IGNORED

Why all the testosterone?

daa1969
Note: This thread is 3170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are courses near me that strongly request that the tees are based upon handicap.    If the player doesn't have a handicap the course ranger strongly suggest they play from the white tees.

I personally like the concept.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't think this was a good test today. Went to an executive course and the back tees weren't all that far back from the whites. I used a few tips I read here that paid off though.Used my 4i hybrid to tee off on 3 short par 4s that I normally would have hit driver and got into trouble with. I also hit them off the deck. I was having troubles whenever i was teeing up anything but driver. Must be a mental thing but better results without the tees. I drove one hole with my 3 wood about 200 uphill and two putted for birdie. ( should be a par 3) had another eagle putt just off the green on a par 5 but three putted for par. Overall I continued to struggle the most chipping off the hardpan.11 over 46. Right around where I've been all year so far. Breakout round tomorrow :)
  1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

Ya maybe when teeing up for other than driver try just putting tee so only head is above ground, it may help u to not think about hitting up at it, it would be more like a nice fluffy lie, works for me anyway, im sure its a mental thing.

No doubt mental. Happens consistently playing AND on the range. Perfect layups with the hybrid today and the birdie hole was no tee also. I will keep working on it at the range but no tees for me right now. The two par 3s were what got me again. Coming up one club short . Then Having a hard time chipping close. A double and a triple. I pulled a few clubs after today's debacles. Haha benched.
  1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

And obviously there are courses where the tees dont make a big difference, a better test is one that does make a difference, where it really changes your carry requirements, and changes trouble placement, i believe most course are setup to help you from the whites and challenge you from the tips.

Not sure what your doing wrong with chips but what changed my game was when i started using lower lofted clubs like pitch, 9,8,etc I know for me if im thinking nice high flop im gonna usually get too handsy and blow it, i can do as well as anyone at the practice green, but we all know our mindset changes when it counts. Even if you have to go over a trap, your pitching wedge will suffice, if its tucked and you roll little past whats the harm? If you flub your flop now where are you? Not to generalize everyone but i feel that most of us amateurs will b better off leaving the lob wedge to a full shot say from like 40-70 yds where theres only setup changes and not much to do with hand manipulation

People, unless your close to a scratch golfer, why do you insist on playing from the back tees? If you wanna improve your score and have more fun, just move up! My average bad drive still goes like 275 and i play forward, i see it all the time, most of the time if your even lucky enough to reach the fairway, its pretty crooked anyway, would you rather hit driver, 3wood, than 40 yard pitch, or driver, 6 iron, at worse little chip? Maybe its just me but it seems really stupid to set yourself up for failure right from the start!

That was just for the sake of my example, 90% of the time im hitting a wedge on par 4s, my average drive is around the 305 area. The example was for the people that dont even drive it 200

So, I guess you're stating that you drive on average 305 yards and don't play the back tees so anyone else who drives less than you shouldn't be playing them as well? Oh, and your worst drives are 275 yards?

Sounds kind like testosterone filled pompous talk to me.

So, why all the testosterone? :-D

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

There are courses near me that strongly request that the tees are based upon handicap.    If the player doesn't have a handicap the course ranger strongly suggest they play from the white tees.

I personally like the concept.

T​here is one here that requires permission from the pro shop staff to play tips. Requirement is they look up your ghin to see if you can hack it. They don't even put markers out on the championship tees the boxes will have a tee closed placard in the ground, this course has hosted a satellite tour event so it's legit.

My former home course was 7600 yards from the tips. I didn't see many back there but even from the blacks one up at 7000 it was brutal. One reason I stopped going there was all the jackholes that played too far back. Black tees had 470-490 par 4's and the posted handicap recommendation was 5-10. I'd see guys that couldn't break 90 back there swinging wild in an attempt to get it out there. Most were in the age range of 18-35ish. I couldn't stand watching them from behind and I was a 5-10 golfer playing one up at from the recommended tees most days. I only played back when I was alone to discourage anyone with me from playing black tee because it was so tough.

Dave :-)

Ive always felt that it doesnt matter if your playing the tips or white or whatever its all about the distance. My "home" course is 6700 from the tips so i play that. Even on a bad drive im only 140-170 out. If im gonna play a course thats 7200 from the tips i wont play it. People get worked up about people playing the tips but it varys from course to course.

