IGNORED

Why all the testosterone?

daa1969
Note: This thread is 3177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

Jeremie Boop  <-- my Game Golf profile

I do have a few that get away from me most rounds.

*by get away from me I mean OB/lost*

Well then, 270 isn't "typical". When I just swing away I can hit it 260-270 but I have no idea where it is going so I don't do it. When I am at my most consistent I hit it "typically" in the 235-240 range (VERY occasionally 10-15 yards longer when the stars are aligned) and I have a chance to score. Our course from the regular tees are usually in the 6500 range so it is pretty challenging. I would love to be able to attack a course from 30 yards closer but I can't afford the lost balls.

@phan52 I would say what you are claiming isn't typical. I've seen plenty of bogey golfers with good swingspeed. What I haven't seen is a good golfer who has 25-35 extra yards that are somehow uncontrollable. If you're swinging so hard that you're sequencing is thrown out of whack, the swingspeed goes down not up. And how do you know it goes 260-270 if you can't find it?

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When you factor in the 5-10% difference for elavation, hardness of the ground here, elevated tee boxes, and the fact that those shots werent my typical draw, you end up just about where i claimed, again, i never said i was straight all the time, and as we now know, pga doesnt care if its in the fairway, i can only speak to my averages for the courses and conditions i play, if you wanna say i move to florida and only average 287 thats fine. I speak the truth about my game as i know it.

First, I've played at a TPC course in Vegas that had a hybrid blue/white option which was nice. Second, I play in a 9 hole league during the week and we play from the whites but the local tournaments I play in are played from the back tees. So if I'm going to play in those tournaments I need to practice from those tees.

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

When you factor in the 5-10% difference for elavation, hardness of the ground here, elevated tee boxes, and the fact that those shots werent my typical draw, you end up just about where i claimed, again, i never said i was straight all the time, and as we now know, pga doesnt care if its in the fairway, i can only speak to my averages for the courses and conditions i play, if you wanna say i move to florida and only average 287 thats fine. I speak the truth about my game as i know it.

One thing I definitely didn't factor in was the altitude, but I is/was also not one of the naysayers to your distance claims even without altitude adjustments. ;-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Yes, there are courses where tees dont make too much of a difference, yes, if you play a course often you should switch it up from time to time, but when groups are stacking up behind you and the only ones ahead of you are ones you let pass, its time to rethink your decision, i dont know about you, but for me, when i get pushed through it throws my game off for a minute because unlike some, i care about the people behind me!

I play in a weekly stableford game and we play from the white tees (third tee) and I basically have to hit hybrids off a lot of tees and then still only have a pw into the green. It's great for making birdies but I always feel like I'm cheating or something or like my score isn't legitimate.

Your score is legitimate! One of the courses i play often i cant hit driver but on 8 holes and that doesnt matter from which tee, some courses are just designed that way. Theres this thing in most of us that we just wanna hit that driver, thats the big thriller! Your not cheating, your just playing smarter golf! At the end of the day dont you feel better about your score than you would about the few good drives you may have had?

Jeremie Boop  <-- my Game Golf profile

I do have a few that get away from me most rounds.

*by get away from me I mean OB/lost*

You of course look at the numbers produced,

4 iron - 190 yards

5 iron - 184 yards

6 iron - 146 yards

7 iron - 182 yards

If those numbers are accurate, you have 3 clubs which you hit essentially the same distance.

Brian Kuehn

You of course look at the numbers produced,

4 iron - 190 yards

5 iron - 184 yards

6 iron - 146 yards

7 iron - 182 yards

If those numbers are accurate, you have 3 clubs which you hit essentially the same distance.

There are a lot of punch out/low runner shots in those clubs. I rarely use anything over 7 iron most of the time. This is a direct result of the shorter courses I play. I do need to start using those clubs much more often so that I can become more comfortable with them for sure. Plus I struggle with controlling a flip in my swing which has led to some fat/thin shots. That's part of what I've been working on recently and why my handicap is what it is.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

... just move up! ... it seems really stupid to set yourself up for failure right from the start!

You are 100% correct.  As a double-digit handicapper, your decision to play one of the more forward tees should be applauded.  You understand you don't have the game for a longer, tougher course.  Work on the rest of your game and soon you will feel comfortable playing tougher tracks.

Brian Kuehn

Ive been playing in a scramble with about 20 guys every other week, for 3yrs now, there has honestly been less than a dozen times that we didnt go off of my drive, they even take mine over thiers when im off line because its that much closer to the hole, we also use a great number of my aproach shots, moral is, although i can perform well in this platform, i still dont score as well as i should on my own and i believe it has a lot to do with the fact that when im with them i get into a go for it state of mind and then when im on my own i find myself carrying that over to my regular game. When i catch myself and start playing smarter the scores get better, its just very hard to get out of that mode, it does seem boring at times not using driver, laying up, etc. but thats what it takes for me to score well.

Just curious if its just me, i know most people feel more confident with thier 3 wood, but for me, i feel more confident with my driver than my 3 Wood, i even feel more confident with my 3 iron, at least most of the time i know my miss with the 3 iron will be thin and still go near where im aiming, and still have some distance, with my 3wood it can go anywhere, i dont know what it is, im sure mental, but i just dont feel the confidence over it.

Driver, gap wedge, putter 3 best clubs in bag. Scramble vs stroke play I stopped playing scrambles due to needing more @ work stroke play. Good question.

Ya and from what others in my group say, they have trouble dealing with thier own game on off weeks too! Its something that i dont wanna give up though cuz its with all people from my community including my dad, we have tried some different formats but most just always wanna go back to normal best ball scramble, oh well, guess im just gonna have to focus more on me. The one good thing is i always hit last so if nobodys in good position i dont just whack the driver.

I play at sea level, in humid dense air, and soft fairways with no roll, as well as non-elevated tees. So if I played where you do, I would average 275 instead of 230. Lol.

I live in CO and effective playing length due to elevation is about one club from sea level not the 10-15% you see tossed around. Doesn't matter who you are the distance variance will be more about the quality of the shot than what city you are hitting it in. I use Game Golf and my club performance numbers are all over the place. Not talking punch out and stuff but actual full swing shots. The average is what it is but I have no idea what side of that number the ball is going to end up. It's not a little tight group with some outliers either. I can hit an 8i 120 or 180. These days I err on the side of caution. If it's not an exceptional ball striking day I assume it will be some degree of mishit and club up. How the holes setup plays a part in decision making too, uphill or downhill, wind, the lie all of it.

Dave :-)

But, but, but what if I was on an elevated tee box (100 feet above the fairway), on a fairway that sloped down a steep hill and was hard as a rock. And I was playing at 9000 feet above sea level and it was 80 degrees with 10% humidity. And I had a 40 mph wind to my back. And I was hitting a Pinnacle Gold Ultra distance ball. Then I can average 305?

But, but, but what if I was on an elevated tee box (100 feet above the fairway), on a fairway that sloped down a steep hill and was hard as a rock. And I was playing at 9000 feet above sea level and it was 80 degrees with 10% humidity. And I had a 40 mph wind to my back. And I was hitting a Pinnacle Gold Ultra distance ball. Then I can average 305?

On a mishit.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Note: This thread is 3177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!