive 280 leaves a 54 wedge.

Drive 300 leaves a partial wedge.

Drive 250 yards leaves you with 2 shots to the green.

280 yards leaves you with 240 yards 5W or hybrid?

300 yards leaves you with 220 yards 5W or hybrid?

Long 460 yard Par 4: Drive 280 versus 300 leaves something like 8i and a 6i. While a 250 yard drive leaves you with a hybrid or wood to the green. It's a different game on this hole.

For our games, I doubt we can really take advantage of a 300 yard drive over a 280 yard drive, but certainly 280 yards is much nicer than 250. Sure 300 is nicer, but not sure how it would really help our games that much as it does not change the type of club on our second shots?

Please show me where I said it makes a difference in my score or your score? My post was about golfers that don't want reality to get in the way of their 300 yard plus drives.

Quote:

Drive 250 yards leaves you a 9i or 8i to the green.

Drive 280 leaves a 54 wedge.

Drive 300 leaves a partial wedge.

Drive 250 yards leaves you with 2 shots to the green.

280 yards leaves you with 240 yards 5W or hybrid?

300 yards leaves you with 220 yards 5W or hybrid?

Please show me where I said it makes a difference in my score or your score? My post was about golfers that don't want reality to get in the way of their 300 yard plus drives.

My only point is that your scoffing at the young golfers who claimed to hit 300 yards for only hitting 280 yards was kind of ridiculous. Anyone capable of averaging 280 is okay in my book, and not really worthy of scoffing.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

My only point is that your scoffing at the young golfers who claimed to hit 300 yards for only hitting 280 yards was kind of ridiculous. Anyone capable of averaging 280 is okay in my book, and not really worthy of scoffing.

Again, anyone who hits it 200, 250 or 300 yards is okay in my book. My point is, I play with a couple of guys I work with and, every time the subject of golf is brought up "which by the way is about 3 or 4 times a day" I have to hear about the 300 plus yard drives they hit. So I proved that they were stretching the truth and yet they are still in denial because they think my range finder is inaccurate. What ever, I still enjoy playing with them because try as they may. They have not even come close YET to beating me. So the only one who seems to scoffing is you for some reason over not understanding my post and trying to put words in my mouth.  Hope this helps.

Quote:

Again, anyone who hits it 200, 250 or 300 yards is okay in my book. My point is, I play with a couple of guys I work with and, every time the subject of golf is brought up "which by the way is about 3 or 4 times a day" I have to hear about the 300 plus yard drives they hit. So I proved that they were stretching the truth and yet they are still in denial because they think my range finder is inaccurate. What ever, I still enjoy playing with them because try as they may. They have not even come close YET to beating me. So the only one who seems to scoffing is you for some reason over not understanding my post and trying to put words in my mouth.  Hope this helps.

BTW, how did you use a rangefinder to determine drive distance? As I recall it was pretty hard to do when I tried it a couple years ago? GPS is easier to use for determining driving distances. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

BTW, how did you use a rangefinder to determine drive distance? As I recall it was pretty hard to do when I tried it a couple years ago? GPS is easier to use for determining driving distances. . .

I have the Izzo Swami GPS 4000. Look it up and check it out if you like. It's quite simple really and very accurate. You hit your tee shot, hit the distance tab that starts at zero from where you are standing on the tee. Go to your ball and hit the tab again and it tells you how many yards you have gone from your first shot to where ball is resting for your second shot. Distance A gps to distance B gps

Quote:

I have the Izzo Swami GPS 4000. Look it up and check it out if you like. It's quite simple really and very accurate. You hit your tee shot, hit the distance tab that starts at zero from where you are standing on the tee. Go to your ball and hit the tab again and it tells you how many yards you have gone from your first shot to where ball is resting for your second shot. Distance A gps to distance B gps

Range finder means laser. A little confusing when you refer to your GPS as a range finder even though that is technically what it does.

I never had issues using the laser. Just shoot the ball washer or a nearby tree. Plus you likely shot the distance to a fairway bunker or something else for reference in the fairway. Now I don't have to think about it because of Game Golf.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Patrick

Quote:

Range finder means laser. A little confusing when you refer to your GPS as a range finder even though that is technically what it does.

I never had issues using the laser. Just shoot the ball washer or a nearby tree. Plus you likely shot the distance to a fairway bunker or something else for reference in the fairway. Now I don't have to think about it because of Game Golf.

This is kind of what I was getting at, that several yards variation is possible in the readings because you need to measure the distance of the ball washer or whatever to the actual teeing position. This could have been a point of contention between Patrick and his friends. However, as he already mentioned, he used a GPS and not a range finder as he stated originally. And of course, you already noted the difference between a GPS and a range finder to him.

I stand corrected, his young friends only average 280 yards instead of 300 yards off the tee and somehow can't beat a 10 handicap. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!