Ive always felt that it doesnt matter if your playing the tips or white or whatever its all about the distance. My "home" course is 6700 from the tips so i play that. Even on a bad drive im only 140-170 out. If im gonna play a course thats 7200 from the tips i wont play it. People get worked up about people playing the tips but it varys from course to course.

This is the curious part to me?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thing is for all but the elite distance varies considerably. In 2014 I spent the entire year playing 6-8 handicap golf. My driver average was a mere 254. A typical day for me may see a best to worst drive difference of 80-100 yards. Last season my best was 344 and worst probably around 150. I shot 72 yesterday, a personal best, and my shots were all over the place. Perceived distance and reality rarely equivalent, especially for the lesser skilled. The worse the average scores of a golfer the more erratic they are. I average 82.x and I assure you I look more like a 30 handicapper than a elite golfer.

[QUOTE name="ryan772" url="/t/83727/why-all-the-testosterone/36#post_1182187"] Ive always felt that it doesnt matter if your playing the tips or white or whatever its all about the distance. My "home" course is 6700 from the tips so i play that. Even on a bad drive im only 140-170 out. If im gonna play a course thats 7200 from the tips i wont play it. People get worked up about people playing the tips but it varys from course to course.[/QUOTE] Thing is for all but the elite distance varies considerably. In 2014 I spent the entire year playing 6-8 handicap golf. My driver average was a mere 254. A typical day for me may see a best to worst drive difference of 80-100 yards. Last season my best was 344 and worst probably around 150. I shot 72 yesterday, a personal best, and my shots were all over the place. Perceived distance and reality rarely equivalent, especially for the lesser skilled. The worse the average scores of a golfer the more erratic they are. I average 82.x and I assure you I look more like a 30 handicapper than a elite golfer.

Other than the passage about perceived distance, you really didn't answer the "why worked up" about other people playing the tips if they keep up with the people in front of them?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Other than the passage about perceived distance, you really didn't answer the "why worked up" about other people playing the tips if they keep up with the people in front of them?

I​ did earlier in a reply to someone else and it's the same answer. People behind you will be watching you chase balls all over and wondering WTF you're doing back there because until you get very, very skilled you are inconsistent at best. The forced carries, the poor shots, the long approaches that lead to more trouble, the ball hunting etc. So yeah if I am behind you watching you pile up strokes from the tips I think you're a jackwad.

I get this all the time in league. I have no choice but to play tips because the course is short at 6600 yards and if you are in my flight it's required. Funny thing is I see the same guys in other flights that play up in league  on back tees when it's fun and casual but when their score matters they milk every damn inch. Play where you can hack it and score well. By that I mean understand your limits and try to play the best you can not play impress your friends golf. It never works anyway. You are going to hit a succession of crap shots your entire life why make it harder than it needs to be.

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/83727/why-all-the-testosterone/36#post_1182207"] Other than the passage about perceived distance, you really didn't answer the "why worked up" about other people playing the tips if they keep up with the people in front of them?[/QUOTE]  I​ did earlier in a reply to someone else and it's the same answer. People behind you will be watching you chase balls all over and wondering WTF you're doing back there because until you get very, very skilled you are inconsistent at best. The forced carries, the poor shots, the long approaches that lead to more trouble, the ball hunting etc. So yeah if I am behind you watching you pile up strokes from the tips I think you're a jackwad. I get this all the time in league. I have no choice but to play tips because the course is short at 6600 yards and if you are in my flight it's required. Funny thing is I see the same guys in other flights that play up in league  on back tees when it's fun and casual but when their score matters they milk every damn inch. Play where you can hack it and score well. By that I mean understand your limits and try to play the best you can not play impress your friends golf. It never works anyway. You are going to hit a succession of crap shots your entire life why make it harder than it needs to be.

I agree that if you need to wait for 12 shots for everyone in the party in front before teeing off that could be pretty frustrating, but that's not someone keeping up with the group in front. I've also had to wait my share of those, and yeah they're jackwads. . .However, what if you're a 15 handicap who drives pretty well, and doesn't make you wait two shots before you can tee off and keeps up with the party in front? My understanding is that a lot of the posters on this site fall more or less into this category. So, what's the peeve about them playing the tips and not costing you an extra minute on the course? The other thing is the OP seems to be requiring everyone to drive past him and he claims to drive 305 on average, so in effect, he is stating that even someone with a real drive of 275 should not be playing the back tees. It would be interesting for me to hear the reason why he feels so strongly about that?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

from what i gather the pga only measures balls in the fairway, i could be wrong but thats what ive heard, when i say im in the 305 area im not saying im always in the fairway, im just going by distance from tee to green which as we all know is measured down the middle, so if u factor in a slight turn you end up actually looking better on paper, because by not following the center you may have taken 20 or more yards off. i have used a gps at times to measure and sometimes what looks to be 300 after the math really turns out to be 285 or something if i go straight to ball and not follow shape of fairway. On the launch monitor my drives average a carry of 267 and a roll out to 290+ my bad carries were in the 245 range. The range where i normally hit balls has the farthest pin at 275, even my worst shots end up rolling up there, my good ones land there and usually run into back net. And lets not forget that the average pga pro almost never lets it rip with everything they have, they get paid to keep it straight, i dont, so i let it rip! There are a great number of people who can outdrive pga players, just dont have the complete game. Thats why there are long drive competitions, dont think ive ever seen a pga player involved in one though, so, before we compare ourselves to pga players lets take in all the facts.

I agree that if you need to wait for 12 shots for everyone in the party in front before teeing off that could be pretty frustrating, but that's not someone keeping up with the group in front. I've also had to wait my share of those, and yeah they're jackwads. . .However, what if you're a 15 handicap who drives pretty well, and doesn't make you wait two shots before you can tee off and keeps up with the party in front?

My understanding is that a lot of the posters on this site fall more or less into this category. So, what's the peeve about them playing the tips and not costing you an extra minute on the course?

The other thing is the OP seems to be requiring everyone to drive past him and he claims to drive 305 on average, so in effect, he is stating that even someone with a real drive of 275 should not be playing the back tees.

It would be interesting for me to hear the reason why he feels so strongly about that?

More than the number of shots is how they get there. You are 11 now remember when you were 25? You probably aren't doing much different besides minimizing the damage of your mishits. I won't speculate what the mindset should be for playing back but I know there are courses here too long for me. Even if I just added a couple strokes to my score each side the struggle would be immense adding several hundred yards to my day.

I would get into trouble I could avoid playing from tees up. And because I suck it would still be plenty challenging. The holes where I hit my best shots will be offset by all the holes I play horrible. The choice should be based on your horrible not your best.

If you can't break 80 from the tees you play you are too far back. Trust me sub 80 golf is still sucky golf on muni courses until you get to really good +2 +4ish differentials. .

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/83727/why-all-the-testosterone/36#post_1182221"] I agree that if you need to wait for 12 shots for everyone in the party in front before teeing off that could be pretty frustrating, but that's not someone keeping up with the group in front. I've also had to wait my share of those, and yeah they're jackwads. . .However, what if you're a 15 handicap who drives pretty well, and doesn't make you wait two shots before you can tee off and keeps up with the party in front? My understanding is that a lot of the posters on this site fall more or less into this category. So, what's the peeve about them playing the tips and not costing you an extra minute on the course? The other thing is the OP seems to be requiring everyone to drive past him and he claims to drive 305 on average, so in effect, he is stating that even someone with a real drive of 275 should not be playing the back tees. It would be interesting for me to hear the reason why he feels so strongly about that?[/QUOTE] More than the number of shots is how they get there. You are 11 now remember when you were 25? You probably aren't doing much different besides minimizing the damage of your mishits. I won't speculate what the mindset should be for playing back but I know there are courses here too long for me. Even if I just added a couple strokes to my score each side the struggle would be immense adding several hundred yards to my day. I would get into trouble I could avoid playing from tees up. And because I suck it would still be plenty challenging. I the hole where I hit my best shots will be offset by all the holes I play horrible. The choice should be based on your horrible not your best. If you can't break 80 from the tees you play you are too far back. Trust me sub 80 golf is still sucky golf.

Sure, and sub-85 is even suckier. :-D Yeah, as a 25+ I thought I was driving 260 yards. :doh:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!